Tool to Insert/Replace SLIC in Phoenix / Insyde / Dell / EFI BIOSes

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by andyp, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ya, go on with it.

2. SLICuser

SLICuser MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2009
  3. acer4

acer4 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    Problem with newer Dell Precision models/bios..

Greetings!

I’m trying to create SLIC 2.2 bios for Dell Precision T7610 and having a problem.

[Problem behavior that I’m experiencing]
    The phoenixtool produces HDR file (I tried both Dynamic and Module methods, and version 2.56, 2.57, and 2.66) and says the process was successful. But, when I tried to use the file, it (dellBiosUpdate) says it’s not a valid RBU HDR file – the file doesn’t have ‘$RBU’ header. - Upon reviewing the file via hexeditor, I’ve confirmed it indeed doesn’t start with “$RBU”. Instead, the produced file starts with “PFS.HDR…”.

[What I’ve tried and noticed]
    I’ve tried the same procedure for different Dell Precision models, and it works fine/correctly for older models of Dell Precision.
    For T3400, which the size of original bios file is small (863KB), the tool produces the result file in “.exe” extension. And, the produced file works.
    For T3500, which the size of original bios file is slightly bigger (1,194KB), the tool produces the result file in “.HDR” extension, the produced file has ‘$RBU’ header and works.

However, for newer models (T3600, T3610, T5810, and T7610), which the size of original bios file is large (5,769 ~ 9,642KB), the tool produces file with no extension (such as ‘T7610A12_SLIC’), and the resulted file doesn’t have ‘$RBU’ header. The situation is same for 'bios.hdr’ in produced ‘bios.gz’ file.

[What I am hoping]
    In case it’s not a bug but mere user issue, could you kindly let me know how to use the produced file correctly? ‘dellBiosUpdate’ is only procedure/command that I know that supports ‘hdr’, but it doesn’t like the produced file.

Thank you in advance. :worthy:

acer4

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. acer4

acer4 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    @Tito

Thank for reply.

I've tried, but it exhibits the similar problem behavior unfortunately. Whenever I select the hdr file (that doesn't have proper heading, which all from the newer models), the DCCU bombs out with the error (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage). Yeah, the error message obviously looks alot like network/setup issue. But, when I use the hdr that for older model, the same procedure (DCCU) works fine - produces the new executable. So, inspite of different approach, I'm in same situation.

According to google search, DCCU doesn't support the newer model with UEFI. So, I'm not sure if UEFI is the cause of problem (with DCCU) or if DCCU is also refusing the hdr fie because it lacks appropriate ‘$RBU’ header, just as what dellBiosUpdate's saying. hmm...

Could you do me a favor, if possible? Could you tell me if hdr file that starts with “PFS.HDR…” is normal or not?

Thank you so much.

acer4

6. PiterEL

PiterEL MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi
    I need help.
    I donwload latest soft from firts post version 2.66. I have a notebook Lenovo G550 with Phoenix bios. In app i open my bios in version 2.53 with added support more CPU but i want add my new wifi card to whitelist.

When i open in app my BIOS.WPH it is decompressed in directory DUMP. Then i go to directory DUMP and open file name BIOSCOD02.ROM in hex editor and in this file i change hex value old card with VID and PID my new card.
    Old card VID 14E4 PID 4315
    New card VID 1814 PID 3290
    New card is with bluetooth all in one. I also must add VID and PID for bluetooth 1814 and 3298 ?
    In file BIOSCOD02.ROM i replace value E4141543 with 14189032. It was replace in 5 places.
    Then i save file.
    Next in Phoenix Tools i select "SLIC file"- LENOVO[CB-01]2.1-003B5CC5.BIN and "RW file" (in this i select file ACPItable generated by this tools RW-Everything-Latest-News ) and also select certificate for Lenovo.
    Then click GO in app. File with new bios was generate.
    I write this bios to my Notebook but wifi card is still not autorized.
    Then i open BIOS_SLIC.WPH and decompresed and check that in file BIOSCOD02.ROM is changed which i add to my VID and PID new card. And in file is old value old card. File is not modify.
    Why ?
    Please help me how i can add my new wifi card to whitelist or how i can remove whitelist from my bios.
    Thanks

7. randomice

randomice MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    Have you solved the problem with the "PFS.HDR..." files? Was able to flash a modified BIOS?

8. Electricl

Electricl MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2017
    Hello guys

Im new to all this and I'm really trying to learn. I have a Lenovo Yoga 910 that I bricked while downgrading the BIOS. When I turn it on the backlight for the keyboard comes on, I still can control the light intensity by pressing FN+spacebar, so I figured the laptop can be saved. When I download a BIOS file, for example the latest one 2jcn35ww.exe, and extract it with 7zip the files I get differ from what I'm supposed to be getting. If I get an older BIOS file that look different and extract it with 7zip and run it through Phoenixmod tool I get an error, it says SLIC cant be inserted or not enough space to modify modules. Like i said, I'm new at this and it's really confusing. Could somebody help me out?

9. Mordrag

Mordrag MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2017
    Hi Guys,
    i've got a Problem by finding out the Recovery Filename from an Alienware 17 R4. The tool load the .hdr File but didn't show me the Recovery Filename.
    Someone an Idea why he didn't show me the name? Someone know how the filename is?

Need to recover it becouse it get stuck by udating the bios.
    Thanks and Regard

10. sbpetrack

sbpetrack MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2017
    I have a friend's exceedingly dead Dell XPS 13 L322x, and he is looking to me to produce an Easter-miracle with his laptop. I've looked at a LOT of forums and posts over the past few days, but the tool offered here, along with the unbelievable clarity and thoroughness of the tutorial, are unmatched. You seem to have the patience of a Saint as well, but i'll try not to test that.
    I have every reason to think that he bricked the machine whlie trying to upgrade his bios, so my goal is to crisis-recovery restore the BIOS. I am missing or unclear about two items, and would be very grateful for help with them:

1. I can get a bios-updater .exe from the Dell support site for the original BIOS machine of this machine. But the only rom image i seem to be able to extract from it is a bios.CAP file. Instructions I see generally tell me to run the .exe with an option /WriteRomFile or /WriteHdrFile, but with the L322xA??.exe file for this machine ( where ?? is the bios revision from 01 to 10), those options seem to have no effect (Nor when I replace / with - to specify the option). I get the .CAP file by running the .exe and collecting the file from the %user%\appdata\local\temp\ExtractTemp. And I note that when i feed the whole .exe to your PhoenixTool, and follow your instructions, the end result is **also** a.CAP file.
    Do I need to convert the .CAP file to a .WPH or ROM file before I flash i with Phlash17 on DOS? If so, could you point me to a conversion tool?Or perhaps .CAP is the new .wph, and I am to flash the .CAP file.

2. There seems to be little or nothing about the right key combination to use with Dell laptops to start a recovery-flash. In fact, the only post about this i've seen all use the <end> key, and they dont seem to even mention pressing the power on button. You connect the disconnect power// connect USB/floppy // press end // release end, and flashing begins. And I was able to verify that this DOES enable me to flash a healthy bios (on a different, healthy Dell laptop). BUt perhaps this jus does an 'ordinary' flash, not a crisis-recovery flash. Would by chance KNOW what the right combination of keys is for this model? In particular, is it even posssible that the right key combo does not involve presssing the power button?

3. Your instructions seem to tell me to use Phlash17 and DOS, which is fine. I just see that Phlash17 seems to be one of older choices, and that there are plenty of other utilities that flash in doS. I just was wondering if you still recommend that one for BIOS crisis-recovery, and if so, why?

Thanks very much indeed. By trial and error i'm guessing i can find the right key combination and see if Phlash17 is good enough. But I thinik i need actual facts about this .cap file business. I don't want to flash a .CAP file if it has a completrely different format from the.ROM file i was instructed to look for.

-scott

PS: I tried to attach both the DELL XP 13 L322x bios updater-.exe, in case you can find how to make the /writeromfile option work, and also the .CAP file i extract from it (just by running it and checking the directory mentioned in the post). But one is over 4MB and the other over 13MB, which are too large to post in the forum. PM me and I'll be happy to send you either or both.

11. Thinkpoint

Thinkpoint MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    If my BIOS came with SLIC 2.1 shipped from the manufacturer, I don't need a modified BIOS for activating a new installation of Windows 7 on a GPT formatted partition, is that correct?

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes it is.

13. Thinkpoint

Thinkpoint MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    Thank you, that really helped! I clicked skip when windows asked for a key and finished the user setup before booting to recovery mode to delete some registry keys to reset windows 7 to OEM state. Then I just installed the cert and ran -rilc to activate the new installation of windows 7. Finally got it installed with UEFI enabled.

14. hsihsaved

hsihsaved MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Dell replaced the motherboard for my XPS 9560 which doesn't have the MSDM table anymore. They did provide a key card for activation if required.

Is there any way I can inject that key using this tool?

I also have another exact laptop, was wondering if it's possible to extract the table from there, change the key and then inject into the new mobo...

Any help or pointers would be more than appreciated!

15. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    The tool does not work with the last 2 releases of the BIOS for Dell R510 servers.

Seems to be a bug in the new DELL code. Other similar DELL server bios's work fine (eg DELL R410)

16. gujiangjiang

gujiangjiang MDL Novice

May 24, 2013
    Thanks for your work.

17. vp2

vp2 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2015
    "Header pattern unknown" error occurs with most of BIOS version for Dell PowerEdge R810...

18. _Iz-

_Iz- MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2007
    anyone know how to successfully mod an Asus notebook bios?

I have an X550ca. I'm trying to mod the v300 bios to add slic 2.1 for win 7

If i feed andys tool (v2.66) the bios (x550caas.300) and the rw report from the laptop i can successfully make a bios but neither winflash nor the bios flash utility will actually flash it to the laptop. Just says its invalid. The new module method is apparently only for desktop mobos and when i try and make one for the laptop using that method anyway andys tool fails to even make a bios.

Any ideas?

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @_Iz-

For newesr Asus laptop firmwares, you can't directly use this tool. Ask @Serg008 for more help.