Windows 10 install chkdsk issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Triple Nickel, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2014
    May have been asked and answered before, but I can't find it.
    Every Windows 10 clean installation I have worked on, whether it's a manufacturers OEM recovery clean install, or a MS iso clean install, it has this issue. Whenever that Windows 10 (hdd or ssd) is connected to a Windows 7 live system it is marked dirty, chkdsk must run, and it always finds and fixes file errors...first connection only, then it's 'clean'. FYI, I am simply connecting it to image Windows 10 for later use/install.
    If I connect the hard drive internally to a desktop 7 PC, chkdsk runs at bootup, if connected via USB to a live system chkdsk wants to scan the Windows 10 disk immediately after the hard drive driver is installed.
    Why the chkdsk file errors???

2. fryquez

fryquez MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2015
    It's most likely related to the fastboot of windows 10.
    Windows 10 usually uses a hybird shutdown and not fully saves all file system changes.
    Either disable fast startup or fully shutdown with

"shutdown /s /t 0"

3. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2014
    Thank you, but I believe I wasn't clear enough with describing the issue.
    Windows 10 clean installs on a separate SSD or HDD are being marked as dirty on bootup when connected either with internal SATA to any Windows 7 system, or when connected to a live Windows 7 system via eSATA or USB. Then chkdsk wants to run and it checks the Windows 10 partition and always finds and corrects a few file errors on a clean fresh install, but only on the initial 1st connection to any Windows 7 PC. After chkdsk runs once, all subsequent bootups or connections are error free. The Windows 10 disk partition is no longer marked as 'dirty'. Fast boot options are not selected or used in bios for any system.

Anyone else experiencing this?

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    check ur hdd with s.m.a.r.t application to see if its failing