1. wasd

wasd MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2011
    MSMG Telemetry packages are also in the list? To remove I mean.

2. Toetje583

Toetje583 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    I'm right before doing a clean install can we expect the new release this week? or i'm happy to test your beta build aswell I need to create 4 new Windows 10 RS2 images.

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes all the known packages related to Telemetry stuffs have been added for removal.

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes this week, I will release ToolKit v7.0

5. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Don't know if already mentioned. That gimmicky Paint 3D thing will also be on the hitlist for removal?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Every time I remove a bunch of components - whether it's with MSMG or manually - I always use the Repair-WindowsImage PowerShell DISM Cmdlets to cleanup and resetbase.

Once completed, I then integrate all drivers/updates/packages/etc.

Then, before creating an iso, I Rename-Item install.wim to install_old.wim, then use the Export-WindowsImage Cmdlet to compress the install_old.wim back into a sometimes significantly smaller install.wim.

On another note, MSMG is a very convenient tool and works well, but like others have said, it can often make the install.wim significantly larger in comparison to what was added to it (i.e. adding just DaRT can often beef it up 300 megs). Hardly a deal-breaker for such a great and convenient tool, though, when optimizing/compressing the wim can be easily done using PowerShell or wimlib-imagex.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes, That's been added for removal.

8. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    For Single Index servicing the Toolkit will not increase the size but for Multi-Index servicing, when adding stuffs to Windows Recovery Image, the ToolKit will copy the data to each WinRE.wim image and saving them will result in different image and this will increase the overall image size.

I will be making changes to ToolKit to mount only the first Index's Recovery Image and copy the modified Image to the rest of the Indexes, so that all the Indexes in the Install.wim Image will be having the same WinRE.wim Image and this can reduce the overall Image size.

9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I always only service a single index. The size increase is of no matter to me, to be honest, because it's extremely minimal. Moreover, I do add certain things, too, and some drivers are quite large in their entirety.

I should have clarified that I generally Export-Image and compress when I'd like the modified installation to fit on a DVD-R. The actual difference in size between my compressed .wim and the regular MSMG .wim is not substantial but it can cut off the amount necessary so it fits on a DVD-R.

I'm looking forward to your upcoming 6.0 and the updates for v1703 of Windows 10. For now I've been using PowerShell, and a little tool I made, to fully remove all traces of various Metro Apps and packages, as well as incorporate certain things so they're part of the actual install (Windows Media Center, batch scripts for mass "reg add" commands into the WIM's registry, etc.).

One particular feature I'd like to see implemented into MSMG at some point, and forgive me if this has been discussed, is allowing registry hive mounting for the end-user to be able to add certain custom tweaks that are part of the custom WIM itself.

10. Zanza-kun

Zanza-kun MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2012
    Thank you ! Good luck.

11. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Is it possible to remove the stuff that's in the windows Accessories list, and redundant stuff in C:\windows like write?

12. lomticksoftoast

lomticksoftoast MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #1712 lomticksoftoast, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Like you, in most cases the size increase is not a problem, but I do own a bios based PC that refuses to 'see' a USB pendrive larger than 4GB in Post. I must get the MSMG ISO small enough to fit on a 4GB pendrive for that PC.
    Where I disagree with you and MSMG, is that even when doing the basic, single index build steps linked to in my signature, I always have at least a 1GB size increase in the WIM. Which used to leave me a bit baffled since I'm doing far more reduction than addition to the WIM!
    If you really want to get maximum compression, use Feartamixg's ESD compression steps linked to in my signature ... the advantage is everything gets done inside MSMG toolkit.

13. lomticksoftoast

Nov 12, 2009
    Is now a good time to make 'special requests' aka 'begging'...?
    MSMG, could you please make an option for Windows 10 (including LTSB) in
    • "Remove Windows Components Menu" to remove
      • "All Windows Components, but OneDrive"
    thank you!

14. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    i made similar requests earlier, but i think youll see this only in the GUI version.................. whenever that gets released

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Why is that ondrive is easy to install after wards

16. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The only system I can tolerate the length of time it takes to compress a WIM to an ESD is my enterprise server with its dual 18-core Xeon E7 processors. If anything, I will split it into swim files but I've only done that once.

17. zakarynutty

zakarynutty MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2017
    Hi i am new to this. downloaded toolkit v6.9 to activate windows 10. built my first pc and dont know how to activate it. Thanks so much to any help :)

18. lomticksoftoast

Nov 12, 2009
    I didn't know that.
    I thought for Windows 10, onedrive had to be baked in.
    Do you use the onedrive installer you get from MS?