This is no request thread! HP COMPAQ bioses, how to modify the bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Yen, Aug 6, 2009.

1. haiduongbk

haiduongbk MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
  2. jiriteach

jiriteach MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    @haiduongbk and @navino87

Theres no point even trying to mod your BIOS to SLIC 2.1. You won't be able to load it. This is the current problem.

The guys are trying to come up with a solution. Hopefully we can find a way to load modded BIOS's but until then, having a modded BIOS is no good :)

3. ckv

ckv MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2008
    Sounds nice. Will i then be possible to get one that has the bios for a 6710b ?

4. andmail

andmail MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2008
    #25 andmail, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. Pyotr

Pyotr MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2007
    #26 Pyotr, Aug 8, 2009
  6. jiriteach

jiriteach MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Yup it's having the right rompaq thats the problem. All the ones I have found are not for these models.

7. andmail

andmail MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2008
    Pyotr

You seem to be right.
    The earliest version rompaq.exe for 8710p is 4.6D, which is doesn't work.
    Earlier versions, such as 4.69, 4.68, 4.63, 4.61 are not working too.
    So, it seems, modded rompaq.exe (such as 4.6D) needed for 8710p.

8. Pyotr

Pyotr MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2007
    Andmail

Don’t know, but just checked romaq which I used to flash my mod bios with rompaq from HP website for nx9420 in winHex and they are exactly the same so therefore my rompaq is not modified as I originally thought and that means there is something else involved..

Funny is you can have original slic 2.0 table from hp in bios but it not necessary means vista will be activated because for some reason it can’t see slic even is there.
    There is something which working together with rompaq.exe and updating/enabling certain parts of bios which is located not like on normal pc in one chip but more small eprom chips where each one take care of some part of laptop like: screen settings, tpm module , bios passwords etc... and I think there is something which HP pre set somewhere and it vary from model to model configuration which telling to rompaq which part to update and which not.

Another strange thing is the error message 104-unsupported wireless network device when you install unbranded wifi card and it hang and wouldn’t boot.
    There are fixes on net how to go around but most interesting one is boot laptop with old card normally then put it in to sleep mode change card for new one power it up it will of course find new HW and install drivers and u can use it. But most strange part is it still working even after restart even you take battery out and unplug power lead and next time you power up it still work and there is no 104 massage. So how that work???
    So what the hell the Compaq bios is????

9. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    How do you tell it is HP-Phoenix bios?

My m8330f Pavilion does not have a bios file on the HP site. I can't find it anywhere.

When it boots, it says Phoenix-Award at the top and it has a working Slic 2.0. I was able to create a Winphlash16 backup and I posted a 2.1 request in the Phoenix request thread. But, once modded, can I then Winphlash it back into my system? All these checksum issues make me wonder.

MSBT :confused:

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. mutante

mutante MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    HPQFlash

Hummm have you test it? I't doesn't show any error ... at least on my computer :) you now ...

12. gregg

gregg MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    #38 gregg, Aug 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I cannot try since I haven't got HP-Phoenix bios. But halaween has tried a patched HPQ-flash already.....hmmm yours is different..maybe I'm wrong and it works....will have a look...

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #40 Yen, Aug 9, 2009
    (OP)