Problems with "official" KMS Activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dynAdZ, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    Hi community,

I'm currently upgrading our systems to be able to activate Windows 10 Enterprise upon release. I've tested KMS activation with Windows 10 Enterprise (Build 10240) but an error pops up.
    I have following setup:
    - Windows Server Standard 2012 R2
    - Windows Server Datacenter 2012 R2 KMS Key installed and activated on the machine
    - Hotfix KB 3058168 is applied on the server to be able to activate OS newer than Windows 8.1
    - Two Windows 10 Enterprise test machines (1 VM, 1 physical machine)

I can activate all clients and servers with the KMS except of my Windows 10 machines, they will only show error 0xC004F074 (The Key Management Server (KMS) is unavailable) and cancel the process.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    If you tell us what KMS solution you use and how. It works fine here :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    I'm using the Windows default KMS which installs itself automatically when you run slmgr.vbs /ipk (kms key) and slmgr.vbs /ato

The KMS publishes itself on the companies DNS records if you run these commands.

If you install Windows Enterprise clients those automatically activate against the KMS as soon as they "see" them, however it doesn't work with Windows 10 as I stated above.

Thank you for your help!

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    There is no such default KMS. You either need to contact a KMS Host Server in net/lan or an Emulator.

Every VL Version needs at least to be activated against a KMS Host once to start the automatic process :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    He uses CSVLK, which propagates via DNS.

But I'm pretty sure new CSVLKs will be required for activation of Win 10 machines. CSVLK is downwards compatible, but not upwards. So Windows 10 machines won't activate against a Windows 8.x/Server 2012Rx CSVLK.

On the other hand, KMS emulators simply don't care.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Not sure he's referring to this :g:.

7. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015

Correct I'm using a Channel C KMS Key, to be detailed it's a Server 2012 R2 Datacenter key which should be able to activate all server and desktop OS. CSVLK was the word I was missing.
    There was a hotfix for Server 2012 R2 running KMS host so the host would be able to activate OS newer than Windows 8.1, found here: support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3058168

If you are right and Windows 10 would not be able to activate against a CSVLK for Windows Server 2012 R2 and/or Windows 8.x, which key should I use instead?
    Windows Server 2012 R2 is the very latest Channel C CSVLK you can use.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The Hotfix is only to make those machines technically aware that a Windows 10 exists (it installs the new SKU IDs and implements a new algo to deal with the longer ePIDs).

Right now, no key. After Windows 10 is released, they surely will issue a new CSVLK if you are in contract with them. That's the legal side, else everyone with a 8.x CSVLK could simply activate those newer machines. There's no free upgrade for businesses.

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    :doh: ... reading definitely helps, i completely skipped that info :eek:.

Hmm need to test myself later to activate Win 10 against the updated KMS Host in my VM :g:.

10. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Its currently in-possible to truly activate Windows 10 Enterprise as we speak.

The Partner E Service/Servers are not even turned on or configured yet.

FYI: Regarding Cracks and Hacks Activation That's A Complete Different Can Of Warms If That's Your Choice and Direction. (just go easy on yourself when you go this route) when your system starts to go wild in the very near future M$ isn't as slow and lame as you think in these times.

11. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    #11 dynAdZ, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    (OP)
    Useful information thanks! So Microsoft should release a new CSVLK for me/my enterprise contract which is able to activate Windows 10? I guess I should contact MS directly to learn more about dates?

12. Stig82

Stig82 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2011
    Try looking up the updated page regarding KMS Client Setup Keys from Microsoft.

It has the new keys for Windows 10 :)

13. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    Yes but these are GVLKs, I need them CVLKS :eek:

14. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

That's what I would Suggest.

Don't muck around with any Enterprise Versions regarding activations in these times.

Home and Pro there is a little lee way but not in the Windows Enterprise Group and Services.

I Suggest Keep Far Away If Your Not On A Plan with M$ Regarding Enterprise Services

15. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    gVLK not CSVLK :cool2:.

16. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

That's Correct Mister SlaveSevenSeven

gVLK the Service is still not up or configured as we speak (time frame un-know at this time) I just got off the phone with M$ Enterprise Services

We will be informed as soon ASAP just fully paid service members will via email or by a confirmation call

17. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Your welcome, stand by it will not be too long before we get contacted by the M$ Enterprise Services Branch in what to do and our links to downloads and keys

18. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    Ok since we have an Enterprise Agreement and Software Assurance, I'm sure they will hurry up a bit. I'll call them by beginning of August and see what I can find out.
    Thank you again for your help! :hug2:

19. dynAdZ

dynAdZ MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2015
    Has anyone had any success meanwhile? The Windows 10 keys showed up in the VLSC but I'm still getting the same error on my machines. I called Microsoft support but they don't know anything, they even tried to tell me the MSDN ISOs and those from VLSC are different :rolleyes: