Intel EFI (Bios) Mod for Slic 2.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tapmal5, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Gordy

Gordy MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2013
    I too want to use the OA2Intel_7 on my i3 intel NUC. Are the windows 7 keys already added to this package or do i go read more and do it manually?

Additionally are these newer tools any good? Intel integrator toolkit and OA3 tool?

Never used slic before.

Many thanks

2. mikemillerfl

mikemillerfl MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Good morning all. I have been doing A LOT of research on how to mod BIOS files to get SLIC 2.1 for both physical and virtual computers. I have been successful in modding my own BIOS files for Dell, HP, Lenovo, VMware, Hyper-V, etc. without the need for requesting a mod on this forum. However, I believe this is where my knowledge becomes limited. I have not, for the life of me, been able to get this Intel server board modded. From my research and experience, I have gotten it close but I am unable to get the XSDT and RSDT headers to change (I believe this is the issue). I would like to learn from this experience and not just ask for someone to do the work for me. So, does anyone here have any experience in this or can you point me in the right direction?

Below are the settings that were used in Phoenix/Dell/EFI SLIC Mod v2.18 tool and SLIC ToolKit screenshot of the mod currently applied.

View attachment 23725

View attachment 23726

Below is a list of all the information typically requested when doing a mod:

• Manufacturer: Intel
    • Model: S1200BTL
    • BIOS Revision: 41
    • BIOS Type: EFI
    • BIOS Download Link: h**ps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22574&lang=eng&OSVersion=OS%20Independent&DownloadType=Firmware
    • RW Everything Report: h**ps://app.box.com/s/sltttczjp71juibvaga3

If there is any other information you may need, please let me know. I would like to keep this public as much as possible so that others may benefit from it too.

Thank you,

Mike

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to manually edit the RSDT & XSDT entries using a hex editor. Search in the DUMP folder to find the respective modules.

4. shepscrook

shepscrook MDL Novice

May 30, 2013
    -Manufacturer: INTEL
    -Motherboard Model: DX58SO2
    -Bios revision: 0920
    -Bios Type: PHOENIX BIOS
    -Bios Download Link: (Can't link to bios as I'm under 20 posts)

Is it possible for someone to modify this bios with SLIC 2.1 (And a SLIC 2.2 version if at all possible too?) I haven't been able to successfully make one.

5. mikemillerfl

mikemillerfl MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    I have searched thru most of the DUMP files for strings like 'INTELQA09', 'INTEL', 'RSDT' and 'XSDT' but I have been pretty unsuccessful with coming up with anything. Am I simplifying this too much? Is replacing the OEM ID strings as easy as opening a file in a hex editor and changing 'INTEL' to 'DELL'? Why can't I replace the OEM IDs in the RW report? Wouldn't the Phoenix mod tool carry over the changes made manually to the RW report? At this point, I feel pretty lost with this stuff now. I guess once I figure it out It'll be easier the next time.

6. mikemillerfl

mikemillerfl MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    OK. So, after almost a full 8-hour day of working on this I finally figured it out.

But first, I would like to thank Tito for assisting me with this mod.

Now, the fun stuff. With a combination of some special settings in the Phoenix Tool advanced settings and manual file manipulation, I was able to successfully update the BIOS for my Intel S1200BTL server motherboard. Below is a quick run down of what I did.

1. Acquire the firmware/bios files from Intel's website for your motherboard. When looking thru the available downloads, I filtered by OS Independent and then Firmware. Since I was updating the BIOS thru the EFI shell, I selected the file Firmware Update Package for EFI to keep things simple and the file set small.
    2. Once the file was downloaded and I extracted the ZIP, there were multiple files. I didn't have a clue which one I needed to modify with the Phoenix Tool so I updated my BIOS without modifying any files first. I noticed that in the EFI shell for the BIOS update portion, it was looking for 'R0041.cap'.
    3. Now that I knew that it was using the file R0041.cap I opened Phoenix/Dell/EFI SLIC Mod v2.18 tool. This next process is what took me a while to get figured out. I'll spare everyone here the pain of having to go thru what I went thru.
      1. Original BIOS: J:\S1200BTL\R0041.cap
      2. Manufacturer: Other
      3. SLIC File: J:\phoenixtool218\SLIC22\Dell PE_SC3 2.2 SLIC.bin
      4. SLP File: J:\phoenixtool218\SLP\Dell.txt
      5. RW File: AcpiTbls.rw (ACPI tables from RW)
      6. Method: Module
    4. Here comes the complicated part which will probably vary for most of you trying to do this mod unless you have an Intel S1200BTL motherboard.
    5. Open the SLIC ToolKit (I used version 3.2) and go to the Advanced tab. Notice the string currently in the XSDT and RSDT fields. Mine had "INTELS1200BTL", note this.
    6. In the Phoenix tool, click on Advanced and check the following:
      1. Replace additional OEM/Table ID: In the top box I put the string found using the SLIC ToolKit "INTELS1200BTL " (notice the one extra space at the end). This is because the field requires either a blank, 6, 8, 10 or 14 character string. In the bottom box I put "DELL PE_SC3 " (there is one space after DELL and three spaces after the 3).
      2. Replace all OEM/Table ID occurrences
      3. Replace split OEM/Table IDs
      4. Replace split Table IDs
      5. Replace empty modules
      6. Replace existing SLIC elements (not sure if this setting was necessary as I was doing a Module mod and not a SSV2)
      7. Allow user to modify other modules
    7. Make sure you uncheck any other boxes that may be checked and click Done.
    8. Click Go. A message box will pop up that says "You can now make manual alterations to any module in the DUMP directory". Leave this message up, don't click OK, yet.
    9. Browse to your DUMP folder (mine was J:\S1200BTL\DUMP\) with a hex editor. I used WinHex but any hex editor should do. I manually went thru each file searching for the string "INTEL" with case matching enabled. My DUMP folder had 440 files so I had to open groups of them in chunks. The two files I ended up modifying were 9AF1B563-1520-4F30-A8CF-61EB6282CDFD_1_300.ROM and 16D0A23E-C09C-407D-A14A-AD058FDD0CA1_1_282.ROM. The way I could tell those were the files I needed to modify is because one had "SLIC" and "MSFT" strings a little bit before "INTEL" (see screen shot). View attachment 23776 The other file had "OEMTBLID" and "OEMID" strings. I took a wild guess and assumed that the "INTEL" in this file needed to be changed too. (see screen shot). View attachment 23777 Replace "INTEL" with "DELL" for each instance. You will also need to add two spaces after "DELL", 20 in hex (see screen shot). View attachment 23778
    10. Save the files and click OK on the message box.
    11. I copied my R0041.cap file to a different directory and renamed the SLIC'd file (R0041_SLIC.cap) to R0041.cap. Copy all of the files to a flash drive and restart your computer. Mine automatically detected the 'startup.nsh' file on the flash drive and booted into the EFI shell without me needing to tell it to.
    12. Select to update the BIOS and wait for the update to complete (I had to select 2 to update the BIOS).
    13. Once the update is complete, power off the computer and unplug the flash drive. Turn the computer back on and check to see if your mod was successful. If it was, you should now have a SLIC'd Intel server motherboard (SLIC 2.2).

I have included a link to the S1200BTL modded BIOS to this post if anyone else has this board. And again, thank you Tito for replying to my initial post.

h**ps://app.box.com/s/jsyisv7g5l66ghgnjfz3

7. enragedfurious

enragedfurious MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2013
    I am curious why do the pubkey.bin/marker.bin and therefore also pksign.bin correspond to laptop computers (according to Lenovo, Asus and Dell OEMID-s) and not desktop machines. Wouldn't at least the Lenovo machine use customized Phoenix BIOS as it does on Thinkpads?

8. obietobi

obietobi MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    have anyone already posted this model?

Model : DG41RQ

Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
    BIOS Name : RQ0017P.BIO
    BIOS Date: 03/19/2011
    BIOS Vendor : Intel Corp.
    SMBIOS Version : RQG4110H.86A.0017.2011.0322.1523
    BIOS Date : 03/22/2011

9. olda8366

olda8366 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi, is there any chance, somebody would be able to mode BIOS for TOSHIBA TECRA M5?

Manufacturer: Toshiba Tecra M5
    Motherboard: Toshiba Tecra M5
    BIOS: Intel version 3.30
    RW report and BIOS here: sendspace.com/file/t53evv

The BIOS in the rar file is currently in the laptop

Thanks very much

10. mapsurfer

mapsurfer MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2013
    Mod Request for Lenovo InsydeH2O 71CN51WW (1.21) bios

-Motherboard Manufacturer and Model : Lenovo Ideapad P400/Z400/Z500 Touch
    -Bios Revision : 71CN51WW (1.21)
    -Bios Type : InsydeH20
    -Bios SLIC : 2.1
    -Bios Link : download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/71cn51ww.exe

Hello I am wondering if anyone can mod, or comment on this Lenovo bios? Thanks

11. BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    I have problems with both dell cert and that dealin cert on win7pro. Tried both dell key and dealin key. Possibly because I used a Window 7 Pro disk that came with another licensed (and bought) system also D975xbx2. Both installs reported "success" but M$OFT reports not genuine after reboot. I assume I will have to download win7pro from repository and reinstall. The disk I used to install was 00371-OEM-0635356-25264 and I don't see that anywhere in the key repository.

One other problem that threw me for a few minutes: My system echo's DATE with the day of week as in "TU 11-25-2013" which caused the DELL.CMD code to fail extracting the "11". It got the year wrong and the OA2Intel then failed to update the marker. I changed the script to "for /f "tokens=2,3,4" to set the date properly.

This system has been running for a month now and just recently shows the non-genuine message. It is a PITA to reinstall. I have an unused win8home that I mistakenly bought and I assume it will install over a non-genuine copy of 7.

EDIT - No success. I installed the win7PRO64 from the repository (download name "X15-65805.ISO") and was unable to activate with either dealin or the dell cert and their corresponding keys. Used that OA program to set the current date into the marker and also set the computer to the date of 3.16.2010 which matched the marker file date, but neither attempt allowed activation. I got "success" for each attempt, but a check of the activation showed un-activated. I gave up and used a copy of win8pro that I bought some some ago for a laptop that did not have the "NX" instruction. Didn't know at the time I bought it that the instruction was required for win8.

12. kemdau

kemdau MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks a lot. It work o DH61BE (need to set the system time in 2009)

13. Plexus22

Plexus22 MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2013
    Hello
    This is a little bit of an odd request for this forum but if anyone knows how to do it, it would be you guys. I have an Intel DH67GD board and the only tool I have found so far that will open the BIOS file is Andy's Phoenixtool (phoenixtool219). It reports the BIOS as a Insyde/EFI BIOS. Heres the "odd" part, what I want to do with this BIOS is swap the RAID OPROM with a modded (that I already have) one that supports TRIM for SSD drives. I do not want to change ANYTHING ELSE about the BIOS. No SLIC or ACPI table mods or any of that. It seems like phoenixtool is capable of doing that but I just have no experience with it and don't know what im doing. I have already determined which module in the DUMP folder is the RAID OPROM. I just need someone to help me replace it with the modded one and then repackage the BIOS without making any other mods. Any help is appreciated!

-Motherboard Model : Intel DH67GD
    -Bios Revision : BLH6710H.86A.0160.2012.1204.1156
    -Bios Type : Insyde/EFI ?? (I really don't know, this has been one of the challenges of modding this BIOS, all I know is it IS a UEFI)
    -Bios Link : Not enough posts :(

14. BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    d975xbx2 and that dealin cert

It took awhile but I was able to install an SLIC into one of my d975xbx2's. That is as far as I can get as the dealin cert would not activate. I tried several posted suggestions over the last few days and none worked. The SLIC that actually installed and was dumped out correctly was the JPSCSA one that used jpubkey, jmarker and jsign. I had to hunt for those as post 6 of that SLC thread had a bad zip file. Anyway it would not activate for win7 home or ultimate. I also tried creating an SLIC using asus* and dell* with jsign but the SLIC was not programmed even though the STATUS said it was. I then used a binary editor to extract the "dealin marker" from their published Dealin bin SLIC and attempted to use that with asus and dell pubkey but the jsign was not valid for this combination and nothing was programmed. I checked with the M$OFT site and their price went up from $39 to $69 for win8.1 this last january and I should have gotten a 2nd copy when it was only $39. I don't really plan to put win7 on this d975xbx2 motherboard, it has just become a challenge to me to do it.

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  16. BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    Thanks! The oct 2013 zip worked. The asus did not create an SLIC for some reason, but the dealin did and home premium was activated with no problem. This will be a backup motherboard. I have a 24/7 BOINC farm of licensed, all socket 775 systems that are badly aging and replacement motherboards are getting harder to find.