Windows 7 Hotfix repository

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SoLoR, May 22, 2010.

1. terminx

terminx MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    The Zukona packs really weren't very good... no investigation into what the fixes do, which ones cause weird problems, which ones conflict, which ones obsolete existing fixes, etc. What would be useful now would be a script or utility handling the retrieval and installation of new hotfixes and also the removal of those which are obsolete, like a really dumbed down version of apt-get.

2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    Well thing is zukona can get updates that will never be released to public and most of us cant get them :) thats why those packs are good ;) but i totaly agree, i mean whats the point of having like 500+ updates installed if you can only have 300 and they do the same as those 500? Just more "useless" bloat on computer... Main issue with not having zukona packs is already mentioned that not all updates are publicaly avilable (that includes payed support) AND on some day MS decides and releases s**tloads of updates on payed support, first i need to scan whole database that takes about a day (dont want to flood MS servers with multiple requests at same time, so checking about 100k of KB numbers takes long time) and then if there is really many updates manualy requesting each one by mail, unziping etc etc is also kinda bleh :)

3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I personally like ZUKONA Bonus packs. I have installed up to pack 10.1 - I simply uncompress them the copy into the pack a (installer) that runs thru the entire mess... yes, I understand and know that not ever one is for my system... after the install and reboot, I then go an look at all the ERRORS listed and it tells me every KB that was not installed or needed for my special system. (Now I also take the time to do a FULL Backup prior to installing the bonuspacks.) I learned a long time ago when I started Beta Testing (Pre-Win95) some updates are stupid and KILL your system...I was one of them also the the UPDATE KILLED every Modem know to man.
    Now without a good backup how the hell did you ever get back on line... wow 33.6KB and DEAD in the water.... I love ZukoBonusPacks... every one. but thats me "Old enough to know better-but who the hell cares".

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i'm a bit more careful, I sit and click each hotfix one by one and have a look inside with 7-zip to see whats new.

mmmm...updates

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    The Zukona packs aren't meant to be sorted etc., they are just simply the latest available batch of updates that his source is able to supply to him from Microsoft (or something along those lines). Its up to the user to sort through them, and in that sense its great what Solor is doing. Best thing to do is wait till Solor updates his lists with Zukona's new batch, and then install them based on Solor's list.

Hopefully Zukona will be around a long time - the whole point of this thread is hotfixes, something which if you're unsure about Zukona's you probably shouldn't be installing hotfixes either!

6. terminx

terminx MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    The point is that it is... unwise... to just blindly install a mess of hotfixes that may not even apply to your system. The zukona packs are a poor choice for end users, not a poor choice for people who actually care to analyze the updates to get applicable fixes they otherwise wouldn't have. SoLoR and RanCorX2 have the right idea here. The "blindly install everything and see what sticks" group is the group with no business installing LDR hotfixes IMO.

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Well the Zukobonus is one source that Solor uses, without Zukonabonus packs the simple fact is, there will be less updates available :) I just hope whoever they are hasn't been put off by comments and still continues with what they've been doing as they do provide 'in house' updates you simply cannot get anywhere else (literally).

8. techie1

techie1 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    I'd like to see a version that includes just the GDR updates. I have yet to find a regularly updated pack that contains only GDR. I don't think installing every single LDR update is suitable for most users. I just want a pack that I can integrate and avoid having to download many updates from windows update.

9. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    Then download only the BLACK colored hotfixes on the list...but I guess thats too hard, you want someone to do it for you

10. techie1

techie1 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Yep, I suppose that's what I'll have to do. Just having these updates consolidated into one place for easy downloading is a big help.

It looks like ColdZero has made a pack that includes only GDR updates. I hope he will keep it up to date as SoLoR is doing with his pack.

11. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    that pack is totaly different thing... thats UPDATES that you can get over Windows Update... and NOT hotfixes...

12. ccuappz

ccuappz MDL Junior Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Hi,
    thanks for this great hotfix collection. But how can I integrate it to w7 dvd please?
    Any tools to do it?
    TIA

13. rusty725

rusty725 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    do people with win7-x64 only need to download x64 pack or x86 is applicable as well ?

14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    With x64, you only need the x64 pack, the x86 updates won't work. The x64 updates contains the x64 files plus any relevant x86 files if applicable.

15. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    very nice..........is this all or most of the hotfixs??

16. drkalbar

drkalbar MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    Hi all !!
    I'm new in this thing.
    Have a question about .cab files, how can i integrate it into w7 dvd ??
    Ultimate updater and w7 toolkit doesn't do this...

Edit: Issue solved. One more question about kb0000007 ? It dosen't integrate with win7, why ?

17. drkalbar

drkalbar MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    Plz help me about kb00000007 why i cannot integrate it with any customize win7 software ?

18. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    its not for all languages... that might be the case. hotfix includes only "wave0" languages, that means those standard ones like english, german, spanish, french and few more.

19. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    307 updates for x64 would mean you're including some superceded updates. Thats even when taking into account the useful additional updates.

Also, the version will be:
    7600.16385 --> 7600.20714

20. smirnoff32

smirnoff32 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    7600.20714.amd64fre.win7_ldr.100517-1050
    is also mine,installed the hotfixes from solor