Stop Smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by floonoIdeogue, Nov 12, 2007.

1. floonoIdeogue

floonoIdeogue MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2007
    hi guys!
    how can i stop smoking? i tried to quit many times now but somehow i start it again and again..
    who knows some tricks? someone tried hypnosis or s.o. like that? i don't believe in a 'magic pill'
    but there must be a way.
    thx floonoIdeogue

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    There sure is. The most important point is that you really want to stop. Forever.
    If this step is taken, you can think about other steps...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cat

cat MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2007
    Hello

From Before Few

Smoke Conclusion Packet:D:rolleyes:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
    Hehe,
    after each smoked cigarette you have stopped smoking already! The cigarette is finished after a while so you must quit. (must put it into the ashtray or somewhere)

Just don't light up another one and you're done!;):D;)

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cat

cat MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2007
    You movements (Yen) :)

I do not drink smoke

Only if was smoke Drink friend:eek::eek:

6. cat

cat MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2007
    Thank you for Nasiank:)

7. kroha

kroha MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2007
    just STOP!!! :)

8. sebipo

sebipo MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2008
    stop smokin

I used to drink and right now I dont touch alcohol. I knw its more difficult to quit smokin than it is to quit drinkin. My secret is I started goin to church nd it became bit easier for me to quit. You can also try the same trick

9. Xeis

Xeis MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    Hi all,
    New member old post but for anybody who is interested....
    I smoked for over 28 years :eek:
    I tried cold turkey, patches, hypnosis and all types
    Finally Dr prescibed Chantix. Ya I know magic pill, right.
    Well it worked. I was on the pill for under a month and now I haven't had a smoke (ya I miss it) in over 3 months:D.
    Best of luck to those who want to quit. I know it's hard.

10. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I've been smoking over 38 years. Longest time I've been without cigarette was 52h 10m. But hey... no worries; I will stop... eventually. That's bound to happen the same day I stop drinking... and eating... and breathing. :D

11. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Although I am not condoning smoking, I believe our journey on this earth is short and you should live it to the fullest as you see fit.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I've read this thread again. I cannot resist to laugh, got tears in my eyes.:):)

...please help me, I've smoked my conclusion packet and now I feel Nasiank..........

I'm sorry for this nonsense, but I couldn't resist to post. I don't want to offend anyone....:)

Not being always that serious as I am when I'm talking about offsets and SLICs;)

13. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    NO Problems!

...nothing wrong with a good laugh!! :):eek:

14. scrabble-fish

scrabble-fish MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    Some tips on how to stop....

Hello,

A really good way to stop smoking is to replace that habitual smoking time with something quite the opposite....exercise. This might sound a bit naf...but the more someone starts taking their health seriously, the desire to smoke becomes less and less. Try running for 20 mintues twice a week whilst smoking to begin with and soon you might start wanting to give up naturally.

Another thing would be to totally avoid other smokers or situations (bars etc) where you would normally associate smoking with until the nicotine is out of your system....about a week and a half.

Every single day you don't smoke...your body decreases it's nicotine levels - which by the way are so highly influencial and mind controlling that it can dictate your everyday activities...like a mother busily searching around the house for her lighter whilst her child tries to talk to her about some problems at school.

Just try taking each day at a time..each hour...get through just that moment and you are closer.

Once you take an attitude towards your health that is nurturing....you will naturally want to kick that habit for good...

Best of luck,

Scrabble F

15. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    They say . . .

The answer is to be found in the conjunction of Reginakempher and Ancestor(v).

Most of the cloven-hoofed denizens that infest this world tend to do what "they" say or what "they" do. Take, for example, the simple cap: how many times in the recent past has the "in" way of wearing a cap changed? And, like Ken Keyes "Hundredth Monkey," once x-number of the denizens cock their caps to the side, everyone with a cap does.

"They" say one should not smoke and the admonition is followed by a litany of smoking-related cardiovascular and neoplastic ills. Bottom line, if you smoke you will die. But aren't we all going to die? I'm a Harley rider and I do not wear a helmet. WHAT! NO HELMET? YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

Ancestor(v) is absolutely correct: if you do not want it you won't get it. Never in my life have I obtained something I did not want. I never saved my pennies for a Corvette; I did so for a Harley. I was never able to quit smoking cigarettes because "they" said I should; I finally quit because I wanted to - for my reasons (easier to get dates :)).

Reginakempher is equally spot on: life is to be lived, not avoided, especially not to the degree that "they" urge. The fact is, if we all did what "they" say, we would probably never get out of bed - where we would die while waiting for Godot.

Ultimately, the question goes to how long do you want or hope to live (apart from getting dates). Yes, if one does not smoke cigarettes, one is unlikely to contract squamous cell carcinoma of the lung; one will simply live to a ripe old age, contract Alzheimer's disease, and spend the last 10 years of ones life sucking in air and blowing out CO2.

There is a balance that each of us must determine for themselves; I dare say, there is no right or wrong. The answer involves ones pragmatic reality, aspirations, family, cost, getting dates, and an infinite number of other very personal considerations.

In the end, all of us are able to do what WE want to do, for OUR reasons, and in OUR own time. As Ancestor(v) states, when YOU want to quit, you will quit. And as Reginakempher wisely observes, life is to be lived. I would add, always evaluate the pros, cons, and costs of your choices and then simply chose. I know the pros, cons and costs and I choose not to wear a helmet.

Monk

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #16 Yen, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    I never thought that thread will grow, but it does!:)
    HMonk Great post.

As you've decided not to wear a helmet I've decided to smoke when I'm going out with friends and have some beers.

"...life is to be lived...."
    Yes, that's the reason why I enjoy smoking....

They say: 'Smoking will shorten your lifetime'.

Of what avail is it, to do anything to live a long time (like not to smoke), to condemn all lifetime reducing habits and anyway never experiencing yourself who you are, what's life about and what's all about?
    You'll fear death anyway and your 'long' lifetime will be even too short for you.
    Smoker don't commit suicide.
    Eternal life is not meant to live endlessly in time. It's meant to LIVE NOW in the present, timeless. Enjoy your life, NOW, it's wonderful :)

17. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Forgot to mention . . .

Thanks Yen!

I forgot to mention. I quit cigarettes many years ago: took up pipe smoking, and an occasional cigar.

I am mindful of the psychobabble and sundry labels attendant to smoking. I don't date much any more (many middle aged women think a guy dressed in leather and riding a Harley is a gangsta) so I am less preoccupied with my "offensive" behaviors.

When I did smoke, beer or coffee were, necessarily, accompanied by a Lucky Strike, or its longer brother, Pall Mall. For me, especially now, smoking is meditative. I do not simply smoke my pipe: I savor its Balkan tobacco, I caress its warm bowl (some of which are quite buxom), and I am transported to that idyllic, carefree, and peaceful niche where, I dare say, we would all like to reside. Is it my opiate, my crutch, my oral gratification, as they say? Am I at an increased risk for chronic sinusitis, COPD, or oral cancer, as they note? Would psychotherapy or psychotropic drugs be able to transmute my unacceptable behavior to one that is acceptable, as they suggest? Socrates, where are you when we need you?

In my circle of leather-clad gangstas, a helmet is affectionately referred to as a brain bucket. If only to prove a little education is a dangerous thing, we are wont to quote Newton on the effects of inertia on the cervical spine when a helmet-encased cranium is challenged to go from 70 to zero in 16 feet.

In one of his plays, Oscar Wilde noted, "Life is too important to be taken seriously." In addition, for me life is to be and to do. I do not have a death wish but, at least on the surface, I seem to be happier than those for which life seems to be a struggle to outlive rocks.

Enjoy your friends, your beer, and your cigarette, my friend. Life is too short not to!

Monk

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    Nobody is really able to answer the first question. You always have to answer it by yourself. If you think so and follow the statistics and it's a real problem for you, you have to quit. Finally it's always you, who judges about a matter.

Also the second question, it's always you (your ego) that / who is defining what's a unacceptable behaviour and what's a acceptable one.
    The mechanism is always the same. Everybody is getting an idea of what he wants to be and is hunting for that idea. That idea arises from the influence of your social chart, especially from your family, parents, friends, from commercials, from the feeling there is something still unfinished. So everybody is constantly on the prowl. Since that idea is constantly changing the hunt will never end, trying to escape from death, fearing the death and zooom your life is finished. So you never have really lived. Honestly, we really think we can escape from death, we disavow the fact that life ends. (At least that what we think is life). Why else 'they' are stating that smoking will shorten your lifetime?

That's why it is that important to live in the present, simply to BE and to have meditative rituals like to smoke a good pipe or just to settle down. I think it's very important to have such times where you just can feel yourself. It don't have to be a good smoke, for somebody else it can be Yoga or just sitting outside and to watch the sunset together with good friends or the family. (Or to ride a Harley)

I wish I could express myself in an better way, but to do that not using my native is difficult. I've traveled many times through Asia, being a backpacker.
    I soon noticed that the self made problems which I've got here in my own little world (also defined by me) are nothing compared to others.
    And there is almost nothing nicer as just to enjoy the moment and to visit different countries, meet peoples and just to discover how nice a moment can be. As I've said life is wonderful, you just have to realize that. I know, sometimes it's not easy to get this all the time, but hence we are here.

19. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Dsm iv

Ayn Rand wrote a wonderful little book entitled, "The Virtue of Selfishness" in which she uses - not the popular meaning of selfish, i.e., a synonym of evil, but its exact meaning: a concern with one's own interests.

As evidenced by the DSM IV, mental health professionals are wont to classify everyone who resides outside the "norm." But what is the norm? Well, it vacillates with time, place, and peoples. My pierced ear catches more attention than women's ears which are pierced. My tattoos are more the topic of conversation that those of the Moari. Why am I considered abnormal, or foolish, or selfish, or amoral? More often than not because I do not do what everyone else does or I behave in ways that are contrary to my socio-economic standing or to what "they" expect, or because it contradicts the latest scientific evidence of right behaviors.

As Yen notes, to be, and to do, in the present is what life is all about - without all of the attendant judgments. How dare we allow our selves to be dictated to by todays' crop of pseudointellectuals and selfproclaimed moralists who know what's best for us.

I do not advocate smoking or riding without a helmet for anyone but me. More importantly, I am not going to judge what anyone else does. What I will do, however, is accept people as they are, warts and all, and enjoy the moment I have with them. Hopefully they will enjoy me.

Hey, you want to go for a ride?

Monk

20. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    :-D okay i quit smoking once again for tonight and tomorrow too.

this will be the last smoke of mine for life, and in 10 mins i go to bed kissing good night.
    when i wake up? brand new day, life and a smoking spree breaking self motivation.

moral: once a smoker is always a smoker. nicotine addiction is more severe than drug addiction.