Windows Anytime Upgrade not working?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lucid, Mar 30, 2017.

1. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Just sorting out an older laptop. Its a Toshiba Satellite that came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit OEM. At some point someone reinstalled and used the COA licence. I checked and it had SLIC2.1 but no OEM Cert. installed. I then installed the correct Toshiba Cert. manually using slmgr.vbs then changed the key to the OEM toshiba one for W7 HP.
    It is then activated fine and working as genuine.

I then wanted to upgrade it to Professional, so used the Anytime Upgrade in the System page using the Toshiba OEM SLP Pro key. As per expected it gives you the fail notification page but upon reboot it normally upgrades just fine. It has worked previously with this method.

On reboot it remains at Home Premium with no Upgrade. I then deleted the WAU key from the registry and tried another Pro key but again the same result.

Is there some Windows Update installed that now blocks this? (note KB971033 or KB2952664 are not installed).

Whats the quickest other method to achieve the upgrade without a re-install?

2. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #3 lucid, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    (OP)
    Ok thanks for your reply so I either manually change the registry from Win 7 Home Premium to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    Change the EditionID to Professional
    Change the ProductName to Windows 7 Professional

or use the tool to do the same and then use the Pro key in Anytime Upgrade in the system page ? or add the key in anytime upgrade then change the registry to Professional or will it not matter the order?

And thats it. Or will I need the Win 7 setup from a DVD or USb as well?

EDIT

OK I tried both ways doing the anytime upgrade with the Pro key, then changing the registry as above then restarting. As well as re doing the anytime upgrade with the Pro key with the Reg already set as above at Pro. Same result still stuck on Home Premium.

Now going through the upgrade process from setup on the DVD. But this is a lengthy process and I'll likely have to do all the windows updates again, while the anytime upgrade process normally took just 5 mins.