Uninstall IPv6 using EvilFinger's Enabler

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by biorpg, Jan 8, 2017.

1. biorpg

biorpg MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2010
    #1 biorpg, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    This was going to be a simple gif and a link(because it's that simple). But I can't post links or images, so you'll have to copy and paste the URLs below, which you won't be inclined to do unless I explain further...

Basically, EvilFinger's awesome 'Enabler" tool makes greyed out(disabled) window elements active and clickable.
    Now, this is amazing because a developer would need to include extra code to unlink a button's function to prevent its use, while most simply disable interaction with the button.

As you might already be aware, in the properties dialog of a Windows network adapter, "Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6)" is listed, but the "Uninstall" button is greyed out(ever get a giddy feeling when you see a greyed out button? well download Enabler and you just might).

Much to my surprise, upon clicking Uninstall, Windows prompted to confirm uninstallation of Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6). This completed without error, and properly removed IPv6 from all adapters.
    You may reinstall IPv6 from the adapter properties dialog by clicking Install > Protocol > Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6). This also completes without error.

GIF demonstrating IPv6 Uninstall: http:*​//imgur.*com/a/swpRR
    Tool used: https:*​//evilfingers.*net/tools/enabler.php

2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #2 sml156, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    I am not sure what planet you are from but here on planet earth IPv6 is needed for local lan traffic so Windows and any other OS can talk to each other,

Disabling IPv6 on your WLan or Lan will cause problems with most Windows user's (like yourself) trying to figure why networking does not work.
    --- most user's will have to reinstall Windows (like yourself) to get networking working.

IPv6 has been around for about 15 or 20 years and weather you like it or not it's here to stay and weather your ISP has got off their fat multi billion money grabbing asses and spend millions of dollars to upgrade their antiquated equipment people like you will wounder why they can't get to a new popular site.
    --- most user's will have to reinstall Windows when ISP's do upgrade their equipment (like yourself) to get networking working.

Fun Fact: Who uses IPv6 the most
    1. Third world countries --- WTF why is that it cant be right --- Ya it is because third world countries are just starting out and IPv6 is enabled by default on newer equipment
    2. Cell Phones --- WTF why is that it cant be right -- Ya it is because the equipment needed to support the ever increasing data transfer rates has IPv6 is enabled by default

I would suggest that anyone reading this post to check and make sure you have IPv6 enabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Second this. In fact, I'm connected to this board using IPv6 (Cloudflare is IPv6-enabled).

4. biorpg

biorpg MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2010
    FilePlanet

Networking worked. Websites load fine, MWB function was uninterrupted between my two machines.

My ISP has had an IPv6 infrastructure for a long time, but do not enforce its use.

The only issue uninstalling it caused, was Windows would not allow access to ipv4 properties to change IP until I reinstalled it with 2 clicks; a rather arbitrary caveat. But I understand how the simplicity of reinstalling Windows every time something doesn't work could eventually seem like the only solution when one holds that belief for too long.

You might need a pillow to sit on if you keep ranting out that end.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    A nice tool, but I would not use it, I like to know, what it does in depth, after all, it is evil. :sly:

Disabling IPv6 solves many network problems, not to mention privacy concerns, since IPv6 is unique for each computer. I disable it like this, including unchecking the box of course:

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f

6. lantern

lantern MDL Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #6 lantern, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @TairikuOkami very good explanation for disable IPv6 dude I can make same thing here one time that I simply uncheck the box only :mushy: now I can correct this thanks in advance :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. biorpg

biorpg MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2010
    #8 biorpg, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    (OP)
    EvilFingers is a professional in infosec, I believe he wrote the tools on that site in his earlier years. The other tools don't really interest me too much, but Enabler is universally awesome. I have been able to bypass a handful of things using it, and buttons that don't function when simply made clickable again aren't as common as you might think. Although, their function often isn't logical to be executed when you might click it in such a way, so it may throw an error, but usually just performs a redundant action such as attempting to save nothing or run through it's function with a missing parameter. Like on PCI devices in Device Manager, you can enable interaction with the drop-down list on the Resources tab, but it's simply empty.
    The main challenge in its use is trying to remember that it's available after years of training yourself not to give greyed-out things a second thought until they aren't. One other instance in which it proved to be magical would be inappropriate for this forum, as it allowed saving a file generated by a program that needed a license to activate the save button.

Correction: EvilFingers is a group of infosec professionals. :band:
    They credit Jack O'Neill as the author of Enabler.

9. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    You can't be serious! :confused:

However I would prefer disabling IPv6 via registry, which is documented and supported.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters
    DisabledComponents DWORD 0x000000ff

A more graceful value is DWORD 0x00000020 which would prioritise IPv4 vs IPv6