Windows 7 on Kaby Lake CPUs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nenano, Jan 3, 2017.

1. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    from what i have read, w7 will only get security updates after july 2017. but i didnt think w7 would work on kaby lake, (in a seagoon voice) its all rather confusing really :D

for those who know their onions, it may be worth looking at this last round of updates to see if ms slip a kill switch or similar in those packages.

would ms resort to that trick, given their track record of giving users a greasy finger up the backside?

given their track record, given their bs publicity statements of "we are sorry yadda yadda yadda" etc, Expect The Unexpected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Google reports pomf.cat being bad, too...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    Kill switch?
    Not even m$ would have the bloody nerve, I think..
    they would have done it on xp, or vista, long before this
    time. As far as I am concerned, I paid for the right to
    use their sh*tty software, I got wise to Redmonds` little
    tricks when they tried to force w 10 down my throat,
    and turned off windose update in my copy of 7.
    [ It still runs flawlessly, btw..]
    I do not connect to m$ servers if I can help it.
    As far as I can see; the only chance they have now is to slip
    something into mse, as it still gets updates, and I still use it.
    But in that case, if they kill my w7 install, they destroy
    something that I paid for. Not even US laws will allow
    that, I suppose.

4. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    ms had had the nerve to to download and install w10 to your device without your say so, flood you with messages to download it, ignore the red x button and download and install it anyway so they can install w10 spyware os, where it ignores what you set it too and dials home anyway, have the many Off/Disable options in so may different places, and you say "Not even m$ would have the bloody nerve".

yes me ol bud, They Do Have The Bloody Nerve.

in fairness, you did add "I think"

:)

5. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016

and they will continue to stick their greasy finger up your bum while putting out platitudes in the media.

6. bbalegere

bbalegere MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    A user over at MSFN seems to have got Windows 7 Working on Kaby Lake.

msfn.org/board/topic/176414-windows-7-on-a-kaby-lake-laptop/

7. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    #27 wazzock, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  9. tihiq

tihiq MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2012
    Flipp3r, can you please confirm this:

4508 - it has a performance issue with the Cinebench R15 CPU test.
    4526 - scaling doesn't work for some resolutions.

10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Sorry, I've rebuilt with Win10. If you ever read the logs from Intel there are tons of bugs fixed & known bugs with EVERY release. Why would anyone want to use the on-board video anyway???

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm beginning to believe that if you buy a board and a cpu and build a custom pc that you can run Windows 7 on a 200 series chipset. If you buy an off the shelf OEM pc, you will not be able to find the drivers easily to run Windows 7. Which is not that far out of the ordinary when it comes to anything new having a required Windows 10 pre-installed. Downgrading to 7 will be another story on any OEM product as per their agreement with microsoft

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Really, what's the difference between a self built PC or OEM built? They are pretty generic. Perhaps with OEM you get a logo, UEFI optimized for 10, key in the UEFI.
    The drivers are pretty much all the same for a 200 series chipset. Pretty generic. ie, Realtek HDA, IRST 15 series, Intel Inf, Asmedia/Intel USB3, etc.

Notebooks may be the challenge with specific hardware like precision touchpad, etc...

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #33 Joe C, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    proprietary bios and proprietary hardware to start with, some Intel/Asmedia generic drivers might not work with windows 7 due to the proprietary bios/hardware.
    I do not know of anybody as of yet to get windows 7 running on an OEM system with the 100/200 series chipset, although I think Lenovo did state they are supporting Windows 7 on some of their new laptops, don't know the specs are on those units

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Flipp3r: I avoid OEM like the plague. However, I do recommend them to people who don't care about things like gaming or 'specialty' computing needs (e.g. Audio / studio recording, video production) OEM machines are just too 'generic' for those specific kinds of tasks.

Granted, you could shop around and find a machine that will fit those specific needs, but you'll spend more than if you build it yourself.

As far as using on-board vs external graphics cards go, I found that the on-board graphics adapter was more than adequate for my needs. (Recording studio Workstation) It also afforded me the ability to use a fanless power supply because I didn't have to contend with the extra wattage needed by an external graphics card.

That keeps the machine noise to a minimum, and helps me when I listen to and mix down audio.

YMMV.

@Joe C: Yup. :)

15. Sweet Clyde

Sweet Clyde MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    success with kaby lake

I was able to do it following the guide below. I don't have PS2 ports only USB3. Just get the drivers you need, usb, sata and load them. My first attempt had the flash drive installer working with usb but not the install itself. My second try I loaded several types of usb and sata drivers, fifteen in all to make sure some of them wouid stick. Surprise, it worked. I now have Win7 SP1 working on kaby lake.

Sorry I don't have enough posts to link yet but if you google:

"t750f25 Guide Integration of drivers into a Win image" [it's on the win-raid dot com site]

I'm also using a graphics card but there's a link to on board graphics drivers from Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI, google:

"windows 7 home premium news kaby lake treiber fuer windows 7 von mainboard herstellern zum download" [it's on the giga dot de site]

Good luck.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #36 Joe C, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Checking with the boards manufacture can really help a lot too. Recently I installed 7 on a ASRock B150 board and it only had one ps/2 and usb 3.0 ports, of course nothing worked but the ps/2 keyboard, So I went on line and found that ASRock shows how to get usb support by making a change in the bios for ps/2 to usb setting, I set that in the bios and got usb support so I could install the USB 3.0 drivers. ASRock also recommended to only temporarily use that ps/s to usb setting so I set it back to the default after I got the drivers in.

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've never heard of that before but it's pretty good to know. Thanks!

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I only know that of ASRock's B150 board, can't say about anything else out there but you must RTFM to find that kind of information

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009