MS Edge extensions - can they be forced?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 22, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I did something CRAZY. I set MS Edge to be my default browser, over my beloved Cyberfox, because after Creator's Update MS Edge got FAST - REAL FAST, loading itself and pages faster than any browser I ever tried, especially once you tweak it using about:flags.

I am having an issue with MS Edge extension known as uBlock Origin. It, for some reason, stopped working a few days ago and although it downloads and installs from Store without problems, it does not show up in Edge and when I go back to Store to see what is up, it tells me uBlock Origin extension needs repair. Repairing does not do anything and its just a never-ending cycle. AdBlock Plus and other extensions work fine, but they suck compared to uBlock Origin.

Another solution is to use uBlock Origin from "Unknown Source", but these extensions do not automatically load with Edge until suddently a pop-up message asks if I want to turn on extensions from Unknown Sources once I've already been browising for a while OR I have to just re-enable it every single time I use Edge. Either way is annoying.

- Does anyone else have issues with uBlock Origin from Store??? Have you managed to fix it???
    - Is there a way to force extensions from Unknown Sources to load automatically with Edge, just like they would if they were not from Unknown Sources, but were from the official Store download???

FYI: Tweaking Edge in About:Flags has no positive or negative effect on making official uBlock Origin extension (from MS Store) work...

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Another question:
    - Is it somehow possible to change "Bing Lookup" to "Google Lookup"? Its a feature that let's you research about whichever text you highlighted, but it only does it through Bing, even if Google is your default search engine...

3. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    I have no problem with Ublock which is from the store, but my gripe with is with IDM which is from "Unknown Sources". IDM has to be reactivated every time I start Edge which is a pain. There is probably a registry fix to stop the nagging but i haven't find it yet.
    P.S. Anyway IDM doesn't catch YouTube links in Edge so I have given up on it.

4. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    "Bing Lookup" looks like an integrated feature and you cannot change/configure it. Someone might write an extension to add a similiar feature, though. :D But I don't know why anyone would prefer Google over Bing, results from Bing are actually not that bad in most scenarios (IMHO).

Regarding "automatically load extensions from unknown sources": Unfortunately, this is not possible. You have to click the button to allow them every time you run Edge. Officially, it's a security feature, but I think the intention is to also have some kind of a nag because they don't like people to use extensions from "unknown" (= not from the Store) but maybe still trustworthy sources. I mean, if you're a power user, there is no such thing as an "unknown source" for things like that. You know what website you're on before you click "download".

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Google does the same thing with Chrome when you load an Developer extension. It slow-loads the browser, pauses, gives you the warning, you cancel, then other extensions load. That was annoying so someone out there wrote a .bat script file that patches one of Chrome's DLL files and prevents that warning from coming up. If it can be done for Chrome, it CAN be done for Edge...

6. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Problem is that Chrome is a classic Win32 application, so it's easy to patch some of its DLLs. Edge, on the other hand, is a UWP app, it lives within an app container and runs sandboxed, so you'd have to temper with its files in SystemApps, but I assume there are mechanisms in place that prevent you from running apps with patched DLLs due to a signature mismatch or the like (I can be wrong, of course, but then their whole security model is junk if it was that easy).