DISCUSSION: WHD - Office Updates

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Alphawaves, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    Missing security update for Office 2016 (KB3115408)
    Intentional?

2. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi, thanks for checking but that one's been superseded several times.

The latest version of that update is KB3178717 and abbodi1406 has it in his lists.

3. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    Also thought so. Will manually download and copy to Security folder to just shut up WU.
    I know this is not WU satisfy tool but im using this such way. No problemo.
    Thank you for reply.

4. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    #225 Zot, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Decided to do clean test.
    Vmware Workstation 12.5.5
    original W10 Ent LTSB 2016 x64 iso
    network host only
    Vmware tools installed
    original Office 2016 ProPlus VL x64 iso, default installation options
    Activated using AutoKMS 2.6.2
    Manually installed Stacking, Flash, CU and MSRT even definition update for Windows Defender
    All 46 Office updates installed using Burf's install script v14
    Restarted and connected to internet, Windows Update offers only small Defender definition update
    h ttps://postimg.org/image/f6x41l1z5/
    So problem is in my side. Only thing come to mind first is when i installed in audit mode Office 2016 i unchecked
    Office Telemetry thing. Also few other programs installed. Some GP change. Will try to find cause.

edit: forget to write i have checked give me other MS product update
    in advanced options before doing Windows Update

5. kikigak

kikigak MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    Hi,
    Downloading Office 2016 or 2010 x64 and x86 updates can see progress but when finished it says failed. I look into the download folder and there's nothing in there. I'm using WHDownloader 07/10/2015 v0.0.2.2 version. Using WindowsHotfixDownloader 13/04/2014 build 7.9 is working fine, I've already downloaded Windows 7 updates more than 2gb but there's no Office 2016.

Download status:
    Initializing download... done!
    Downloading (Security) - Microsoft Office 2016 (file format converters) (KB3085635) (1 of 7)... failed!
    done!

Downloading (Security) - Microsoft Office 2016 (Template and Media Control) (KB3085538) (2 of 7)... failed!
    done!
    Initializing download... don
    e!
    Downloading (Security) - Microsoft Office 2016 (ActiveX Control) (KB2920727) (3 of 7)... failed!
    done!
    Downloading (Security) - Microsoft Office 2016 (mso-x-none.msp) (KB3178702) (4 of 7)...

Config.ini:
    DownloadPath=E:\WHDownloader\
    ExtractMSPPath=E:\WHDownloader\UpdatesMSPs
    ExtractMSP=False
    MSPLangFilter=
    MoveOldUpdates=False
    FreeProcess=True
    UseProxy=False
    Address=
    Port=
    UseAuthentication=False
    Username=
    Password=
    URLtimeout=15000
    Multiinstance=False
    BandwidthAllocation=0
    FileChunkSize=2048

Can someone please help?

6. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    kikigak: You're using the right version of WHDownloader and your config.ini seems okay. I just tried downloading the Office 2016 updates now and had no problems. Has it worked for you in the past and stopped working or is this the first time you've used WHDownloader?

Even though your config.ini looks okay, try deleting it before running WHDownloader. A fresh, default file will be created. Reboot before running it also.

Also, sometimes the MS servers where the updates are downloaded from have problems and just by waiting a while and then trying to download at a later time, everything starts working.

Try again after deleting the config.ini and let us know how it goes.

7. kikigak

kikigak MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    PointZero,
    Thank you for response. This is my first time to use this program.
    1. Tried deleting config.ini, restart pc then run WHDownloader.exe(new config.ini created), select 3-updates of Office2016x86 for testing and wait around 5-mins but still the same, no files have been downloaded.
    2. Tried on Win7x64 Pro and Win10 Ent still the same, no files have been downloaded.
    3. Check folder security properties, all users and administrators has full permission.

When downloading is in progress it creates a sub-folder name "Office2016-x86\General" but after the download finished the sub-folder gone.

1. Is there a log file where I can check what causes the problem?
    2. Are there any other programs that are needed to install for this to work properly?

Thanks again.

Config.ini(new):
    DownloadPath=E:\WHDownloader\
    ExtractMSPPath=E:\WHDownloader\MSP's\
    ExtractMSP=False
    MSPLangFilter=
    MoveOldUpdates=False
    FreeProcess=True
    UseProxy=False
    Address=
    Port=
    UseAuthentication=False
    Username=
    Password=
    URLtimeout=15000
    Multiinstance=False
    BandwidthAllocation=0
    FileChunkSize=2048

Information:
    *DownloadPath is the download location where all your downloaded Updates will be saved to.
    *ExtractMSPPath is the download location where all your extracted *.MSP(s) will be saved to.

To have Office Updates auto extract *.MSP(s) make sure you set 'ExtractMSP' to =true
    To have Office Updates filter a language *.MSP(s) make sure you set 'MSPLangFilter' to 'your language' ie: =en-US
    To have WHDownloader auto move and sort Old Updates, make you set 'MoveOldUpdates' to 'true'
    FreeProcess will keep releasing available memory while WHDownloader is in use. This is only recommended if you have more than one processors.
    If your not sure, keep it set to false.

Multiinstance set to true will allow WHDownloader to open multiple windows.
    Default bandwidth allocation is '0' (infinite) you can change this to your own above (BandwidthAllocation=???
    IE: 1000000 = 10MB
    Default download chunk size is '2048' you can change this to your own above (FileChunkSize=???

8. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    kikigak: Check for a "URLreport.txt" file in the program folder. But if it exists, it's just going to say that it couldn't download those particular files. It will list the download links for those files, which you could copy to a browser to test the downloading from there. No other programs are needed to run WHDownloader.

Is your E: drive a hard-drive/SSD or a USB flash drive? If it's a flash drive, try running the program from your HD/SSD. There has been a problem running from certain flash drives in the past.

If nothing will download, it may be a firewall issue blocking the program. Try temporarily turning off your firewall for a moment before downloading.

Let us know how it goes.

9. kikigak

kikigak MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    PointZero,
    I could not find "URLreport.txt" file in the program folder.

E: drive is second HDD not USB or flash drive, I've already tried yesterday on "C:\Temp\WHDownloader" and "D:\Temp\WHDownloader" which are parititions on first HDD. Firewall is already turned-off in "services.msc".

10. kikigak

kikigak MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    Anyway, I've already downloaded Office 2016 x64 and x86 updates manually(one-by-one) by clicking the KBArticle column on Downloader tab.

What I did(manually):
    1. Click the KBxxxxxxx in KBArticle column, it opens me to web browser on M$ website
    2. Scroll down and look for x64 or x86 download link for, it opens another tab on web browser and displays download page with download button.

My Findings:
    On step 2 above most of the time it doesn't displays the download page, it's just "M$/en-us/download/" and sometimes page-timeout and file note available, then I go back to step 1 again until it gives the download page. Maybe at this point my WHDownloader could not find the file then it returns me a Failed notice.

11. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    @kikigak

you can also load Office list, then on the right, click on the blue save button/icon
    it will save the list in xml format

open it with notepad or text editior, replace <url> and </url> occurances with nothing
    then select all and copy

now go to IDM and select Tasks > Add batch download from clipboard

Microsofts links/servers behave strangely sometimes
    BTW, lists updated with yesterday's updates

12. kikigak

kikigak MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    Thanks @abbodi1406
    What I only did is open "Office2016-x64.wh" using notepad++ but the characters are like chinese, I can't read chinese. Maybe the person who make WHDownloader is a chinese?

Anyway,

Home (5/10/17 19:00)
    Gateway: Mikrotik Router
    DNS: OpenDNS FamilyShield
    Connection: WiFi

Office (5/11/17 10:00)
    Gateway: ClearOS
    DNS: Google DNS
    Connection: Wired
    Network: PrivateLAN (but my IP is in Exception List)

Office (5/11/17 10:15)
    Connection: WiFi
    Network: HotLAN (our Public/Guest connection, no restriction)

Office (5/11/17 10:30)
    Connection: Wired
    Network: PrivateLAN (but my IP is in Exception List)

At home I got notification update of UpdateLists and updated the lists.
    I have no idea how WHDownloader behaves in our PrivateLAN or because it is wired.

13. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    wh is encrypted file, that's why you need the save button to give you the decrypted list

14. bchand

bchand MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2015
    Ready to pull my hair out...pls help - Uninstalled Word 2013 on computer I'm working on since I couldn't reactivate it and thus it wouldn't open. Now at the point where NO version of Word will install.

I get "encountered an error and cannot install." I've tried many different versions of Word (after cleaning the computer) (2013, 2016 and even the reliable 2007 Enterprise edition) I NEVER get past the install phase without that error.

What I've tried - Uninstall all Word versions via control panel
    Downloaded and ran the Easy Fix tool
    Followed every instruction on Microsoft's "Manually uninstall office from a pc"
    Temporarily shut down virus program and firewal

Ran sfc /scannow - Ran ck dsk /r

Today I got a fresh copy of Microsoft Office ProPlus 2013 SP1 - VL x64en.us and attempted to install that.

SAME ERROR!!! Now I have to go back and manually clean it up again.

Can anyone tell me what to do next? Thank you in advance.

15. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Check install logs in %temp% folder

16. bchand

bchand MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2015
    #238 bchand, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Thanks

No change - "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 encountered an error during setup"

17. bchand

bchand MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2015