[UEFITool] UEFI firmware image viewer and editor

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by CodeRush, Oct 8, 2013.

1. aler+

aler+ MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2014
  2. bosshogs

bosshogs MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    CodeRush, would you know how to get over the security checksum with Asus BIOS after modding them?

3. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    aler+, I do think such software can be found somewhere deep inside intel.com, but there is none I know or used. All motherboards I know capable of descriptor override are doing it by using GPIO line connected to HDA_SDO, i.e. built-in pinmod.

4. aler+

aler+ MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2014
    From readme for me_tools:
    "me_util.py
    ========
    This script allows you to send HECI (MEI) messages to the ME..."

From "Manufacturing with Intel ME 8.x on Intel 7 series / C216 chipset family" (11.2011):
    "HMRFPO = Host ME Region Flash Protection Override. This message allow the BIOS (or a software tool working through the BIOS) to request that the ME Region of SPI Flash be temporarily unlocked..."

So I thought that I could send a message "HMRFPO" to the ME region and it will be temporarily unlocked. And i wanted to use for this me_tools...
    I mistaken?

P.s.: about Igor works: i read his presentation from Breakpoint 2014 - very nice job...

5. butterneck

butterneck MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2014
    Sorry to bother you @CodeRush, but I'm experiencing some problems flashing the patched BIOS. I get an error "failed, wrong image format". I'm running an MSI GE70 2OE

File-names etc. are correct (same as org.) and the output of the path process is:

patch: replaced 10 bytes at offset 0x00001366 75080FBAE80F89442430 -> EB080FBAE80F89442430
    Image patched

I appreciate any help, but totally understand if it's too much to ask.

Kind regards,
    Peter

6. butterneck

butterneck MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks CodeRush. I've tried that, both the patched kernel and the KernelPM=true flag in Clover, still get early reboot. Installing osx works fine though. I'm a bit clueless right now...

7. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    @luke, add MT7 to the MBSN as 3 first symbols and it will be OK for that board.

8. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Thanks for the DTS Key sticker i have one off a old board which no longer works i was going to use this but its 4 characters to sort do i just put some random numbers in front of it ?

9. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I don't think you need DTS key at all for this board, but yes, you can write anything there.

10. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I was going to use it to make a UUID but the DTS key is 4 characters to sort to use as a UUID thanks.

11. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Umm after changing my MAC ADDRESS with the FD44Editor the driver will no longer load it says This device cannot start (Code 10)
    {Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful

Could this be a problem with using the FD44Editor on my bios image flashing without editing the image using FD44Editor it works just fine? Note I'm using a programmer not DOS . Using a programmer should mean i don't need to run gberefl in DOS FD44Editor shouldn't corrupt the image.

i get PDR Region does not exist when running gberefl and it doesn't fix the problem with my Internet controller.

Any help on fixing this would be much appreciated i can go on using the default bios image from Asus but would like to get my Mac Address back if possible thanks.

12. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Open your BIOS image with UEFITool, extract GBE region, MAC address is the first 6 bytes of it, change them using hex editor, replace region in UEFITool, save the image and flash it, it must be fine then.
    I don't know what is the reason behind that, will investigate. FD44Editor is an old dirty solution to the problem solved long ago, so I recommend AMI DMITool for such things now.

13. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Is there a link to AMI DMITool as i can't find it any where, Also i did what you suggested but im still getting the same problem i replaced the GBE region in the file updated with FD44Editor im going to try a new bios file later today, If you could point me to there other locations of the bytes i need to change that would be helpful thanks.