NTLite is here!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ricktendo64, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    You are right, no critics intended, only wanted to mention the earlier bird and the fact that there is a paid version now :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    £37.20 GBP for the Pro version? wtf, I could have bought 2 x Windows 8 licenses for that a couple years back, and still had change to get very very drunk

5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I liked Nlite back in the day, used Vlite for a few tweaks, and just tried NTLite. It is exactly as you would expect if you have used previous versions, but in the end its just a GUI for DISM. Even if you know DISM commands this may still be useful for some, but every time i tried to change tabs the program crashed for me. I'm personally not going to use it ever again unless the PC community dubs it the second coming of Christ.

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I personally would have went with a donate button.

7. boooggy

boooggy MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2010
    @halikus
    this program is not just a DISM interface. it uses DISM only for hotfixes, lang packs and driver integration. all removals are done by its own engine.

rick
    actually windows 7 x32 home basic edition almost all removed and still installable in vmware is 529.13 mb.
    my 8.1 x64 pro image is 1.10 gb. :biggrin:

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea exactly, if there was a donate button Id be much more likely to use it, being forced to pay just results in no sales from me

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm actually curious how well it can modify things without getting sfc scan errors.
    About all my experience allows in that department is using the install_wim_tweak program to unhide packages and then removing them.
    I'd bet MS made a lot of them dependent on other packages and such.

Anyhow, thx for the heads up. I wish you guys luck over there at nlite.com

10. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Hi guys, I'm the NTLite author and wanted to drop by, as I follow this forum daily anyway - love it.

MrMagic, I can't say much for the price just yet, same could be said for any game around that price point. It's your preference, I need money to develop it further, simple as that. If there is no demand, I'll adapt the price model, of course. I'm also interested in a free version's success, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

HALIKUS, it is not (just) a DISM GUI, as booggie pointed out, it uses DISM just in integration and cpanel-like feature config. DISM is no good for removals, year ago first alpha was using DISM to remove packages, in my hope it does it nicely... no go, it had tons of leftovers or removing too much. I needed more granularity, decided to rather start on a custom engine and over time cover all the issues. Of course it will be playing catch-up, but I really like what I do so let's try.
    So now the engine has the entire package overview, hid that page as it is quite ugly.

murphy78, a donation-model would be nice for our community of DIY tweakers, I've been using donations and ads since 2004 and nLite days. But it does not produce sustainable results, I cannot rely on it and focus 10 hours a day on the tool, I would need to get a "real" job.
    So let's see how this goes, if it picks up, then I can reduce the price and go on volume, but I seriously doubt that, it's too niche of a market.

Regarding SFC. I focused a lot on CBS being happy, allowing for hotfixing even post-removals in most cases. The tool warns you if you try to enter the components page.
    I am not hiding anything.
    Hotfixes being on my constant priority watch, I am yet to analyze if it's even possible to remove a lot and for SFC to be without prompts (or hacking).
    My long-term goal for now is a special mode to lock components per-package level, so that all left catalogs can be satisfied.

It's all about sorting priorities now, to see what you guys feel is most important to you.
    Of course there are different markets, some just want to rip everything out, but I am leaning more to the stability first, removals second - but removals are a must.

p.s.
    I hope I didn't offend anyone by trying the "pro" route. I seriously want this to succeed in order to have a great product in a year or two, to gain popularity like nLite had, enjoyed that very much, while parents were taking care of their little nuhi.

Thanks.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

You put your NTLite in the same category and quality as a top end PC game ? You spent the same millions of dollars and multiple years developing it as PC game companies do?

And you need money to continue developing it further? What do you need to buy that you don't already own considering you developed it without sales thus far?

Not saying you shouldn't make a few £ for your work, but get real, £37.20 for the same tweak tool that for the last 10 years or so have all been free?

12. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    MrMagic, you sound angry for some reason, feel free to tell me how am I insulting you.
    So let's try this again, I was saying if we compare the price of any software product to discounted Windows, it is not a fair comparison. And same can be said of some game you don't like, be it top game or not, they can put any price or spend any amount. Also those big successful games rely on volume, something I don't have nor will ever have, games everyone plays, Windows editing almost no one.

I developed it by spending my life savings which I earned programming while working for someone else. Been working on it full time for 15 months. It may not show on the surface or freshly released bugs, but internally it is a beast.

Your last argument is confusing me, so if everything similar is mediocre I am not supposed to aim higher. Well, there is nothing I can add to that, I disagree is all.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #15 MrMagic, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Yea right lmao

Few £ for a website, and a dodgy copy of VS

You're the one who compared it to a game, now suddenly you don't like that comparison ?

14. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    I'm not following, you sound distressed. If you want to continue personal insults feel free to send me a PM, I have no problem answering in detail, it's just too pathetic to see that in public.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  16. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Thanks, appreciated. Yeah I need one more post to be able to even reply to PMs. I'll see in the introductory forum later.

17. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #19 LiteOS, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Hey nuhi :) welcome to MDL

@MrMagic

I agree with ur points but i believe nuhi have his reasons
    nuhi is not greedy

However i would change markets paths to something else
    cos i duno how much ppls "like" lite'ed windows today

Im sure even on SSD it will help the performance
    but it need to be balanced with price / stability

nuhi made his choice to make elite lite app no compromise n put lots of efforts
    like apple choose, its risky market but after u will test it, i think u wont go back :)

18. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have big respect for nuhi :worthy: i understand completely how much time is needed for developing a new application and the cost to support yourself and your family when working on it. NTLite must have taken so much time, nuhi is a great developer, i would pay for a great piece of software and to also help the guy who developed it. Thanks nuhi :worthy::clap: