Need recommendation for virtualization ...

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by TEN, Apr 17, 2017.

1. TEN

TEN MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2008
    Hi,

i am planning to move my Windows Server installation to a virtual machine.

Now i need you recommendation to choose the right way, because there are a few things which should achieved.

First: The Virtualization Host Software should be availible on Windows, Linux and MacOS.
    Second: If, in the future, i have to move to another host-pc the guest-pc (Windows) should stay avtivated.
    Third: If the guest-bios can be modifyed to contain a SLIC-Table this would be very fine.
    Fourth: The physical devices connected to the physical USB-Ports should be used within the virtual-pc.

BTW: What tool would you recommend to transfer the the physical harddisk to a virtual one?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Greetings TEN

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I use VMWARE..

3. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    VMWare is well known
    Hyper-V is not bad but limited to Windows World
    Your visualization Software will provide a tool to create a copy of disk (P2V / Physical to Virtual)

4. TEN

TEN MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2008
    Thanks for answering !

As mentioned before, i am quite busy at the moment - so unfortunately the migration has to wait another 2 weeks before i can start :( .

But to be clear - do either VMWare (BTW: which Product/Version) or VirtualBox fulfill the point 2 - 4?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Greetings

TEN

5. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    My preferred desktop virtualization software VMware ones. Better 3D accellaration on guest OS (specially Windows guests).
    I have experiences with VMware Workstation, Vmware Fusion, Parallels for Mac, VirtualBox, Hyper-V on Linux, Mac, Windows.
    All your requirements are achievable on both VMware Workstation (Mac version Fusion) and Virtualbox, I think.
    Free or Non-Free ?