Chrome OS Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Lotusisrael, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Chrome OS - a Linux distribution that sets apart from others by the fact that comes preinstalled on Chromebooks, relies mostly on cloud services and, lately, the ability to use Android apps and Google Play to get them. The latest feature seems like a real advantage to some users. Also, you can use Chromebrew to install Linux repository acces and standard Linux software. There reconstructions of Chrome OS, based on the open source Chromium OS, like CloudReady and Flint, that comply most of the components, but they are not 100% equal in functionality with the official Chrome OS. Also, you do not get automaticly updates top the OS. Regarding macOS, there is a way to install it on non-Apple PCs, named Hackintosh. It is probably a similar, easier way, to install the official Chrome OS on non-Chromebook hardware. To get the official Chrome OS, you need an extension in Chrome, a USB pen drive and a serial number of a Chromebook. My guess is that there is some type of Hackintosh-like method to get Chrome OS legally and install it on non-Chromebook hardware, like there is a legal method for Hackintosh on Tonymacx86. With this distribution, Linux adoption on PCs might explode, the end users having access to a lot off installable software, the Linux repositories and Android apps.

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Lotusisrael ok thanks for the heads up dude but I at least for me I don't want this o.s. for several reasons including this chromebrew :eek: why you no try a regular Linux distro is more easy for install, maintenance and support? only my 2 cents

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    Especially because of the Android apps and Google Play.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep I respect of course and so I continues telling that I don't want because I simply hate smartphones and all related Google principally sorry this is my opinion ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    The idea was to use the official Chrome OS, not recompiled distributions. Android apps are in large quantity and one of the reasons people stay of out of Linux is precisely the lack of installable software. The ability to install Chrome OS on any x86 machine could mean a boost in the adoption of Linux.