Which is best free program for file synchronization?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #1 Katzenfreund, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    System: Windows 10

Requitement:

To synchronize specified files (docs, pics, music) on a removable USB drive with those of the main drive. Synchronization to be initiated manually, no need for continuous or automated sync.
    Ability to choose folders that will be synchronized, the choice to be remembered.
    Folders can include subsub...folders.
    Incremental propagation of additions, deletions and renames (if not incremental, it will take too long).
    Total size of files is considerable, so there should be no limitation in this respect requiring the Pro version.

Any suggestions for a good free tool?

2. Marcustv

Marcustv MDL Junior Member

Jun 7, 2015
    A good program is FreeFileSync

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks, it looks good, and I vaguely remember hearing about it before, which strengthens your suggestion.
    Can you confirm that it does incremental backups only incorporating changes from previous backup?
    (Apparently you have to exclude adware during installation, but that's no problem).

I'd like to also hear from other people using it.

4. darkstar297

darkstar297 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Create Sinchronicity. Free, no adware. try it

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄˄
    Thanks, but your advice came too late. I’ve already installed FreeFileSync recommended above, which seems to be working satisfactorily, though some of the options are not quite clear to me, e.g. the difference between “Synchronize Mirror” and “Synchronize Update”. So I’ll play with it a bit longer and if I don’t like it, I’ll have Create Synchronicity in mind as the next one to try.

I did have a look at it though and it seems rather light at 220 kB as compared to 11 MB of FreeFileSync

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄˄
    Interesting. In what ways is SyncFolders better than FreeFileSync?

I’ve been using FreeFileSync for some time and it worked well, but today there was something momentarily funny. If it turns out to be faulty, I’ll be looking for another one.

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. oldschooldino

oldschooldino MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    I like DSynchronize. It's a portable app.

10. Marcustv

Marcustv MDL Junior Member

Jun 7, 2015
    #12 Marcustv, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    I like PureSync Personal Edition :p

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And it works the same way on various OS

12. JCZ-45

JCZ-45 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2016
    I also use FreeFileSync to Mirror Files from my main computer to my NAS for backup.

FreeFileSync is up to version 8.1, which works just fine, however, I am still using version 4.6 because I prefer the user interface.

I also use SyncBack, but it does not offer the degree of control that FreeFileSync offers.

I hope this helps.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I am still using the previous FreeFileSync version 8.8 dated Jan 8, 2017, because the new version is blocked by my AV (AVIRA). As a matter of principle, I refuse to disable my AV for the sake of any app that can’t/won’t make a non-objectionable installer.

Further, if this continues with the next update, I’ll consider replacing this dubious tool.

14. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    allway sync is my default sync app, its easy to setup. Do check it out, it might satisfy your requirements

15. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a ? about SyncFolders....I read the synopsis of what each scan does and I see no difference between copy and the backup mode???

16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Syncback Free is excellent and have been using it for >6 years.
    There is also Syncback Pro but it is paid but I quit using using it 3 years ago when I found syncback free is quite good enough for me.

17. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    long time FreeFileSync user. As with many small open source project, author is coder not graphic designer. UI ugly as hell.
    But i do not spend whole day syncing my files, so im fine with it. Good pro.