[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. its1000

its1000 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    sorry to bother, but I don't succeed installing the mediacenter

First huge thanks for all you guys working hard to bring us a solution to get WMC on win10.. MS made a huge mistake Killing it. I never found any other programm where you can tell to record a programm each time it appears in the EPG...

I have a fresh new install of Windows 10 Pro on a computer. x64.
    I have downloaded the last version found on the forum :

WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12

I made the clean, the testrights in admin, all seems ok.
    then I ran the installer in admin

the process starts, the first DISM file is unpacked, goes very fast till 97%, then slower till 100% than I have an error and it stops.
    error : 0X800F0922

I went to read the CBS log. not very clear for me I have to admit... I saw this :

"Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. "

i tried to download again the full package and unzip it... same.

if anyone already got this and any clue. I would be so gratefull for this.

thanks in advance to everyone who could help me.

2. its1000

its1000 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    sorry guys I made a mistake. this was a reply and not a new thread

I'll try to delete it.

3. its1000

its1000 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    Sorry to bother, I tried hard but I don't succeed installing the package...

First of all, huge thanks for all you guys working hard to bring us a solution to get WMC on win10.. MS made a huge mistake Killing it. I never found any other mediacenter soft where you can tell to record a programm each time it appears in the EPG...

I have a fresh new install of Windows 10 Pro on a computer. x64.
    I have downloaded the last version found on the forum :

WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12

I made the clean, the testrights in admin, all seems ok.
    then I ran the installer in admin

the process starts, the first DISM file is unpacked, goes very fast till 97%, then slower till 100% than I have an error and it stops.
    error : 0X800F0922

I went to read the CBS log. not very clear for me I have to admit... I saw this :

"Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. "

i tried to download again the full package and unzip it... same.

if anyone already got this and any clue. I would be so gratefull for this.

thanks in advance to everyone who could help me.

4. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5284 crash2009, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    1) You need to run the installer in the window that TestRights opens for you. (TestRights runs a little script in the first window, and opens a second window) Navigate to the WMC64 folder, in DOS, and run installer.

2a) Most of the time, this error requires a cleanup to get v12 to install properly. Download v8 from my signature. do not use Download Manager. do use Download through Browser. I just wrote a complete set of instructions in Post # 5243 Uninstall v12 using v8

2b) SFC scannow may be required after Uninstall v12 with v8

2c) RestoreHealth may also be required

3a) More information on error "0x800F0922" "DISM Failed can be found by using the Search Thread Feature on this page.

3b) or...Click on the v12 link in my signature and start reading, the error was experienced and dealt with in the first few pages.

5. its1000

its1000 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you very much to both of you. I'll try this and tell you.

6. Akkifriman

Akkifriman MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2016
    Don`t bother about the Swedish, I can handle that.
    But "utgåva" means Windows release here, Version version and OS-version Build

And I believe you understand my English...so fine.

So my question again: could someone tell me if my Windows version/build ( latest update) could handle the Xbox setup and would the steps provided by Meluvalli and GarretNorth be enough to enable it?
    ;)

7. its1000

its1000 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    Guys it works !

thank you VERY VERY much.

to be honest, I had read the readme files, etc... but maybe due to my English level not strong enough, it was not clear for me that in case of issue I had to run the 3 commands (msi, sfc...)
    now. Did the 3 uninstall with v8, then the 3 commands, then the install thru v12 and all is ok.

now have to test it recognizes my 2 DVBT tuners, and test all functions...

thanks again for your time and patience to help people like me, and allow us to continue enjoying WMC!

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015

Both Meluvalli and Gareth North suggest the OS should have no updates. 10586.0 not 10586.420

Yes I can understand your English. It appears to me that you are unable to understand their English

Meluvalli and Gareth North BOTH state this in their 3rd paragraph.

9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Table Of Contents

Looks like Rick has started the Table Of Contents on Page 1

If you would like to submit a request for a MDL Post to be included, please forward your requests via Private Message. Go to post 1, click on Ricktendo64, Select Private Message, and PM the link.

Perhaps we should also include the category our requests should be listed under.....

In my case, the Meluvalli and Gareth North links should be listed under Xbox360 with WMC Version 12 (WMCv12)

Thanks Rick!

Attached Files:

10. Soapdishbandit

Soapdishbandit MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2016
    I got lucky when I did my reset. My base OS is 10586.164. Had a hiccup when trying to execute Gareth's extender hack (step 6), but I followed it to the T. Even without step 6, my extenders and WMC work great! :)

11. TreeCrusher

TreeCrusher MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank You!

I resisted upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 due to the lack of support for WMC. But with the deadline looming I went on the hunt for alternative options.

I came across a few websites saying it could be done and downloaded some files, which turned out to be outdated files originally downloaded from here. I had a look through the files and luckily there were credits pointing back to this forum.

I came here, had a read, and found the version 12 download. I downloaded it and installed it and now everything is working perfectly! It actually runs a bit faster than it did on 8.1.

Thanks so much for all the hard work everyone put into giving this back to everyone who loves it.:clap:

12. FrankFIII

FrankFIII MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2016
    I am a newbie here and am amazed with the skill level and dedication involved in getting WMC running on Win10. :worthy: While I have spent some time searching on this site to install WMC on Win10 32-bit, the answer I needs still eludes me. I have downloaded WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x86_v3.7z and unpacked it. When I run "_TestRights.cmd" as administrator, it still fails since "runfromtoken.exe" and "runassystem.exe" are missing from the BIN folder. I have successfully installed WMC on my Win10 x64 machine with no problems and those two utilities ("runfromtoken.exe" and "runassystem.exe") were found in the BIN dir in the x64 download. Am I missing something obvious?

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Taking a look to the first post, maybe? :D

14. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5296 crash2009, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Yes, you are missing v12

and.....

since they are both on the same page, this suggests your X64 version is "Out of Date" also.

After you get v12 downloaded and extracted... Open Readme.txt and Workaround.txt The install process has changed as well.

15. FrankFIII

FrankFIII MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2016
    BINGO! Since I was running Win10, I simply went to the app store and downloaded the 7ZIP Opener app and used that. I never thought it would produce incompletely extracted results. The native 7 ZIP program produced all the needed files. As for v12, I will uninstall and put that in. Since things were not running well on this x86 machine, I thought an older version may run better.

16. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #5298 DavidinCT, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    People who follow my progress on WMC, know I have been avoiding moving to Windows 10 WMC due Windows 7 WMC working perfect for me. So, I installed a dual boot setup, used one of my Windows 7 Ultimate licenses I have to take the 10 upgrade on.

I have a OLD HTPC case, it has a LCD display that gives status for WMC it works off a LPT PORT (Printer port, needed a PCIe card to get it working under 7), Nice thing I got working perfect under Windows 7 X64 with some hacks. Getting it to work under 8.1 was a real pain (many days) So a milestone for me, after playing for a few hours, I got it working perfectly under Windows 10 with a lot of little hacks.

Stripping down 10, so remove all the extras, I got this working, Now to move forward to getting it fully working. This is a big milestone for me under going to 10 for a HTPC.... now I can move on.

Now on to Bitstreaming that I have been having issues with under Windows 10....sigh....Shark007...

17. Akkifriman

Akkifriman MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2016
    It´s time to leave this forum, it do not provide any intelligent support, just arrogance and how to install, uninstall back and forth, back and forth, it do not take anything further...

I will remove WMC from Windows 10 and remember the time one year ago when it was working with 360/RIP

18. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Well, it certainly sounds like you are upset!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...