Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. sek750i

sek750i MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    Help! ECS Elitegroup A960M-M3 BIOS Recovery

Help!
    After I flash the modded bios on my board (ECS Elitegroup A960M-M3),
    my computer can't boot even the starting AMI boot logo is not displayed.
    Actually there is no display signal and HDDs are not reading.
    It is a AMI Aptio bios.

I've tried the methods described in the "AMI BIOS Recovery" section of the first post in this thread. I use a USB flash drive instead of a floppy disk, and I also rename the bios file into the recovery name found by Andy's tool (Boot.rom, A960M-M3.rom). But all of them don't work!

Would anyone tell me how to fix this bricked bios?
    Any helpful information will be appreciated!

2. vayjay

vayjay MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I have used andy p's tool on all 3 BIOS files and they all return the name "BIOS.f?" Apparently that means the special name is just "BIOS.fd". I tried reflashing my laptop with these renamed files on a usb formatted into an MS-DOS startup disk using HP usb format tool, but no luck. I am gonna retry the phlash 16 and wincrisis methods again and maybe hope I get it right this time.

3. mumukshu

mumukshu MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    Have you solved this issue? I am in the same position. I tried many different versions of CRIS Disks, but unsuccessful.

Acer Aspire 4720z

4. mumukshu

mumukshu MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014

The link is not working. Can you please update? Many many thanks

5. Nomii

Nomii MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    english is not my native language, plz help me. i have lenovo y580. and i massed up with my bios. i wana recover. i have necessary tools for example FPT , PRR tools and lenovo 480, y580 bios fix.exe, thanx to slv7 . my question is when i run lenovo bios fix.exe it ask file of backbios. which i gave but next question about modified bios file? which file it ask about i write all file including ( QIWY3207.ROM) file. plz tell me which file..
    tech infrno file attachment not working at the moment . plz help if some one know

6. cav94mat

cav94mat MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    If possible, try also physically removing the HDD drive before trying, and using the name found by Andy's tool. Are you sure it's .rom and not .bin?

Another keystroke you could try is HOME+PGDWN, which will purge also the NVRAM section. Check also if the USB drive's led turns on/blinks, or if it seems like the drive doesn't even get powered on.

7. Nomii

Nomii MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    PLz requesting for FPT.exe tool for bios . i need dos version. plz again dos vesion. plz put download link of free hosting site.

8. Nomii

Nomii MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    hi guys pleas help me accept as challenge. my lenovo y580 laptop not work from whole week and i m desperate... tech inferno not helping me even not let me post...

I made huge mistake and need your advice to help me solve my problem.
    I have flashed accidentally my bios with wrong version. I have Y580 (v bios: 5dcn40ww) but installed bios from G580 (v bios: 5ecn96ww). Flashing process went smoothly w/o any errors but after restart my HDD is not visible in bios.

i download all tools from different places... FPT .exe, prr.exe, bios fix tool and bios. did every thing. at last when flashing while giving command fpt.exe -f biosfixfile.bin -bios it give me Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform something like that.. and one more question i have biosfixfile.rom but in command do i have to put -biosfixfile.bin? why
    plz i need fpt.exe in dos version which support my laptop plzzz if u can help me give me propper tools and fix bios for my lenovo y580 to recover my bios. plz humble request...:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. mifa

mifa MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    I got trouble with my dell studio xps 1647. the bios flash failed (freeze with white screen). I tried to use phoenix crisis recovery tool (run wincrisis in windows xp, then get 3 files: minidos, flash16 and bios.wph in the usb drive). However, I am unable to access the recovery mode (no beep or fan sound, no led of usb drive). Anyone help me please ?

10. jovars

jovars MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2014
    Recovery on lenovo ideapad z360

Hi all,
    I have created a wincrisis-usb ( 256 mb ) and try to get my Lenovo to boot on it, but it wont do. :confused:
    Tried Fn+B Fn+W Fn+R and some more combinations. What keys should be used for lenovo ideapad z360 ?
    /Jovars

11. iskatel

iskatel MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014

Change in BIOS >> Main >>Sata Mode from AHCI to IDE. When u flashed ur BIOS if was change from IDE to AHCI, that happend to mine(aspire 5735Z). And this can happend even without flashing BIOS, if you enter setup, and change SATA mode from IDE to AHCI.

12. hansmuff

hansmuff MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2014
    Hi,

i have a Problem with supermicro (AMI Bios) recovery, Motherboard H8DGU-F:

Support told me that i should do the following steps (which aren't work)

1. Copy the H8xxxxx.xxx file from BIOS package and save into a USB drive
    2. Rename the H8xxxxx.xxx file to super.rom
    3. Install the USB on the MB and remove other bootable device
    4. While Power on the system, hit "ctrl + Home" keys several times
    5. The USB LED turn on, but the screen is blank and some long beeps from onboard buzzer.
    6. After the BIOS recovery is completed, 4 quick beeps and then system will reboot.
    7. “CMOS Checksum” message will show, press F1 go into BIOS setup and then load optimal default settings or your custom BIOS setting.
    8. Save setting and reboot system.

I only hear one short beep and i can't enter bios via pressing DEL key. Therefore I'm unable to control USB Boot order

Any ideas?

Thanks,

hansmuff

13. oflo23

oflo23 MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks for this tutorial. Very helpful and informative.

14. lukafercec

lukafercec MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi everyone, I have a big problem here.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L670-10P and when I was updating the BIOS, the computer simply shut down for some reason. Now after turning it on, it just turns off after 1 or 2 seconds, because the BIOS is corrupted. If I press the magical Fn+B combination while turning it on and if I have a USB stick connected, I can see it tries to read from it, the only problem is, how I should name the bios file for the recovery mechanism to detect it.

I tried to use this Andy Tool here and it is supposed to give me some recovery name, but all it gives me is some SLIC 2.1 info and nothing about the recovery name. After opening the BIOS image, the window pops up saying "Pubkey and marker (2.1) (TOSCPLTOSCPL00) (x1)". When I press OK, in the STATUS field it says "EFI / Insyde BIOS".

At the end of log file that the program generates it says:
    Finished Extracting
    Tiano module compression method used
    EFI / Insyde BIOS
    Pubkey and Marker found in PADDING_1670.ROM at DA66
    'SLIC' string found in A5288050-8828-46C4-8F72-1CD735A56520_1438.ROM at 4D0
    OEM/Table IDs identified are:
    1. TOSCPLTOSCPL00
    Pubkey and marker (2.1) (TOSCPLTOSCPL00) (x1)

Can you guys help me please? How can I recover my laptop? Is there any chance?

15. hamid37

hamid37 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2014
    Broken x201 bios, need help

Yes pleaseupload again, I have the same problem, tried fn+b and hp utility USB tool but no luck.
    any help is appreciated
    thank you

16. blakeniel

blakeniel MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2010
    Help to recover a Thinkpad T420 UEFI based system

Hi all,
    I got a bricked (bios update gone bad) Thinkpad T420 laptop and tried many methods to recover it and no luck. Has anyone been able to recover a newer Thinkpad which comes with EFI bios? Any help would be appreciated.

17. Luckas

Luckas MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    Hello all,

I have a Toshiba A350D laptop with broken bios. I have tried all sorts of crisis and phlash16.exe file combinations without luck.

Both USB Drive and USB Floppy start to read something when i press FN+B, but after 1min they stop blinking and nothing happen. FANs run at maximum continuously.

Any ideea what else i could try?

Kind regards,
    Luckas

18. ultravy

ultravy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2010
    Try renaming the bios file in : AMIBIOS.ROM bold caracteres!
    Also ctrl+home pressed, before you power on the system.
    you must wait until recovery is complete.
    this is the default ami bios recovery!

19. DarnRevo

DarnRevo MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2014
    Thankyou so much for this! I just un-bricked my Acer RL80 using this method, but with a freeDOS bootable USB stick.

20. JamesCaan

JamesCaan MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2012