The photograhpy thread-Exciting Places of the world

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Hazar, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Joe C really amazing Tulips dude :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Thank you.
    I've got pics somewhere but I think they are on Mrs. C's pc and can't find them

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Guys have said this to me before. :D

But that was a long time ago...

:eekout:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Sorry for the late reply. When I could be online after vacancy I mainly have been busy with the forums change.
    I posted that Briggs-Rauscher reaction here already. https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...d-tech-news-on-mdl.27804/page-12#post-1176026

I do 10 weeks lab traineeships every year with my trainees. There is time for such things. :)

MJ is right. Briggs and Rauscher used a system that impressively shows the colour change.

I simplify it (hopefully, lol).

The element Manganese when being as Ion with 2+ charge is almost colourless, it becomes then oxidised to 3+ which is 'golden'. Further redox processes then create elementary Iodine which is actually brown (as complex with KI), but when adding starch to it it becomes dark blue (complex with starch).

'Finally' the elementary Iodine vanishes by reaction with malonic acid to the colourless I- Ion (Iodide), the 'golden' Mn3+ goes back to the colourless Mn2+ and all starts over again.
    The bubbles are O2 (product of Hydrogenperoxide)

This kind of reaction has puzzled the chemists, the intermediate states are oscillating, but the global system goes from a to b. That means it finally will stop at its balance either way. It does not go all the time oscillating.
    The exact mechanism is complex and still matter of discussions.
    There are oscillating reactions which do oscillate hours.
    This one is short but very impressing due to the three colour changes.

I am glad that you liked my Laos slidesow. It’s my first one ever, need to get more used to the software I have bought therefore. I have shot many pictures during my trips last years. It’s actually a shame that they are 'only' on my HDD.
    When I have time again I'll make new slideshows to share pictures. :)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Yen only waiting for new amazing slides :p

6. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    #686 dareckibmw, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Belding's Ground Squirrel in Echo, UT

Nikon D810 Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 (@24mm) f/8 1/1000sec. ISO-320 -0.7step

[​IMG]DSC_3549 by Darek K., on Flickr

7. luisftm

luisftm MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Just WOW @ the photos.
    Thank you

8. Tunsdruff

Tunsdruff MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2011
    #688 Tunsdruff, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    P1020527_DxO_small.jpg

P1000115_DxO_small.jpg

9. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  10. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I checked out your Flickr page- wow, some amazing shots of some amazing cars. I was going to post a list of favorite shots, but the list just kept growing. :D So many great photos of beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing them.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep as said PointZero amazing cars myself love last one still I'm happy to see around here again thanks for all dude :D

12. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it . ;)

13. Bhavna Negi

Bhavna Negi MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2017
    :eek::rolleyes:very nice.....i love your photography

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #694 Yen, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Cambodia 2009, 2014, 2016. A new video.
    (Watch it on vimeo full screen or download it (link at bottom) if you want to have best quality).

**DISCLAIMER**
    This video contains pictures of "Choeung Ek" AKA 'Killing Fields'.
    Means pictures of human bones and skulls, skulls which are stored in a huge tower so the killed people's 'souls' can get their peace according to their Buddhist belief.

Hence this video might not be suitable for children to watch.
    When I started the slide show project about Cambodia I (as always) had no detailed idea what I want to express. After browsing through my pictures I was sure I do not want a 'common vacancy clip' with typically beautiful shots only.

Instead of I want to communicate (as much as possible) my feelings I had when I travelled there.
    It has got focus on their Buddhist belief and tradition, common life, their culture / shaken history and excavations.
    The ancient excavations especially Ta Prohm are mystic and energetic places with sensational roots and trees on walls.

As music track I've chosen 'Mysterious Places' from Dreaming Cooper which I have extended by mixing some loops to fit the length of the slide show.

Cambodia is one of the most impressing country I have visited. Despite of their shaken history and suffering they are aspiring and the country is on a good way to get well again.

The people are very nice, friendly, hospitable and 'local'. I am proud of my 'friendship scarf' a Cambodian family presented to me. It belongs to the most impressive moments of my life.

Making this video brought back a lot of memories.:hug2:

Vimeo renders the video a bit soft and adds some minor artefacts here and there, unfortunately...
    Anyway it is still a good quality. :)

Edit 21/04/2018:

Added download for original file (quality).
    Name: Cambodia_264.rar
    Pass: I1am2free3@mdl

https://anonymz.com/?https://drive....1XUkLeKlMNalT4aDfu7VmUPGk6ab0fM-P?usp=sharing

15. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Great photos, Yen. Thanks for sharing them. I would love to see Angkor Wat in person someday.

I used to work with a lady from Cambodia who lived through the Khmer Rouge occupation of her homeland. She lost family members and all possessions. She told me stories that made me wonder how a person could remain sane, after what she experienced as a teenager.

Her name's Teeda Mam and she shared her experiences with an author who wrote an incredible book: https://www.amazon.com/Destroy-You-No-Loss-Cambodian/dp/0963220519 It's absolutely heart-breaking to hear what happened to her family, her fellow citizens and her entire country. Anybody who has a even a casual interest in the "Killing Fields" era of Cambodia should read the book.

The Khmer Rouge didn't want to "waste" bullets when killing people, so they'd just club them on the back of head and leave them to die in the rice fields. Anybody who was college educated was killed. Anybody who held positions of authority or power was killed. Even if you wore eyeglasses, the Khmer Rouge thought you were "smart" and you were killed. Millions of people were killed. People had to play dumb to survive since the Khmer Rouge didn't want anybody challenging or questioning them in their quest to create a "utopian" Communist culture.

It's crazy to think that this type of thing happened in the world within just the last half century..

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #696 Yen, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Visiting Choeung Ek was a special moment. Already when we were on the way to there I had some shudders...as a German it is emotionally well associated to own German history. :(
    The difference is that there the communist ideology has been abused ('the perfect revolution') by a huge amount. The target had been 'intellectuals' so wearing glasses could have meant your death already.

The median age of the Cambodians is 25 years only due to the atrocities of Pol Pot.

It is heartwarming how nice the people there are....and you still meet older people without arms and legs there, too and there are still lots of land mines buried. It is still advised not to leave the already 'clean' paths.

The entire temple area is huge, around 200 square kilometres. Until today they discovered around 1000 temples.
    They assume it had been an area with more capital cities and one million citizens on an area of 1000 square kilometres. In the centre of each capital city there had been a temple complex.

Angkor Wat is the biggest temple complex in the world.

There is also reconstruction. And also drawings how it had been there at peak time. This must have been even more amazing!

17. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #697 PointZero, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    That's the great thing to hear- that the people are doing their best to move forward.

Angkor Wat is amazing in its construction. It really is impressive how advanced some of the old civilizations in the world were.

Thanks again for sharing your photos, Yen. (You're giving me ideas on ways to put my frequent flyer miles to use :D)

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome. :)

I am happy when people who are watching the video are touched in a way, whatever it is in personal detail.
    Making this video and sharing it were a great joy to me and I am happy when it does communicate something.:)

19. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Yen wow very good job and amazing place too thanks for share :)

20. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Plane spotting at LAX. This time using a helicopter to get some cool air2air shots! I'll have more pictures done in a few days

[​IMG]Air France Airbus A380-861 Reg. F-HPJD (CDG - LAX) by Darek K., on Flickr

[​IMG]All Nippon Airways Boeing 777-381(ER) Reg.JA781A (NRT - LAX) by Darek K., on Flickr

[​IMG]British Airways Airbus A380-841 Reg. G-XLEG (LHR - LAX) by Darek K., on Flickr

[​IMG]Asiana Airlines Airbus A380-841 Reg. HL7626 (ICN - LAX) by Darek K., on Flickr