What kind of philosopher are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gorski, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Joe C thanks for share this amazing thoughts :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. meomeo031

meomeo031 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2017
    Simply put, it's philosophy that hasn't been learned out of a book.
    Usually, it's a mishmash of life lessons, oral traditions, and religion.
    At it's worst you can toss in New Age religion and alien abductions into the mix.
    At it's best, you might get Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My personal philosophy on spam:

"Spam that's interesting is not spam." (Katzenfreund)

Unfortunately, the above wisdom is not possessed by every mod.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Don't have much time for MDL posts atm, but could not resist :biggrin:

Dunno much of Paine, but actually sounds good....I thought I had answered not to be much of an active 'outward' revolutionist, though. ;) :biggrin::)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Jeezussss... U can't get more Western than that, Yen... :biggrin:

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have been surprised with the result, too. I actually have expected: No western Philosopher fits your thoughts :D

When I was young and did a test like what's your perfect profession.....the results were: Scientist or theologian, lol...

Need to get more about Paine to think about if he 'fits' well to my thoughts...:)

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I know very little about philosophy , although I have a thoughtful and enquiring mind. My quiz result produced this :

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Plato and Aristotle were the founders of western philosophy.

Then there is the eastern practical counterpart, just as old if not older, which consists in experiencing the universe in your Self. The Self lies above (or deeper inside) than the Ego and is the true representation of what you are. And the way to experience it is by means of regular, deep, inward-directed meditation.

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @alextheg hehe same of mine lol see my post #9 on first page :biggrin: is pure coincidence? :p

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, Yen, poor confused Confucius and Buddha are turning in their graves... :D

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :D Didn't see this earlier.

Your mind works like the philosopher

Rene Descartes

French philosopher Descartes is considered to have founded the school of modern Western philosophy. A rational moralist who viewed ethics as a science, he is most famous for his statement, 'I think therefore I am.' Like Descartes, you are quiet and contained, preferring to be alone conducting research or formulating theories than out partying. Your analytical mind loves to reason out explanations for unsolved mysteries and scientific enigmas, and your solutions are often unique and creative.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ahem...

That would be Spinoza but OK... Just a bitta foon, innit... :D

Oh, and Aristotle is the cornerstone of our civilisation! Period! All the way to Hegel, you can't find a greater mind! :)

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek: I thought it was the aliens that created humans in a test tube and moved them to a primordial Earth !

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Nah, silly, they sent meteorites with self imploding delivery system - cost efficient system, you see... :p

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Without trying to troll but only to show how little I understand philosophy, I find there is some truth in the following famous quote: by another distinguished ancient spirit.

There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it. (Cicero)

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You mean something like "There is nothing absurd enough that some philosopher hasn't said"? :D

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Yes, that's what I mean, but I gave the original version as I found it, probably a literal rather than adapted translation.

Translations are like women. When they are beautiful they are not faithful. And when they are faithful they are not beautiful. (E Jaloux)

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I thought women were like potatoes, you never know what they are like till you get them out of their clothes or skin as in a potato ?!
    I do not in anyway endorse skinning women, only potatoes ! :eek:

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yep, that's "skinning" (which both sides are supposed to do, with some small differences, given the anatomical differences... :D ) - if one is a literalist... :D

And let's face it, most people seem to be "literalists", sadly... :(