POSReady 2009 crash with display resolutions larger than 640x480 8-bit

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by Ornithophilia, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    A Krex desktop that originally had Windows XP on it, I wiped it and put on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. Installed the same graphics drivers and other drivers because it IS Windows XP based, but if I try to increase the Display resolution more than 640x480 and 8-bit color. The system will crash and reboot and will repeatedly reboot until I hammer f8 and enable VGA resolution during boot. It did the same immediately after first install trying to run for the first time. Upon logging in after enabling VGA mode, I get a message that "the system recovered from a serious error". I can send a report to Microsoft but this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. I had two computers, a netbook and this desktop that did the same thing regarding graphics at high resolution. One with Intel Graphics and the other with AGP. The desktop has AGP. I googled various different ways of explaining the problem with nothing coming up at all. It is like I am the only one having this issue with POSReady. I can tell you one thing, Windows XP did not have the problem. neither on this desktop nor the netbook.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    If I understand the threads posted on the topic on this board one does not really install POSReady 2009 on one's computer.
    You install whatever version of XP you really want to use.
    Then you hack the registry etc so that it thinks it is POSReady 2009
    so that it will go and get updates with the warning that some of them may cause you problems
    This is probably one of the problems

...T

3. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Nope. I downloaded an ISO of POSReady 2009. So, I actually have POSReady 2009. XP does not do this crash POSReady, however; does

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Interessting but analytics may are very time consuming.
    Did you try to analyse a crash dump?

5. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    #5 onetwo3, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    i think somehow your hal or kernels got mixed up, did you install in VM then move to real hardware? probably easier to reinstall than fix unless your familiar with those components and swapping them. if so search for paepatch or fix128 and youll find threads all about that stuff.