[FAQ] Win 10, Installs and Upgrading.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mtrai, Jul 22, 2015.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yes pro, not enterprise.

2. Rich086

Rich086 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2015
    #522 Rich086, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Daz activated W7 - upgrade to W10
    W10 won't activate. Says key has been blocked. Seems only converting to KMS solution can activate. Strange though. Upgraded my 8.1 KMS activated Windows Toolkit to 10 and tried online activation. It gave the installation a MAK key. Can't recreate that scenario though so not sure how it happened even by another KMS Windows 8.1

3. Antiwin

Antiwin MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    As I have learned from this thread , when upgrading from W7 or W8.1 to W10 and it activates successfully, previous W7 W8.1 license will be obsolete, correct?
    I would thinking to take an Acronis image of the current W7 W8.1 system before upgrading for the safest sake. Does it mean, If I decide to return from W10 to my previous W7 W8.1 system some months later for any reason , I will not find it licensed any more( except reactivating it by MSTK etc..)?

4. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    #524 stream, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Delicensing may vary depending on the kind of activation:

1) Retail key (COA)
    2) OEM key in BIOS
    3) MAK
    4) KMS
    5) Keyless (corporate customers)

Other readers may be able to confirm for each of the above license types individually.

5. deadlyshadow

deadlyshadow MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2010
    somethings is weird, clean installed Windows occupy more space than upgraded?! why?

6. GunnerHook

GunnerHook MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    So I got the 10586 .ESD and was going to recreate my bootable flash drives to install win10. I had 10240. I was hoping to make a new bootable drive that would prevent me from having to do the basically in place upgrade that the patches to 10586 do. The only thing I noticed was that the 10586 ESD I got is listed as "Technical Preview". I'm sure this has been answered, but am having problems finding the answer. What is the difference between a normal version and a Technical Preview? Is there any actual difference in activation?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #527 Enthousiast, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    All 10586 iso's/esd's have indexes called "Technical Preview" ms did not change it on 10586 iso's for unknown reasons. For the rest of your post i do not fully understand what you're saying/asking.

8. GunnerHook

GunnerHook MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Ok so it's just the index, but the underlying OS is the same. That's really all I was asking. I was checking the indexes to make sure I had the 10586, but wasn't sure if it was missing anything since it was listed as a "Technical Preview". Thanks!

9. samgu

samgu MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi! I did the upgrade of my OEM Windows 8.1 HP laptop to Windows 10 Home, and now I am trying to upgrade to Pro version, because I have a Windows 8 Pro key. Is that possible to do? I am entering the key in System->About->Change Key but I keep receiving an error message saying that my version is Home and then cannot be activated.

I tried doing a clean install but it doesn't ask for a key, it goes straight to installing Windows 10 Home.

10. egroups_megapics

egroups_megapics MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Suggest that you first upgrade your Home to Pro - Get new feature or windows upgrade enter your pro key. otherwise enter windows 10 pro generic key during edition upgrade. after upgrade is complete then enter your valid windows 8 pro key to activate.

11. samgu

samgu MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2015
    I tried that too and it didn't work. So, I called Microsoft and they provided a link to download a media creation tool for Windows 8.1 I said my product key was for Windows 8 Pro, not 8.1, but they said it was going to work. I didn't believe at first because I tried that a month ago in other laptop, but, for my surprise, when I started the instalation process, it did work. I was able to validate the Windows 8.1 Pro with a Windows 8 Pro key. So I am finally running Windows 10 Pro.

But, now I stumbled in another problem. I downloaded the media creation tool for Windows 10 to do a clean installation, but for some reason, when I do that installation process, it installs the Windows 10 Home, and not the Pro version. I tried three times. And during the installation process it doesn't ask for a key, but just ignores the Windows 10 Pro installation.

12. colaua6

colaua6 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    Hi! I want to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise. How do this? (WU, MCT or DVD upgrade?) :confused:

13. fireraider

fireraider MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012

I am having the same issue. There is another thread where the OP was told to add the ei.cfg file to the install iso but I tried that and it didn't help. The OP finally let the automatic install run and got the Pro version , but when I did that it still installed the Home version. This was on a laptop that originally came with 10 Home. I had wiped the drive with GParted and installed Win 7 Pro just fine, but I cant get the update to go to Win 10 Pro. I am still searching through the forums for a solution.

14. mdl_anon

mdl_anon MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    yeah! what he said... me too...

15. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Here is a question for people who might know. This is on the Free upgrade for Windows 7 / 8.

So, say I image my Windows 7 machine, then I upgrade to 10, decide that it's too buggy for me at this point. I can roll back/restore my image I made.

Now, that I understand that after 511 update, you can use a Windows 7/8 key to activate 10. So once I reseve this and take the upgrade, will this licence always be a 7 or 10 machine ?

Now that I did the upgrade and rolled back, say a year down the line, I decide to upgrade to 10 again, will I be able to, or will I have to pay for a ugprade (even though I did upgrade but, decided to stick with 7 for now) ?

Anyone know this ?

If this is true, I'll take my 7/8 keys and upgrade them to 10 and then roll them back, so I can have some 10 licenences in a year or 2 they might be more usefull than 7/8 ones...

Thoughts ?

(I run 10 on one machine but, I have HTPC that is on 7 and 8.1 and no reason to upgrade at this point)

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. earnandsave

earnandsave MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2012
    Has anyone seen a situation where the Windows 10 upgrade forced it's way through, even with Windows Update set to "never check for updates"?
    I'm helping a client where it appears that is what happened. I was able to boot from a USB drive with a Windows 8 installation disk image; then I was able to manually restore the registry files from backup.

This is on a Windows 7 computer with security software installed (Deep Freeze, from Faronics) that completely locks your computer from any changes; the upgrade pushed through part way and caused the computer to go into a perpetual loop of trying to install the update, then restarting, etc.

18. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade by abbodi.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...