Is Reality an Illusion ?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Is Reality an Illusion ?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Don't Know

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    And if reality is an illusion, won't that mean that VR headsets are actually R headsets?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    LOL..the combination 'virtual reality' is senseless either way...the same would be unreal reality, or a white black...

No, it would be still VR since another illusion (an illusion of the illusion) does not make things real...
    The question is: How does one know to have woken up from the 'last' dream?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Just wanted to say that if you told this to the landlord you may end up paid for life :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I said I stood up for those who are not here but are attacked - and that makes me a decent guy, as opposed to you who are but a weakling for continuing to do this BS!!!

Me up for Edison? Are YOU mad?!? Go clean your soul, FCOL...

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I missed that part...I had no idea you're the president of Dead Philosophers Society. In that case, my deepest apologies, Your Highness.

From my perspective, he's part of the same lot, so...

Again, a matter of perspective. I enjoy every minute of it. My soul is spotless.

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I was a president of Club of Professors and students of Philosophy and Sociology at University of Zagreb, yes...:rolleyes:

And I did the right thing and you did the wrong thing, full stop! Nothing washes that away!

But never mind that - did no one ever teach you even elementary right from wrong?!?

Have you no minimal self-insight? Is this what an enlightened person does?

Your soul seems to me to be ripe and ready for some dry cleaning...

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #168 SOCRATE_MMXII, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    @R29k: I was thinking of the same movie when I wrote "my soul is spotless". I was wondering who'll see the catch and you did. ;)

And I like this Chen who says:
    @gorski: right and wrong? Really? :eek:
    Then all I can say to you is: OMG!!! :eek:
    I seem to have partially guess your position, so Your Highness: my deepest apologies.:worthy::worthy::worthy:

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #169 Yen, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Very bold/un-scientific to conclude "....sees no evidence that the universe is a hologram" using a hypothesis: holographic principle=holographic noise!
    That means failure to detect anything cannot tell us if the universe is a hologram or not.

Also the actual scientific subject is far more 'general': It is holographic principle not universe as we see it=hologram

For instance Strominger: Universe is an image projected backwards in time from a hologram located at the boundary of the cosmos, in the ‘infinite future’…
    This means more and more of the hologram comes into view never being completely unveiled.

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #170 JFKI, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That's easy, when the newspaper on the end table is dated 20 something years in the future :confused:, you discover that you have a beautiful wife :tasty:, and your boss of the past half dozen or so years is alive and is actually your father in law.

Watch "The thirteenth floor" sometime for some really interesting twists on your question. ;)

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    In my humble opinion, asking the question if the universe might be a holgram, is as much a proof as we will ever get, that the human mind ought to stick with questions as: "Should I carry an umbrella when I go out this afternoon?"

But... I enjoyed that hologram question very much. I thank everybody involved for a great belly laugh.... :rasta:

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Everysooften Yen comes posting while he's high, so always a good laugh... :D :D :D

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #173 Yen, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Sounds interesting I'll watch it asap....in this regard 'Inception' comes 'into my mind' :biggrin:

Yeah value is an illusion, too. To one it is valuable to think about a holographic principle (Bekenstein, Hawking.etc..) to the others the works of western philosophers (Hegel, etc.).

BUT: An objective measurement about how much one is involved in this illusion is to measure the volume (NO michelson interferometer needed, mic. only) one cries out when the others are not appreciating the same illusionary value...:) :D

To laugh is very healthy….highly recommended.… imagine how wise my words finally will be when I am clear! :biggrin::biggrin::D :p

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I think this goes here :tea:
    “They say faith is taking the first step when you can’t see the whole staircase. Actually, wisdom is seeing the elevator behind it that would have taken you to the top floor.”
    Shannon L. Alder

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You mean, if I multiply muddy and misty with xyz > I still get muddy and misty, m8...:D:biggrin::D

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Just to get that clear: I dislike Hawking even more than Hegel. He could not know any better and laid the groundwork for Marx. The “Sein bestimmt das Bewusstsein!” will remain true, while Hawking is valued so highly because... he sits in a wheelchair.

I remember his silly notion about the loss of information when it comes to black holes. Check out:

The Black Hole War, Leonhard Susskind

NOTHING of the what Hawking said will still be considered true in 50 years…

17. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Thank you. I've said this loooong ago.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I like Hawking as human, not because of his academic works (tbh to me they are useless). My greatest respect how he handles his blow of fate. (ALS)….

I don’t think he is valued because of ALS….
    I mean why is a scientist valued by other scientists? How works ‘the establishment’?
    Hawking has become famous by his books nobody of the non-scientists would know him without them….and for the ‘establishment’ well **cough** …let me say it this way….you have to know the right persons at the right time….but to become famous in the public you have to be ‘human’…with insight to human ‘matters’…no Fachidiot. :D

“NOTHING of the what Hawking said will still be considered true in 50 years…”
    It is not about 'truth' (that lasts a period of time)…..it’s about basics and models/theories which shall be improved/unified….I think Hawking himself would never have such a claim.

IMHO Hawking suffers from the ‘general issue’ I have mentioned already….consider his situation all he still has is his intellect/mind….he is tangled up in ‘appearances’ and actually creates more and more questions by his thinking…trying to tie loose ends.

Science and western philosophy are suffering from the same sickness, because it is actually a human sickness.

But the ‘executive’ is science. Science brought/brings technology but also due to it exploitation and pollution of the nature and will actually accelerate the doom of humankind...afaik Hawking himself said humankind will not survive the next 1000 years..but also 'if we cannot manage to leave the earth'.... to do the same with another planet?! :rolleyes:

Marx might have got insight with dialectical materialism, but what if ‘humans’ cannot live what he said about capital and communism?
    Consider the breakdown of the Soviet Union and the abuse of ‘Marx’ by Pol Pot in Cambodia

Self-awareness is not an intellectual process and hence no matter of studying science and or Phil, it is an illusion to think so. It does not come from outside ‘in the future’…

@gorski xyz=-1 :p:p:p

19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Hawking is...just another puppet.

Tesla gave humanity the technology to clean this planet and to travel to the stars, but that is kept well hidden by those who rule this planet, but humanity is in denial and "loves" to be "guided": buy this, wear that, eat this, have that job, get this title and so on.
    Poor sods on this planet just align themselves like Pavlovian dogs ready to drool at masters' command. But hey, "we discovered the black holes are black and that crap stinks", forgetting about poverty, war, hunger and death lurking at every corner.
    Who needs that when we have Hawking, Hegel, Freud and Darwin to praise, isn't it?

20. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #180 ThomasMann, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

Yen, May I point out to you, that nothing you wrote even remotely contradicts my statement, that his fame is the result of ALS? I have NOT criticised that, I simply wanted to point out, that there are other physicists who are probably better than he is at their subject, but healthy and so remain unknown. That is why I mentioned Susskind. Hawking insisted on something quite stupid and Susskind was right. Yet, EVERYONE here knows Hawing and probably a handful have ever heard off Susskind.
    I mean how stupid do you have to be to actually declare that humanity will be gone in another 1000 years and that, joke of all jokes, we will actually be able to settle on another planet? Does no one read any research about long-distance spacetravel for humans would mean?
    To compare Hawking to Feynman is a joke! You watch F’s lectures on Youtube?

About Marx you read too much in my words. I meant exactly what wrote and NOT one thing more!
    “Das Sein bestimmt das Bewusstsein.”
    Everybody who makes predictions about the future makes an ass of himself! EVERYBODY! Maybe in 1848 that was not known, but now it is.
    To predict, if humans will ever change the way they handle their greed… no one can tell.

I personally believe (do NOT know!) that electronic implants, genetic alterations, voluntary or forced, will change humans sooner or later. I admit I am glad that I will no longer be alive when that actually will be possibly.
    Right now humans have not even be able to accept that their interpretation of the role of DNS is very, very far from the far more complicated truth.

Scientists at work:

[​IMG]
    Kostenloses Bilderhosting