1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It can be slimmed down quite a bit, simply by replacing the winre.wim in index 2 and up with the one from the first, every seperate winre.wim will increase the overall size with it's own size.

2. Feartamixg

Feartamixg MDL Addicted

May 15, 2016
    Replace step 22 with:
    22) [1] Source -> [8] Convert Source WIM Image to ESD Image

That shrinks my ISO file size considerably.

3. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    How do you accomplish that?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1. Use abbodi1406's W10UI integration script to integrate the updates, it updates the winre in the first index and replaces all others with that one, by default.
    Or
    2. Copy the winre.wim from index 1 and insert it in the others, manually.

5. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    So from the mount\winre\1 folder copy the contents to 2,3,4,etc? Then when you are done with all you do just save, and unmount?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #1646 Enthousiast, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    No not in MSMG, you have to do it manually after MSMG finishes it's job, MSMG mounts all winre.wims and when you apply it unmounts /commits them.

When MSMG is done, you can open the install.wim using 7zip, extract the winre.wim from index 1 and next mount index 2, 3, 4, etcetc... and insert the extracted winre.wim.

My result:
    x64 AIO (20 win 15063 x64 indexes) iso = 3.41 GB (3,667,427,328 bytes) Nothing removed, DaRT and DX9c added + uptodate.

x86 version: 2.64 GB (2,845,671,424 bytes)

7. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    #1647 bebj1957, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007

Will this prevent the install from asking for a lot of free space, like 40-55GB in my case?

9. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Yes, disabled is fine. But if you remove Defender from the image, then you will face problems.

Cheers.

10. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks I tried that and it shrank it down to 4.08GB from 5.10GB. Now I'm going to try Enthousiast suggestions.

11. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    I hope you kept the wims for that.

12. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    Yes. I always keep untouched official ISO's.

13. adn927

adn927 MDL Novice

May 19, 2016
    Can i delete Index from Win 10 ISO using MSMG? Untouch ISO included Pro/Home, i want my ISO only have Pro. I want to reduce size of ISO. :confused:

14. lomticksoftoast

lomticksoftoast MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I've never had MSMG toolkit require more than 10GB to process an ISO. I hope that answers your question.

15. Wishbringer

Wishbringer MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    8/1/3 - delete what you want, but don't expect too much reduction. Nearly 99% of editions are identical.

16. Feartamixg

Feartamixg MDL Addicted

May 15, 2016
    Let us know. I'm interested if the size be be reduced any more.

17. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    #1657 Windows 10 User, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Every time I click in "Create new ISO file" in Win10PE SE (2017-02-02) the process crashes in the beginning stating:

FileCopy - Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Projects\Tools\Win10PESE\mkisofs.exe] to: [%BaseDir%\Temp\Win10PESE] Directory name is not valid.

How can I solve this? It doesn't matter what I select or not, in which location the files were extracted (the ISO and the program ones) and which PC I try.

Also, after I used MSMG ToolKit and installed Windows 10 the Pictures, Videos, Downloads and Music folders are not in my native language but in english!

EDIT: I did a clean install and they are now in my native language again. Strange. It looks like they are in my native language some times and in english other times... Oh, and I finally managed to uninstall the Xbox app for good. I did a clean install, installed all the Office 2016 Professional Plus programs (including OneDrive for Business and Skype for Business. I had a different version which didn't let me chose which programs I wanted to install) and afterwards I removed the Xbox apps (I don't know why only one of them appear in Start Menu) with CCleaner. After that I restarted the PC and for some reason I still had the Xbox app. I removed it again with the help of CCleaner, restarted the PC and it didn't appear in Start Menu nor in Apps & Features. It doesn't even appear in Start Menu if I write its name.

EDIT 2: I did another clean install and this time I installed all but OneDrive for Business and Skype for Business and I couldn't remove the Xbox app from Apps & Features (only from Start Menu with a PowerShell command and it still appeared in it if I wrote its name)...

18. lomticksoftoast

lomticksoftoast MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #1658 lomticksoftoast, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Short answer
    choose ...
    [1] Source -> [1] Select Source from <DVD> Folder ->[1] (or whatever number is Pro) (Not '[All]!!)

Long Answer ...
    == Basic Set-up ==
    Toolkit host PC: x64
    (if your host PC is x86, edit the provided code)​
    Toolkit version: 6.9
    Toolkit Location and name: C:\ToolKit-xxx
    (if you name or locate the ToolKit folder differently, edit the provided code)​
    OS Image: ISO, ESD or ISO to ESD - instructions for all types shown below!
    OS Image: Windows 10 (all versions) or LTSB 2016 (Version 1607 | Build 14393) [LTSB is in next post]
    OS Image Binary: x64 or x86
    Template Source:
    == Source: Windows 10 ISO ==
    Start MSMG terminal
    [8] Tools -> [3] [2] Disable Warnings
    ... Still in Tools -> [3] [1] [k] Makes color Red & Yellow

[1] Source -> [3] Extract Source from DVD ISO Image (cut and paste the name of ISO)
    [1] Source -> [1] Select Source from <DVD> Folder ->[1] (or whatever number is Pro) (Not '[All]!!)

[4] Remove -> [1] Remove Default Metro Apps -> [3] All Apps Except Store & Xbox

(These are the steps to use if you want to keep OneDrive)
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [A] Microsoft Biometrics
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> ['B'] Microsoft Connect App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [D] Microsoft Telemetry Services
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [E] Microsoft Skype Video App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [F] Windows Contact Support App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [G] Windows Content Delivery Manager
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [H] Windows Cortana & Search App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> ['I'] Windows Desktop File Explorer App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [J] Windows Embedded Features
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [K] Windows Home Group
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [L] Windows Take Test App
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [M] Windows Quick Assist App

[4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [1] Flash
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [2] Edge
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [3] Hyper-V
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [4] IE
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [5] Defender
    [4] Remove -> [3] Remove Windows Components -> [2] Advance Components -> [8] Restore

Clean the Image
    (I'm not 100% sure this step is necessary unless you're using MSMG to integrate cumulative updates)
    Do *not* unmount image in MSMG Toolkit to do clean-up
    Open a second administrator command terminal
    enter this code:
    Code:
    Dism /Image:C:\ToolKit-xxx\Mount\Install\ /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    After the code completes, close the second command terminal

Back in MSMG terminal
    [3] Integrate -> [3] Windows Features -> [A] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    [3] Integrate -> [3] Windows Features -> [D] Microsoft Win32 Calculator
    [3] Integrate -> [3] Windows Features -> [H] Microsoft DirectX 9.0C (Many add this, I don't)
    [3] Integrate -> [5] Custom Features -> [2] Fraunhofer

[6] Apply -> [1] Apply Changes to Source WIM Images

Compress the WIM...
    I've found that "[6] Apply -> [3] Re-Build Source WIM Images" only works when your source is an ESD image
    Do *not* unmount image in MSMG Toolkit to do compression
    Open folder C:\ToolKit-xxx\DVD\sources
    Rename install.wim as 'big_install.wim'
    Open a second administrator command terminal
    enter this code:
    Code:
    C:\ToolKit-xxx\Bin\x64\imagex /compress maximum /export C:\ToolKit-xxx\DVD\sources\big_install.wim 1 C:\ToolKit-xxx\DVD\sources\install.wim
    After code completes, close the second command terminal
    Delete 'big_install.wim' in folder C:\ToolKit-xxx\DVD\sources
    The much smaller 'install.wim' is your new compressed WIM image

Make your new ISO using the MSMG terminal
    [7] Target -> [1] Make a DVD ISO Image
    [x] Quit
    == ESD compression of ISO suggested by Feartamixg ==
    You gain an additional 500 to 700 MB, but compression takes a long, long time!
    Do the already described steps for whatever OS you are installing, but after you …
    then
    [1] Source -> [8] Convert Source WIM Image to ESD Image
    Make your new ISO
    [x] Quit

== ESD compression when you're using an ESD image as your source ==

Keep an untouched original version of your ESD image:
    Copy your ESD into "C:\ToolKit-xxx\DVD\sources"
    If necessary, rename the copied ESD 'Install.esd'
    [1] Source -> [5] Convert Windows Store ESD Image to WIM Image
    From here, do the already described steps for whatever OS you are installing, but after you …
    then
    [6] Apply -> [3] Re-Build Source WIM Images
    Make your new ISO
    [x] Quit
    == Integrate Windows Updates ==
    *Don't* use MSMG to integrate updates

Windows 7
    When I processed a Windows 7 ISO using MSMG toolkit, I did all the MSMG stuff and then used Simplix Pack by boss911 (UP7 Integrator) to inject the cumulative updates.

Windows 10…
    I use WUMT with the WUMT Wrapper script on an installed OS
    abbodi1406's W10UI script looks like your best bet to integrate cumulative updates…
    … Or wait for MSMG GUI version

LTSB…
    LTSB only applies security updates, so … you can just relax and get on with your life!
    After I've installed the OS, I either manually apply the latest cumulative update or let windows update do its job.
    == What about "Remove Default Metro Apps Association"? ==
    There is no harm in applying this setting, I usually don't bother.
    AFAIK, this step is optional. There are only certain cases where you need it.
    In an old post--lost in the mydigitallife thread hack--MSMG said that if you remove the Metro Apps, you automatically remove the associations.

19. Prezzi

Prezzi MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2013
    By removing Cortana and Search App, I will no longer have the option to search? Is it possible to remove Cortana and stay with the search, or which way to be able to search when removing Cortana and Search App?