OEMBIOS Backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 38956, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010
  2. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    nice job.....worked perfect.

3. XPLuva

XPLuva MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2010

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've removed the dead link

5. lsulsu

lsulsu MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    very well,thanks.

6. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010
    updated - v1.0 : 21120102.1

7. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Thank you for your tool ...
    Performs up very fast ... :p

8. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2010
    Can someone please help me out here. I am not sure what OEMBIOSBACKUP does.

Does this bypass the steps here (hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/9795-The-Windows-XP-OEMBIOS-Archive) of:
    1. run oembios tool
    2. compare OEMBIOS.CAT CRC value, with the appropriate OEMBIOS file set
    3. download the OEMBIOS set for my manufacturer (HP in my case)

Right? All I do is extract a Windows XP iso and stick in everything in the folder made by OEMBIOSBACKUP (OEMBIOS-90BBDCA0) and burn that to a DVD???

I would appreciate someone untangling this for me. Thanks in advance! :worthy:

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Is that too difficult to understand:

OEMBIOS BACKUP will retrieve the oembios files from an a existing windows installation and create an windows answer file for creating an OEM:SLP installation disc

sebus

10. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2010
    Sebus: ahaha, yes it was! damnit. thanks a lot. :D any idea what SLIC Toolkit does?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    SLIC Toolkit checks if the pc has SLIC 2.0/2.1 or not. SLIC is used to activate NT 6.x operating systems via oem:slp method. :)

12. 5aLIVE

5aLIVE MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    Hi Everyone, I found this forum purely by chance and this thread intrigued me as I like the idea of building a OEM:SLP installation disc that doesn't require online activation.

I downloaded and ran the OEMBIOS Backup command. Everything runs properly with the exception of the SignTool verification, only the OEMBIOS.CAT file passes this test. The windows answer file winnt.sif is successfully created and contains the correct product key as found on the COA label.

Will the SLP disc still work as intended using the 3 unverified OEMBIOS files?

Thank you for any help you can offer me,
    5aLIVE

edit: Could the file verification failure have anything two do with changing the main board?
    The original motherboard was an ASUS A7333 which had an "Evesham" BIOS string, the replacement board is a later revision of the A7V333 but it doesn't have this string. My copy Windows XP home was activated using the Evesham BIOS.

I thought I'd mention it in case it could be a contributing factor.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ 5aLIVE, are you sure that you are actually activated with OEM:SLP method did you not need to call M$ and use OEM:COA key when you changed the motherboard. Because key used for OEM:SLP is different from OEM:COA. you could check by running Microsoft's MGADiag Tool as instructed on first page.

14. 5aLIVE

5aLIVE MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    @urie, The OEM XP Home disc I got with this particular PC needed to be activated online using the supplied COA product key, I don't think I needed to reactivate after changing the motherboard.

What I wanted to do is convert this disc to OEM:SLP if possible.

Instead of converting this disc I decided to use a Samsung OEM disc as this is known to be a type 3 installation according to MGADiag.

THE OEMBIOS.CAT CRC for the ASUS BIOS installed PC is 2B9D 18CF which I understand to be generic and cannot be used for the purposes OEM:SLP.

The OEMBIOS tool gives CRC 2411 858C, so I copied the 4 corresponing ASUSTek BIOS files to an ISO
    file of my Samsung OEM disc along with a winnt.sif file which has my ASUS product key from the COA sticker.

I burned the image file to disc and rebooted my machine to start a fresh install.
    Everything runs as expected up to the point that I get a missing asms file error message and have to quit.
    I don't see this error again after rebooting and continuing the installation.

Most important of all is that the new install still prompts me for activation which suggest to me that the wrong OEMBIOS files are in use (based on what I have read on other threads posted here).

What do you think the problem is likely to be?

Running OEMBIOS-Backup.cmd on this install verifies all 4 OEMBIOS files as expected.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    OK Make an ISO file of your Samsung OEM disc using say UltraISO for example one you have done that remove cd and replace with blank. Open your newly created ISO file with UltraIso and copiy the 4 Asus oembios files to I386 folder and replace the Winnt.sif file ( I have sent you PM ) then burn to cd P.S. burn a slow speed x16 for example.

As I mentioned on an OEM:SLP activated machine The key from OEM:COA is not an OEM:SLP key.

16. 5aLIVE

5aLIVE MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    Hi urie,
    I'm pleased to report that my install is now pre-activated after replacing the OEM:COA with OEM:SLP key.

Many thanks for your help.:)

17. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Hi all,

I am new to the oem activation methodology. I have (and continue to) genuinely read the sticky s and key tutorials. Its getting difficult to follow through the whole landscape of this in a logical progression, as the key stickys and tutorials are spread out somewhat.

I think my request may be unique, that is why I am posting.

I have a Benq Joybook R55v (2007), which I purchased from work as a backup machine. From factory it as clearly OEM Vista installed (don't know which version), but when I purchased it two days ago, the company had installed XP vlk on it instead. I want to reformat it and have windows xp professional on it, and i don't want to be using the companies vlk.

Usually people want to prepare the oem files for a more recent os, than from purchase. I want to do the opposite. When new, it was oem vista. I want it to be oem xp instead, to keep it viable bare bones backup machine. Are there issue involved, and how should I proceed.

Should I backup the existing set-up first. And then how can I sort out the slp?

My sincere thanks and appreciation for those who will help a noob.

Bakersfield.

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Bakersfield, the only thing you really need to backup for the moment is the vlk key.
    I know you may not want to use it but it is a genuine one and your company would not have given you it If they didn't want you to have it :rolleyes:
    Tito has given you link to oembios.exe so once you run that we can go from there and hopefully you have BENQ (OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=B55014F0) result then no problem you can use OEM:SLP activation :biggrin: