Windows 10 Desktop

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiger-1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I've actually have seen desktops similar to that, and then they ask me why windows is so slow to start. 5+ gigs of folders on the desktop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    But the content of the folders doesn’t load, until you double click the folder.
    Currently I have 350GB of videos in folders in my Videos directory, yet it opens instantly. But if I double click a folder in it with many movies, it may take a little while for them all to appear as full icons.

Similarly program shortcuts don’t burden the system, unless you double click them to start the program.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It's always felt like windows loaded slower with mega-sized desktop folders on the desktop, Short cut folders are o.k.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
  5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Joe C well you can also hide your icons in desktop when needed is only right click and after re-hiden again (for those that have a lot of icons ;))

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Katz hehe well I use ClassicShell then I make so: I open File explorer search for video folder ( here subdivided in several sub-folders for example:audio, superbikes, bicycles, software tutorials etc, funny, health, travels around the world with bikes and so on) then I right click on Video folder and make one shortcut for ClassicShell that when I click on it I see all sub-folders to choose fast as one tiger :p

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yup, on Windows 7 Right click, click View and uncheck Show desktop icons
    Right click on the taskbar, click on Toolbar and check the desktop box to put all my icons in a folder on the taskbar.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I remember in my early, inexperienced times with my old XP, I didn’t know or bother to learn how to change Desktop wallpaper, as I had no intention of doing it – as a lazy cat, I don’t bother with things I have no use for.

Till suddenly my wallpaper changed of its own to an attractive but scarcely clad female model. No, it wasn’t malware or wallpaper hijacking, I somehow did it myself unintentionally while trying to save the said pic. Only then I bothered to learn how to reluctantly restore the far less attractive XP theme.

I later noticed that XP could do that kind of trick, as it happened again a couple of times, but never found out how.

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Katz ha ha I also have "strange" experiences when M$ launch Windows 3.1 I dont know how to configure time for screen saver then I need go to closet and when return my desktop vanish!! I stay crazy where is my desktop?? then suddenly I touch mouse and all return to "normal" lol I feel very happy; so I learn how to set correctly screen saver :weep::rofl:

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    :) Real easy with windows 7... Right click the image and...
    [​IMG]

Edit to add: that's odd, the image is not showing for me. :confused:

Link - http://b2.ifrm.com/309/115/0/p703914/Wallpaper.png

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: The image needs to be on a secure host. (https)
    That's why it's not showing. ;)

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    LOL. I guess no more images in my posts then.
    I am using my test forum as an image host and I don't have control over that aspect.

Maybe someday Brandon (The owner of Zetaboards) will redo his host. :dunno:
    On the plus side his last post was December 21st, so he is still somewhat active. ( Server outage )
    Last I knew, which was years ago, he was juggling his business and college.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Imgur works fine, allows hotlinking and keeps images for ever. And if you register, it keeps library of your images.

There's no need to look elsewhere.

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Yeah, forever is a relative term.
    I know I was royally pissed off when my threads, which I had literally thousands of hours of research into, became useless simply because an image host which I honestly thought was there forever began deleting images randomly.

That was Image shack.

From that point forward I will not use a service to host images which I have zero control over.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I use Photobucket for images I want to keep but just like you JFKI, Photobucket does not use secure https. The links for the https hosting sites I posted are just for temp images that I don't care to keep. Hey.... they are freebees so you can't expect a lot

17. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    ImagesHack not deletes images 'randomly'. It's explained that anonymous stuff gets deleted automatically after xyz days. Terms + FAQ. before the new Imageshack it was 90 days with the free account.

Service is :poop: anyway, better go with imgur, more tracking and ads.
    :rolleyes::g:

[/sarcasm]

@prashantsays

Tinywall
    :eek: o_O

18. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Well, my zetaboards testforum(s) are also freebies, but are they really ? I got in when they were new and did help with the debugging of it...
    Including those pictures within the ads ( Also not really free ) which were infected in the beginning. :dunno:
    On the flip side others on their support forums did help me with enhancements using Ajax, Javascript, and several other lesser languages which were eventually incorporated into the "live forum".

And yes, I have been told on occasion that I expect too much. :yes:

Perhaps I do. :dunno:

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Looking at that FAQ page,
    LONG after the damage was done.

Try going back to 2005ish.

20. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014