DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 911medic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ken_figo07

ken_figo07 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2011
    Can I use this DMI boot CD to re-tattoo my laptop?

I know most of you here use this CD to activate OS. My situation is rather different. I have HP Pavilion dv3500 laptop with Windows Vista installed. It has 2 partitions C: (where vista is installed) and D: (the recovery partition). The recovery partition worked well until I decided to split the C: partition into 2 partitions and stupidly change the drive letter of all the partitions including the recovery partition. C: (vista), D: (2nd partition) and E: (recovery partition).

Now when I tried to recover my laptop to factory settings using the F11 key, it successfully boot into the recovery partition but was unable to complete the recovery process. There's an error message saying something like "unable to complete the windows installation". I couldn't get into windows and it keeps restarting the recovery process with the error message.

Assuming that changing recovery partition drive letter had caused this problem. I decided to install Windows XP to change the recovery partition drive letter back to D: (bad move!). After that I could not boot the recovery partition with F11 to install Vista back. Somehow I managed to boot the recovery partition from USB created using Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition. But the recovery process could not even start and I received another error message "Error Code 100a if this keeps occurring contact HP".

At first it seems that the only solution to this problem is by contacting HP and purchase the recovery disks. Then after an extensive search on the web I found out about HP tattoo system and concluded that I have messed up my mobo and hdd and need to re-tattoo my laptop in order to restore my recovery partition and install vista back to it's original/factory settings. So my question is can I use this DMI boot CD to do that?

note: Buying recovery disks in not a solution.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    What you have done has nothing to do with the mainboard, bios or DMI..You have just confused you OS. The recovery partition is on the HDD, what would re-tattoo have to do with it???

Maybe use the Vista DVD to restore stuff.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ken_figo07

ken_figo07 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you. My problem has been solved.

Thank you so much 911medic for your suggestion. Re-installing vista solved the problem. I really believed I have messed up my mobo or something. I never thought about confusing my laptop with the OS. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Now the recovery utility is back with the F11 function. The recovery process went well without any error whatsoever and I managed to recover Vista back to it's factory settings.

Thank you :worthy:

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    How i achive what i want to from DMIScope, could you tell where do i look for the DMI strings and delete them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You will need to look for the Hewlett Packard and HP and Compaq strings you added it is just a case of clicking in say baseboard information , System enclosure, e.c.t until you find the strings and delete or edit them.

6. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Hi, peeps. Great thread....
    Has anyone actually activated MCE (CD_1 MD5-57B5F502A27A903EBB84289644CE8C50) on VBox? I can enter an OEM key and the install completes. However, once the desktop appears, I get that pop-up informing me X days to activate.
    What the hell am I missing?

Edit: Thanks for any insight into my failure (please don't just say, "It's because you are a stupid MF!".:biggrin5:

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks for the info.;)

Edit:
    Seems I botched it.:D
    I put VBoxDD2.dll into the VBox directory.
    In VBox MCE I put the OEMBIOS files folder into the Folder for compressed files along with the OEMBIOS_AT.txt document.
    I ran the OEMBIOS changer.
    This is what I get:
    View attachment 13257
    I know I did something wrong; I can't be trusted to run these scripts on my own.
    By the way, I think I posted this in the wrong thread, I was browsing for answers and somehow made this thread as a shortcut. My bad.o_O

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You are adding MS string in vbox but using an acer mce oem slp key :confused:

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Can be done... as oem:slp keys aren't brand specific :)

12. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
  13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Then it should activate fine!!! There must be something wrong :g:

I have just successfully installed & activated XP Tablet PC Edition from that cd set with MS oembios set and an oem:slp key in VBox :)

14. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I'll try again from scratch. I'll reinstall MCE and see if I get it right this time....:cool:

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  16. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks, but I finally got it.
    The setupp.ini from CD_1 is Pid=76487000. I couldn't get past the activation screen during beggining of install. To get the install to accept an OEM key the PID had to be altered to 76487OEM. Instead of bioschanger tagging XP MCE 2005, I tried XP Pro and it accepted.:biggrin5:
    I may have reached around my a** to touch my nose (and made this experiment harder than it had to be), but there you have it. Ran the validation tool from Windows Update and it all looks good. Updated to SP3 offline.
    Thanks for schooling me, folk.
    MDL is UFB!:worthy:
    View attachment 13271
    @ Tito: I'll check out the additional threads as soon as I rest my brain. Can't have too many tools....:D

Edit: Seems that placing vbdd2.dll in VBox directory creates an issue with installing other VMs. No problem; just replaced the stock file and installed 2000 SP4 (VLK-mod) extracted from Windows 2000 Pro ISO... thread (cant inject link or smilies with IE5). I love this OS!lol
    Win XP MCE still operates with the stock vbdd2.dll as well.

Edit.2: It would also seem that I wrote too soon. Restoring stock vbdd2.dll produced an ungenuine copy of XP MCE. Even replacing the modded .dll would fix it. Restored to a VBox snapshot with modded .dll and went genuine again. So far 2000 is still good....:rolleyes:

17. b2harath

b2harath MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2012
    how do i use this DMI tool

18. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello, I have a QDI motherboard with bios award, try with dmi tools but it report a problem and the slip check tool don't find any valid bios string. Anyone can help me???? ( sorry for my bad English, I hope understand me).

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    We cannot help without more information can you not post a screen shot.

20. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, next week try to do some screenshoot. Thanks.