This is no request thread! HP COMPAQ bioses, how to modify the bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Yen, Aug 6, 2009.

1. pcotter

pcotter MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2008
    #181 pcotter, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Pyotr

Pyotr MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2007
    #182 Pyotr, Aug 11, 2009
  3. ADMiNZ

ADMiNZ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ADMiNZ

ADMiNZ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2008
    #185 ADMiNZ, Aug 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    #186 TTAV134, Aug 11, 2009
  6. ADMiNZ

ADMiNZ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2008

7. gregg

gregg MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    #188 gregg, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. ADMiNZ

ADMiNZ MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2008
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. shift-del

shift-del MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2008
    #191 shift-del, Aug 11, 2009
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    mutante, ADDCC contains a decompressor. If you cut the first FFh byte area from the biosfile it's able to decompress the modules. Do you think there is a way to make the bioscode to read the FIRST occurrence of SLIC which can be modified?
    We have to find the call and modify it that it calls the first occurrence..it's the same code!!! Possible? Too dangerous?

12. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
    No problems, I saw the response from Pyotr and will use his modified bios tonight :D

13. Pyotr

Pyotr MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2007
    Ok no problem, just want to help p4spooky:D.
    But now I understand thanks!

14. shift-del

shift-del MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2008
    Don't mention it. I hope he could manage to update his laptop. Unfortunatelly I have to wait for mine, because it is a Santa Rosa based one. :cool:

15. mutante

mutante MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    I have decompressed it, but I haven't found where is it verified, I'm affraid that code to do it is not there, perhaps on some ROM hardcoded at the computer.

So the question right now is, that there is another checksum somewhere that hace to be corrected, because rompaq tell it to us.

16. mutante

mutante MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #197 mutante, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Thank you very much I think it clearly tell us that after flashing the ROM (although it is incorrect, checksum I mean) when something is going to install it and checksum fails, it doesn't install it.

Once again a hidden checksum must be there.

Yen one question do you know where the additive checksum is stored? I can't find it.

People what do you think?

17. mutante

mutante MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Hummm I think it could be dangerous, but we'll try it is everything else fails :)

I have asked you on another post but I'm going to repeat the question, do you know where is the additive checksum stored? (the addcc checksum) I can't find it.

And one more, Is there a compressor? the person who do the decompressor should be able to do a compressor, I think.

18. gregg

gregg MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    I agree that hpqflash and rompack check both a hidden checksum in bios. That's why rompaq warn me about an integrity error...

I think same checksum is checked in hpqflash and rompaq, so maybe it is easiest for you to disassemble hpqflash to find checksum check routine.

For additiv checksum, ADDCC tool is made for other bios, not 68MAD with double marker. So I'm not sure the current checksum correction is really usefull for us.
    If I try to patch my Bios with modded Bios and modded Bios with checksum corrected, I have exactly same messages when using your patched RomPaq... and original RomPaq is unable to read both modded Bios.

You patched RomPaq to bypass Bios file check, maybe can we made reverse enginering to find the routine checking Bios file integrity...

Thanks

19. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I was saying all along, the 4 byte additive checksum (that only ADDCC seems to be able to calculate, did not find any other utility to do it) is usless in this case.
    As the rompaq is provided PER BIOS file, that means that they can program it to check a very specific part of the file. Would not be surprised if it was checking exactly where the SLIC is.
    So unless you guys can bypass this routine I do not think we can get lucky.

Or maybe there is a way to produce rom.sig & ver.sig for the modified rom.bin used with hpqflash?
    And use it to flash with original exe, but mod BIOS file?

sebus