Is Reality an Illusion ?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Is Reality an Illusion ?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Don't Know

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    What beats me is, given that reality is an illusion, why do some people have the illusion that they are poor when others have the illusion that they are rich?

2. CheesePokemonGO

CheesePokemonGO MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2016
    I'd have to say reality is an illusion, depending on how we define both those words.

But if we start with the whole Solipsism thing, why would it make sense that we are certain that our own mind exists but everything else isn't when we could just extend that into the Simulation Hypothesis and include ourselves into the simulation, thus.. we can't be certain our own mind is real and not just a simulation... and honestly they could spiral on each other forever. Until you reach your "True" mind or the "Top" simulation.

Tangentially:
    I firmly do not believe in Free Will. It's more comforting to oneself to believe it exists, but I struggle with the concept of True Randomness, nothing we "fully" comprehend acts randomly, its only when we get into areas we do not, that such a word comes to use. I think its akin to the whole "we know A, B, C" and not knowing D, Theists going "ah ha, that's God".. until we figure out D, and God gets relegated to E or whatever doesn't fall into the "known" category.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. highpoint

highpoint MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    The A Theory and The B Theory
    https:// plato. stanford. edu/entries/time/

any case time is only theoretical, made up by man to justify presence of being.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    :eek:Justify?:confused: Ahem...:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
    #206 emk810, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    All Experience Is Real

Fiona: Can you explain to me how you know this is all an illusion?

Rupert: When it is said that the world is an illusion, it means that the world as it is normally conceived to be, is an illusion. The world is normally conceived to exist in its own right, separate from and independent of the Awareness or Consciousness that knows or experiences it. Nobody has ever experienced such a world, because it would be impossible to have an experience without Consciousness. Hence it is said to be an illusion.

However, this does not mean that experience is an illusion.

Fiona: How we arrived at being a human being?

Rupert: We are not a human being. We are simply Being itself, that is, the Knowing Presence in all experience. We limit ourselves to being a human when we exclusively identify this Being which we are, with a little cluster of sensations called the body.

Fiona:....and then told it is an illusion, that our ego’s are an illusion, that we are not the body or the mind, that I am that?

Rupert: The ‘ego’ is the entity that is imagined to exist when Awareness or Being is believed to be limited to a body. Look for that entity and you will not find it. Hence it is said to be an illusion.

Fiona: And what is ‘that’ and how do you know that is that?

Rupert: ‘That’ is Awareness, which is the name we give to whatever is seeing or aware of these words. It is also aware of your thoughts, images, bodily sensations and perceptions. It is undeniably present, but if we look for it we do not find it as an object. It is a ware of all objects but is not itself an object. If we cannot find it as an object what makes us think it is located in the head or the body?

Fiona: If consciousness is all there is, how do you know that?

Rupert: Simply because it is my experience. When we watch a film we seem to see three dimensions of space, but in fact we see only the two dimensional screen. Likewise experience seems to be made of objects and entities but in fact is only made of Consciousness.

Look very closely and you will find that there is nothing in your experience that is separate from Consciousness and if you look closer you will find that the only substance to all experience is the same Consciousness.

Fiona: Stephen Wolinsky says the only reason we believe we are here is because we have a brain and a nervous system that buys into the senses, how do you know that?

Rupert: I don’t know about the brain and the nervous system, but I know that without the mind (in the broadest sense of the word, to include all thinking, imagining, sensing and perceiving) there is no sense of being a human nor any sense of a world.

Ask yourself: Do I cease to be in deep sleep? No! But do I know that I am a human or that there is a world when I am deeply asleep? No. Therefore ‘I’ am independent of the mind. The human and the world arise and fall with the mind, but that Awareness that we are is prior to that.

non-duality.rupertspira.com/read/all_experience_is_real

edit: Rupert Spira on Youtube
    youtube.com/user/rupertspira/videos

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The same way some have happy dreams and others nightmares. It's all a product of your last meal and nothing a good fart won't fix !

8. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
    #208 emk810, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    The Belief in a World Made of Matter (Rupert Spira)
    youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_srGuaPq8

What Can We Say for Absolute Certain about Our Experience? (Rupert Spira)
    youtube.com/watch?v=vVgxRkt16g8

Science and Nonduality (cutting edge dialogue on the bridge between Science and Spirituality)
    youtube.com/user/scienceandnonduality

edit:

Non Duality The Superstition of Materialism (GP Walsh)
    youtube.com/watch?v=xXT2gpxb8u8

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The simulation argument

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is all BS if we are simulation way are we aging and dying.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Because that's the way the program was coded

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Ever watch "The Matrix" ?
    Particularly when Neo is watching the kid bend the spoon ?

"There is no spoon".

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    let me lock u up 25 years in a prison and u going see how much of a illusion that is.

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    That just proves we are living in an illusion if you think you could lock me up, i'd even provide the locks ;)

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm sure if 6 or 7 of us got together and discussed this issue, we could come up with an answer. Where do you live?

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I like threats, NE UK buddy, and it would take 6-7 of you

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    No threats... just attempting to help you see your reality

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Trust me, I know my reality, I also know reality is reality and this thread subject should be filed away with the tin foil hatters, doesn't stop it being fun joining in

19. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #219 LiteOS, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    If its was real why drugs "takes" us to different realities
    I mean some drugs make us think this reality is unreal
    like this realty more like a dream camper to the journey they had with the drug, it the most real they ever experience

20. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Because they are drugs, they are designed to mess with your brain and create an alternate reality experience, otherwise no-one would buy them