Sony Boot Menu?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kronflux, Apr 4, 2017.

1. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    #1 kronflux, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    I'm wondering if it would be possible to modify a Sony VAIO(specifically VPCCB37FD)'s AMI BIOS to enable the AMI boot menu?

The VAIO relies on a stupid vendor partition boot menu, which is lost if you replace your hard drive.
    I've not only lost my recovery cd's, but I've also replaced my CDROM drive with a hard drive caddy.

I'd love the ability to boot specific devices from a menu, rather than relying on preconfigured boot order.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Edit: I took a poke around in AMIBCP, and was able to enable UEFI(which was not available previously) and network boot(which gives a prompt on the bios screen to press F12 for Network Boot) but I didn't see any obvious option to enable an actual boot menu, so I assume it would have to be added in some way.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @kronflux

Can you please post some screenshots of the bios & the boot menu itself?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @kronflux

The first screenshot refers to the 'Assist' menu of VAIO notebooks which is part of the firmware itself & has nothing to do with HDD/hidden partition. I've wiped/replaced HDDs of many VAIO notebooks with Aptio & Insyde firmwares & never had any problem to access it by pressing ASSIST button.

4. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    #5 kronflux, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    (OP)
    Sorry, but you're incorrect. At least for this particular model. I've done many hard drive replacements on these(and similar model) devices(VPC), and the menu is missing unless the official recovery media is used.

The assist button does absolutely nothing but power on the device without this recovery. (note that this model is one that has the WEB(quick access) and VAIO buttons as well as ASSIST)