Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't forget to add that steam has a lot of games released for linux lately. Xcom 2, Wasteland 2 etc.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008

Yes you are right, Steam is also adding new games for Linux.

My HTPC has been running Ubuntu 16.04 solely (no dual boot) since early May, and it can do anything for HTPC needs as well, if not better than, Windows 10 did. No more stupid Windows update when MS frequently push GBs of update packages down our throat every month. With Ubuntu, the updates are mostly single-digit MBs or even less than 1MB. The actual used space on disk won't increase much since all the old files are replaced by new ones, the increase in used space is only due to the delta between old and new files, which is often negligible. With MS Update, expect ~1GB increase in used disk space every month even after clean up.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    That's true and it seems a lot of people using Linux are part of the Linux problem, they are opposed to change and behave quite badly if they see it.
    Linux is a great server and a bad desktop. But you can still get 95% of what you want done using the Linux desktop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Wasn't there an outcry from the Linux/Ubuntu community when they switched Gnome for Unity or something along those lines?

5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Hi R29K

Thanks again for the Elementary guide.

You are right, but I would say closer 85% of your tasks can be carried out under Linux, but again we all have different uses for our PC. I would and do recommend Linux to a lot people as the majority just want to browse the net, send an email and write the odd letter, many of the distros are very user friendly and would be ideal for these people [no one has taken me up on it].

I also think a lot of Linux users kid themselves, Gorski for example has taken me to task over media server software but halfway through his rant he says that he uses a NAS box, this is one task he is not using his PC for, how many others are there? Do this on your NAS box, do some other stuff on a tablet or Windows laptop and fool yourself into believing that you are a Linux Zen master.

6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    There was. Unity was good in concept, and did what some people were already doing with add-ons, but like with any other major change, there was grumbling.

When Canonical started pushing UbuntuOne and other, shall we say bloatware, onto the desktop with (I think) 12.10, it was the last straw for a lot of us.

I went to Mint and never looked back.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Kim, I use Linux NAS for many a reason, some of which I outlined. Therefore, what you wrote is a rant. I posted some arguments that you avoided - for a reason... Why on Earth would anyone need a Windows PC for a 'server', FCOL?!?

'Been enjoying direct playback from my NAS without a major problem, to various machines, Win or Lin (including my Panasonic TV) - for many years now, with very low energy bill.

What you are saying is bonkers! DLNA and CIFS do not work very well, by comparison to NFS, which works much better, esp. on a lower end HW! End of!

Check out Synology NAS products, for instance...

9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Your argument of Linux being secure just because of obscurity is totally false. Linux servers has the highest market share, although Linux desktop share is only ~2% right now. Servers are normally of greater value to hack than desktop PCs, so could you explain the high market share for Linux servers?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps its because Microsoft charge thousands and thousands of Dollars for their server releases? Your market share percentage is questionable, the figures I have been looking at puts it closer to 1.5%, even more pathetic than I thought. There is something fundamentally wrong with a system that has been around for so long and is such a resounding failure. The server versions of Linux are breathing down the neck of Microsoft but who cares? This discussion is about desktop distros and the appalling software support resulting in a piddling 1.5% share of the market. The original thread title is "Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people" well its not impossible at all and for many many people Linux would serve them well, for me it falls short, but why Linux is so totally ignored is beyond meo_O

10. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Someone is getting their panties in a twist lol.

You may be rolling in cash, I'm not, my PC has to do everything, just one machine, and its old. I cant look into all the new/different technology because I cant afford it, that's why I keep looking at Linux, and its why I am so disappointed that after all these years its still mediocre to say the least. I get really pissed of with spoilt rich kids on here bragging about their umpteen gadgets running every OS you can think of, why would they need something like Linux? :mad:

11. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
  12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  13. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Even MIcrosoft uses Linux servers, and their Hotmail product ran for years on BSD, as I recall.

reference: wired article 2015/09/microsoft-using-linux-run-cloud/

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I never liked this thread. To me, there are 3 kinds of people in the world: The 'Wills', the 'Cant's' and the 'Wont's'.

The 'Wills' do everything, the 'cant's' oppose everything, and the 'wont's' do nothing.

Linux, is an awesome OS. Each 'flavor' (or 'flavour' if you prefer) has its' own quirks. As a Linux user, you're forced (is compelled a better word? ) to understand the distro on a deeper level than is necessary for Windows.

You are also compelled to learn more than you need to learn for Windows. Hell the average Windows user will probably never use the CLI. Linux folks use it all the time. And if a program doesn't work to your liking under Linux, just hunt down the source and fix it. Don't know the programming language used to create the app? Then learn it.

If you can't or don't want to learn, then post a bug report over at the place where the app was developed. If you come here, whining and moaning about how Linux sucks because it's not Windows,
    then most people here are going to make fun of you.

Nobody likes a cry baby. Put on your 'big-girl' panties and handle it.

15. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    A voice of reason... (Gorski as well)

BTW.. what is "big girl panties"? ...the stuff my grandma hung on the washing line? That looked like a parachute?

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  17. Margusx

Margusx MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    i not care about spying linux not made for games what i play. Second did you guys tryed install win 10 without express install to turn all spy options off instead cry. Relly i not want to stay paranoid and continue use win 10 without messing to turn something off with some apps.