The photograhpy thread-Exciting Places of the world

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Hazar, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm an avid amateur photographer, and although I do not have a lot of my photos to hand, I thought I'd upload a few I have taken, you're all welcome to share your favorite photos and whatnot.

Here's a couple I took:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sourcing these from my DA as they are already the correct size ;))

I look forward to seeing your photos. Have fun!

2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    That's one cool guy in the last picture :D

Nice shots Hazar :biggrin: I'll see if I can find some good ones to post sometime.

3. vbiagt

vbiagt MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2010
    nice pictures, you are a talent

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #4 timesurfer, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Favorite Places in the world - Pictures with Description

I'd like to see pictures of parts of the world you either like or makes you feel good or where you live or just any place and how did it make you feel and what was your experience? Any pictures of where you'd like to go? Did you see animals, meet someone, have an unexplainable experience?

I choose The Grand Canyon. When I was a kid and my parents took me there I remember them asking me what I thought. I said wow a big hole...lol Later as I've grown I've noticed it gives me the feeling of being ancient. Like as if I'm one with the grand canyon in all it's millions of years in getting created. One with the Earth. I feel as if I'll never die sitting beside the Grand Canyon. Like I'm living in an "eternity" with everything. One of my favorite places for sure so let me know yours and any info you have and how that place matters to you.

[​IMG]

Grand Canyon Skywalk Arizona, World’s Highest Glass Floor Above Ground

Glass floor is transparent section of a floor used for observation decks in order to facilitate viewing directly beneath where one is standing. Usually glass floor made of a reinforced glass, the most common use is as a tourist attraction. Glass-bottom boats are popular for allowing a better view into the water. Glass as a flooring material is used in both residential and commercial structures. Special hollow glass blocks known as glass pavers are often used in combination with a metal frame.

The highest glass floor above ground is the novel outdoor application of the Grand Canyon Skywalk at 4000 feet (1219 m), operated by the Hualapai Indian tribe. Some people have made a mistake about the highest glass floor with the building in Chicago. You can see the comparison of the height here:

[​IMG]

Grand Canyon Skywalk comparison

[​IMG]

Grand canyon skywalk from beside

[​IMG]

Grand canyon skywalk from above

[​IMG]

Grand Canyon Skywalk look bottom

5. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Thats one place i want to visit more than any :)

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Whoa cool avatar :eek:...lol

7. Alphawaves

Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    LOL, i would say the same but i love the fonz ;)

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I think the fonz is the best although I might try morrissey or the smiths ;)

9. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #9 NoJuan999, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Waimea Bay, Oahu, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandy Beach, Oahu Hawaii
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Cool topic!

I'll have a look and will post pictures soon!

Hey alfa, you have changed your avatar again!

Do you like Future Sound of London?
    I like them much, a masterpiece: Lifeforms!!!

http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Immersive Places

It was difficult to choose some pictures. Since I'm a hobby photographer I've got many.
    This time I have chosen mystic temples of Cambodia. The pictures I have shot at March 2009. All the pictures are out of cam, resized only.

Angkor Wat
    [​IMG]

Bayon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ta Prohm
    I had a special feeling there...have a look at the giant trees and temple walls....
    Look how the tree's root grasps the wall...
    [​IMG]

Remember that's a Temple that was built at about end of the 12th century!
    I was walking through the Ta Prohm temple area....strange noises of animals that are living at the forest, which is all around...many birds..and almost no wind. Sunny though and very hot and a lot air humidity.....

[​IMG]

Look at the door case at the picture below to imagine about the real sizes...it's an ordinary sized door case, about 2 meters high..
    [​IMG]
    My mind came down..my thoughts became less.......I was fascinated...how beautiful is this place??? I can't believe it..almost crying...thank you for being here..thank you!

[​IMG]

Suddenly......the wind became strong and the birds stopped to sing...
    The sun disappeared...is there a storm coming up????
    The surrounding area became drastic....whirlwind....which raised dust....I decided to go out of the temple complex.......
    The wind became stronger and cold......the light became darker...flashes of lightning......I felt as if ghosts of died souls were around......I was worried about an upcoming thunder storm...
    Was I an enemy that has disturbed that holy place???

[​IMG]

I started to run out........on my way a native girl said to me....do not run...everything fine......no raining...no raining......I couldn't believe her....still running.........after 15 minutes I arrived at the place where traders are selling their home made art:

[​IMG]

The sun was back, everything was like I have started.......an event I'll never forget.....enjoy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Calistoga

Jul 25, 2009
    Pyongyang: North Korea (DPRK)

Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK). That's one interesting country.

It's probably the absolutely most hopelessly managed state on earth, and this is why I find it interesting. Visiting has to be like traveling in time. No tech, no internet, almost no fuel and electricity. A totalitarian regime to the extent of unbelievable.

This is the man in charge, Kim Jong-Il:
    [​IMG]

Some sort of tribute to communism aka. Kim Jong-Il (and his father Kim Il-Sung) in the DPRK.
    [​IMG]

Pyongyang is a popular destination for amateur and professional photographers. I wonder why...
    [​IMG]

The traffic light system in Pyongyang has been disconnected due to shortage in electricity. This is the case where plan B is better than plan A:
    [​IMG]

This kid is a 4-star General and is set to take command when Kim Jong-Il is gone:
    [​IMG]

This country is so fascinating... Someday I will find time to pay my visit :D

It would be wrong of me to say that DPRK is my "favorite country". I do not support the government etc - but you have to agree it is fascinating!

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is fascinating, fascinating in the aspect how far away from ‘what a human is’ the DPRK is ruled.

I know another country, thank god it doesn’t exist anymore: The GDR (German Democratic Republic), originally DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik)
    There was a peaceful revolution and the Germans have been reunited.

IMO every republic (country) that has got the word ‘democratic’ as a part of the name of the country, is far away from democracy.

Remember what the DPRK did after they have lost 7:0 against Portugal (fifa world championship 2010)?

They stopped the broadcast and sent their coach into arrest (labor camp).

If you look into their faces you see (even if it seems that they are laughing) that there is no real happiness.
    If you go to there you’ll get a watchdog (they are calling it guide)….and your mobile phone becomes confiscated…do not even try it with a cam....they hate photo journalism….

If humanity should win again, the regime will go down as well. (I hope before they can use nuclear weapons)
    So visit it to learn what’s wrong. I agree with calling it 'A totalitarian regime to the extent of unbelievable'….this is fascinating…and shows how poor humans can be. The peoples are the sufferers, not the regime. No electricity, but military parades and glamour and probably nuclear weapons…

Btw: If you should be able to make photos there, please post them here. :D:)
    I would rather visit Burma (Myanmar) also a totalitarian regime, but I guess more interesting culture / countryside and easier travelling (no personal watchdog)

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #14 timesurfer, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Berkeley California - I live in oakland right now but not too crazy about it. Berkeley is much more prettier and laid back. Really nice parks. Always something to do or just do nothing. And any choice of food in the world is just a few minutes walk away. Probably the best part about berkeley isn't the people but the actual land and energy of berkeley. If you are broke and hungry berkeley takes care of it's people and it's a safe feeling for me

[​IMG]

Berkeley has everything from a place to fish

http://fis**t.freeshell.org/images/berkeley2.JPG

Go sailing

[​IMG]

to places to walk in the forest and view downtown berkeley

[​IMG]

and of course activism and protest is at every corner...lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

Come visit sometime see you there ;)

[​IMG]

15. Alphawaves

Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    FSOL are amongst my all time faves.. :)

16. Calistoga

Jul 25, 2009
    Yeah you are absolutely right. It's absurd and almost hard to believe that governments like this actually exists, since it is so extremely far away from what we take for granted.

When we're talking about the World Cup, this is what the DPRK coach said after the match against Brazil. I wonder if he actually though that anyone was going to believe that, or if it was a "calculated comment" - if you see what I mean.

Yes, a visit would eventually be to see with my own eyes how terrible humans can be to each other. I hope for a "democratic" future for the DPRK, but it seems almost impossible to me. Since the DPRK has been totally and completely isolated from most of the world for as long as many of the citizens may remember, and this may be all they know - how would life look like to them if everything they believed in from childhood where torn apart. How would one prepare a transition of this immense scale?

At the same time, that doesn't justify the continuation of the totalitarian regime at all. It would certainly require an enormous effort to make it happen while at the same time retain the relative stability of the country. I am sure, some day the DPRK will be a modern democratic state. But it certainly won't happen the day after tomorrow ;)

When I make it there, and if I manages to take pictures, they will be posted here :D

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #17 Yen, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Immersive Places Part 2

Beaches, sunset and food. Pictures I have taken 2005-2010.

Koh Lipe Island, Thailand

One of the nicest beaches I ever was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Typical delicious Thai food...Green Curry and fresh melon juice, yummy!

[​IMG]

Railay Beach, Thailand

At the left hand side there is an entrance into a cave an in it a place of worship

[​IMG]

A small Island of Thailand..can't remember its name...I was on a boat trip and only a short time there....

[​IMG]

Koh Phangan Island, Haad Rin Beach (Thailand)

[​IMG]

Koh Tao Island (Thailand)

[​IMG]

Finally two sunsets

Gili Air Island, Lombok, Indonesia

[​IMG]

Nusa Lembongan Island, Bali, Indonesia.

[​IMG]

Could be Ireland..lol.....

18. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #18 DARKOR04, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    El Morro Puerto Rico (Old San Juan)

I live in Puerto Rico and I'm very proud of my Island (La isla del Encanto). Also know by Tainos (A native tribe that lived in Puerto Rico about 500+ years back and become slaves of Spain settlers togheter with Africans) Boriquen or Borinquen.

The Spanish Settlers named the island "Puerto Rico" (Rich Port "In English" But it have no truaduction) because here where abundant Gold.

The Capital of Puerto Rico its (Old San Juan) El Viejo San Juan. This place its like a paridise for photgraphers and tourists, Its the oldest city in Puerto Rico, I love the peaceful enviroment, the San Felipe Castle, El Morro and many other areas.

el_morro_by_night.jpg
    Old San Juan Night View

Would like to visit The Grand Canyon, Colorado (US), Indonesia, Hawaii (US), Japan, Australia, Spain, Brazil, Europe (Some Places).... WOW the entire world if where possible in this life... lol :)

Attached Files:

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Immersive Places Part III Cities. The pictures I had shot 2002-2008.

Sukhothai Kingdom, the historic Thai kingdom

[​IMG]

Bangkok, actual Capital City of Thailand
    ..always foggy there...

[​IMG]

Pool view from sheraton bangkok hotel

[​IMG]

Singapore Skylines

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Kuala Lumpur, Capital City of Malaysia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The petronas towers there (before a thunderstorm):

[​IMG]

Hong Kong by day and at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

20. free0n

free0n MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    108088-melisenta.jpg
    Winter in Belarus