UnCleaner - The Unnecessary Files Cleaner Solution

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Josh Cell, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ugurano

ugurano MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2014
    thy josh, your uploads working very good

2. babuin12

babuin12 MDL Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Can i try UnCleaner on win 10 x64 TP ? I think it should work without any damages .

3. SmartMaher

SmartMaher MDL Novice

May 22, 2015
    really fantastic i love all of your project simple and flat
    thank you for your efforts :clap:

4. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    lol was about to ask if it worked well with Win10, not willing to try it tho.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. biff2014

biff2014 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2014
    works ok on windows 10 pro :D

6. Shakur92

Shakur92 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    fantastic and simple piece of software, thank you

7. doubtfire

doubtfire MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2015
    Having trouble extracting it to make it portable. Mainly gives you one large ".text" file.

8. simsimee

simsimee MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2015
    Thanks.
    I just installed .. it found 207 MB of unnecessary files and folders..

9. Sha3Ma9

Sha3Ma9 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2016
    Just tried this and thank Josh for his hard work.

10. kabbage1

kabbage1 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2014
    #390 kabbage1, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Your little app has deleted all of my long-collected Music collection. More than 500GB, and probably much more, because I have so much surprising free disk space now. I have no idea how or why or how to check what other files it exterminated for no apparent reason.
    Where is the log file located?

EDIT: I checked; it deleted everything that was behind a symlink, which happens to be more or less everything I ever downloaded. I innocently thought the "Clean" button would show me what files it was going to delete (why else would there be a "Clean" AND an "Auto-clean"?), but the files are at no point shown and nothing is, of course, sent to Recycle Bin.

Use a ton of judgement before using this application, and make sure you've backed up before.

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why dont you have a backup? Nothing important to me has been deleted. Where was the files stored?
    Its not his fault you cant read or ask before using it.

12. kabbage1

kabbage1 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2014
    #393 kabbage1, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    A few hours later, now calmer:
    I don't backup things I can download again. I can't afford that many external harddrives. I just never expected 1.3TB of Videos and Music spread over 3 harddrives to all be deleted at once, potentially killing my ratio in multiple places. I know it's my fault for trusting a user-created application with no liability, etc., and not being extra careful.
    I actually read through the thread to look for replies like mine and found none, so I let my guard down. I'm guessing not many people organize their data using symlinks, so this bug wasn't found before.
    It was stored in various places (C:\Users\***\Music, G:\Videos and more). I think what they had in common was being symlinked to from more than one place.
    I've managed to recover some of the data using Recuva, and I've learnt my lesson.

Suggestions, besides looking into the symlink bug:
    * Add an intermediate step, showing the files about to be deleted.
    * Delete to Recycle Bin instead of irreversibly.
    * Create a log file, detailing what files have been deleted.

13. Shredder11

Shredder11 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2012
    Not come across symlinks before and now I know to avoid them like the plague! I have two 6TB drives inside my NAS, along with three 2TB USB external drives and then tons of SSD drives in all my laptops and desktop computers. However I am not really into video that much but I have approx 1TB of them, some created by myself. My music collection is around 3TB because I have wide tastes and also prefer audiophile releases, or vinyl rips where possible. I need to find a suitable backup solution, because nothing is really backed up yet. In the past with smaller drives, e.g. 300GB IDE drives I always kept a backup elsewhere. Now that drives and personal data are so colossal in size, this task is becoming extremely fraught and difficult.

I think your suggestions for this piece of software are valid, because anything without a warning or undo feature is risky.

14. kabbage1

kabbage1 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2014
    No real reason to avoid them. I've never come across any problems with data corruption or deletion that had to do with symlinks before this specific software. I'm assuming the author saw some unnecessary Windows files using the same pattern (multiple symlinks to one place), so he decided those should be deleted.

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Dat is weird. I have music files and roughly 3TB i havent lost yet.
    There is a button telling which files are to be deleted. Its called Last file report.

16. loader24

loader24 MDL Junior Member

May 18, 2016
    Where did you stored your music collection? in the temporary folder? By the way, please read all comments on this thread if you gonna find out even one with the same scenario with you. Look for me, its unfair when we blame others of our fault. ;)

17. Shredder11

Shredder11 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2012
    If you have taken a long time to build a cherished music collection, I would assume you also have a full backup of it on an external drive, separate from your main computer? I have a 3TB collection on my NAS but I also have a backup on an external 5TB USB 3.0 hard drive. I also have some of it backed up on DVD discs and audio CDs. Unless you have a full backup, you do not have a music collection at all.

18. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Can this be used to clean up a Win 2008 instance?

19. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008