OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows 7/8/10/11
    6.0.0 - Windows 10/11 - Up to 23H2
    5.0.5 - Windows 7/8/8.1/10/11 - Up to 22H2
    Purpose of this software
    • Create a recovery partition to allow easy and fast recovery to a working state of Windows 7/8
    • This is similar to the OEM recovery option used on brand name computers like DELL, HP or Lenovo.
    • This IS NOT a backup software. It should NOT be used to backup a full install of Windows 7/8 with your personnal files.

Target audience
    • OEM system manufacturer
    • Power user
    • Home technician that is bothered to always reinstall windows of friend's/familly computer

Support
    • Windows 10 is fully supported from original build to 20H2
    • Windows 7/8/8.1 is in end of life. It work's but I wont provide any more features, updates or support for it

Features
    • Create a complete image of the Windows installation
    • Official Microsoft method for system recovery with some modifications
    • Make use of built-in Windows 7/8/10/11 software but with added options in a custom menu
    • Bit-Locker is supported
    • Support for UEFI/GPT
    • USB recovery media creator in Windows 7/8/10
    • Support the creation of a custom "Refresh" image under Windows 8 (not with WIM Boot)
    • Support WIM Boot Under Windows 8.1 Update (GPT/UEFI and SSD required)
    • Appx instalation (after OOBE) for Windows 10/11 if wanted

Future development
    • Instruction video (maybe) - Replaced by online documentation in HTML DONE
    • New color for Windows 10 tools DONE
    • New icons for Windows 10 tools DONE
    • Default splash screen for the Windows 10 tools DONE
    • Update to file browser (all OS) DONE
    • Add password prompt in the Recovery Environment DONE
    • Add WIMBoot support for Windows 8.1 Update DONE
    • DVD Creator for Windows 7/8 DONE
    • Better installation instruction part in the installation manual DONE
    • New partition layout under Windows 8 to support removal of recovery partition once recovery media is created DONE
    • Full reinstallation (wipe data) in Windows 7 from the recovery tools DONE
    • Auto-Reboot after recovery process under Windows 7 DONE
    • Add splash image (off by defaut) for system manufactuer DONE
    • Support line-splitting for text in the custom GUI DONE
    • Find a way to be 100% sure that the recovery letter is hidden in Windows (SetupComplete.Cmd?) DONE

Live chat :
    Live chat support on OFTC
    Live chat support on Libera.Chat

Download link :
    Main site

Main program - Version 6.0.0
    Documentation - Version 6.0.0
    Required files - Version 6.0.0

Main program - Version 5.0.5
    Documentation - Version 5.0.5
    Required files - Version 5.0.5

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    :DWell this looks interesting. I'll give this a try in a VM for now. Thankyou very much!

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, it certainly does look interesting and it can come handy, will test it today

sebus

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Congratulations, this seems like a nice & useful initiative, gonna test it out whenever i have some free time (kinda busy the first 4/5 days, so probably somewhere next week)

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Cool, will certainly check it out, nice work ;)

6. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I hopes it will works for you!

I will, in a day or two, create a file wich will explain how everything works, which scripts deos what, etc. It may helps if you want to modify my package.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Just testing this, will let you know

When you use recovery media creator, you get a message box asking dvd or usb - its not in english?

8. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    It would be grat to have the folowing info...
    In creating the partition called "System" what is this used for, as understand "Recovery & Windows"
    Also whats does capture now do?

9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    My bad! I developped this tool in french first....
    New version (1.0.2) will ahve that corrected

The capture now option will delete current Windows boot entry, create a file named Capture.Now and reboot to the recovery tool.
    The will file will be created and the boot entry will be recreated.
    The computer will then shutdown, ready for delivery to a customer :D

10. MeDude

MeDude MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2010
    Pretty nice piece of software, Thanks !

( my first post, Yay! )

11. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks for the update, testing it today

12. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    ok some feedback, When you are asked to enter the Recovery Drive Letter during the install process you must enter the drive letter created not the "R" and also you must enter ":" after the drive letter, if not the install stops... so maybe update the instrutions to say "Enter the drive letter of the Recovery Drive created (NoT R) as x followed by :

Another good options would be to kill the process "wmpnetwk.exe befor running systprep as this process is known to cause fatal errors if running when sysprep is running.

again, when you then select capture - nothing happens, you have to manually re-start the computer and its starts in PE - French! then back to english with the message box stating "Capturing image......"
    one last thing, its a shame that the end user will see the Boot menu each time the pc starts. Recovery tool or windows 7
    not sure if you are able toget rid of this at all??

hope the feeback is fruitfull and how did you hide the startnet window too

13. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks for the comment.
    The next version will have the following fixed/added
    -English bootloader when using the Capture now option
    -New tool to write ISO file (64 bits for 64bits version)
    -File Browser both in 32 and 64 bits version
    -No need to enter drive letter when installing, will automount on the the right letter
    -Killing of the process "wmpnetwk.exe" when using Sysprep

For the boot laoder entry, the only option to completly hide it is to replace the recovery tool from Windows 7 by the one created with whis tools. But it then become harder to register the tool and does not works really well when the image has not been sysprep-ed with generalize option. So, for now, I don't really know waht to do. Maybe reduce the time it is shown for 2-3 secconds and just ask the user to move up-down arrow on the keyboard to stop at the bootmanager screen...

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok, I found a way to hide the boot tools. I had them to the "Tools" section (along with the Memory tester). So the user will have to press F8 to show the list then select the recovery tools.

15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Version 1.0.3 now available to DL :D

16. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Great work, will have a test today and feedback! ;)

17. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok tested all ok - Great work on your version 3.

Have found an issue with using the recovery DVD created, as when you boot and start to recover, it asks for the next Disk - but only one was created by the Recovery Media Creator???

and the only other thing that I could suggest is that the windows closes after you have created your DVD image / or USB image from the "Recovery Media Creator"...

18. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    When it asked for the next disk, does pressing OK fixed the problem and make it continue or it was "jammed" in a loop?

Version 1.0.4 is comming later tonight. Will ahve some issue fixed when using the SYSPREP under 64bits system (XML file where only for 32bits). The menu will automatically close upon completion.

Thanks for your input, it really help me to find bugs I didn't see!

19. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Version 1.0.4 is out :)
    I tried with the DVD creator, and for me it works. It does not ask for the next disk is the image fit on only one DVD.

20. Elite2k

Elite2k MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    just wanted to say thank you very very much for your brilliant work i have been looking for a easy method.. i am using a method atm.. which involves only 1 program which is free (easyBCD)
    my method is something i read about online but this is better but if u were wondering here is what i do
    -format any drive with 2 partitions 1 = windows 2= recovery partition (you make the recovery according to how much you estimate you will need to backup+windows 7 DVD)
    -copy entire DVD of windows 7 to recovery partition
    -on installed win partition install all win updates and drivers etc.. (once completed with above steps)
    -use a program called (easyBCD) there is a option in there called add entry use this to map your windows 7 dvd e.g C:= windows D:=Recovery (also contains the win 7 dvd) so d:\sources\boot.wim)
    so now when u save this and reboot you will be given two options either boot to win 7 or boot to win 7 DVD(Recovery)
    -use the windows7 built in recovery to make the recovery image by doing (start control panel -->system and security-->Backup your computer-->create a system image and it saves the image to recovery drive which was D: in my case here)
    -next when windows is messed up wont boot now everytime when your comp boots you can boot in to the second option that you added using easyBCD and boot in to windows 7 DVD and instead of install u select recovery console and it recovers the image you constructed earlier this works with 32bit and 64bit.. i have tried this method too many times anyone can do it

Merci Beaucoup