My HDD maybe dead?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tiger-1, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi well i have one old hdd Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 (400GB) that i ever used for make system image and ever works fine until that another day I need re-format to use for install Linux on it and instead of make use of diskpart and make correct process i in this moment was with big sleep so i simply deleted the partition i remember that Windows still warning me before! but i have deleted then now my hdd don't turn on more :weep: seem dead when i look on the hdd seem all normal but nothing maybe someone already have similar issue because now i don't have Windows and also Linux :weep: waiting for some help thanks :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yep, create new partition from disk management

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Tiger-1: Are you saying that you don't hear the drive spinning? If so, then it may be dead.

If it spinning, then do what JFKI said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    mechanical drives make noise...u dont hear anything most likely is dead:rolleyes:

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    OP has said nothing about it not making a noise or that it is not spinning, he is just saying it will not turn on anymore, by which I take it as it is not showing in explorer anymore, because it has no partition

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    That looks like it's what He's saying.

@Tiger-1: Could you please clarify?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sounds like bootsector was on different hdd and os on secondary.. .. time to make boot usb and repair mbr or bcd or switch bios boot hdd order if more than 1 hdd

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Windows wouldn't let you delete the OS partition from inside of Windows, so yea likely ^^ that, MBR was on the drive he deleted the partition from

Now he reboots, and PC can't find anything to boot from

Boot from Windows media > command prompt in repair utility and use fixmbr commands

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @all first thanks for help me :) but situation is when I make this n00b action simply deleting partition maybe my intention are earn time; big mistake :sneaky: and still I forget to tell what imediately after this command my poor and beloved hdd don't spinning more so what I don't understand is if when user make this "mistake also call as dumb action" in some manner damage some circuit on your mobo?:eek: however the one solution I see is go to some warehouse of old electronics and search for one mobo exactly the same of original and change it then plug on pws to see if poor hdd at least spinning and after only make use of diskpart, I understand a little with software/hardware but with this type of hardware still I dont have knowledge in resume I only want know if when user make this error can affect hardware :confused: anyway thanks for all I stay for here waiting some news :weep:

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Deleting a partition did not stop the drive spinning, whatever happened was coincidence to that

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @MrMagic no dude as I tell the hdd is only for external use (only for make system image) nothing related to O.S. my machine is running until now and works like a charm, but I don't have none system image to recover ok :(

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep MrMagic I agree I also think someting as pure coincidence ;)

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    External in a USB caddy?

Maybe the USB housing has died, that is common with external drives

You might be able to remove the HDD from the housing and put it directly in the machine as internal to test

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    ok is one good idea :g:MrMagic so after I can try still hdd is sata drive I can try several times until I find where is issue who know if I have some good luck if not only buy one new ;)

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    If the drive is still working inside your PC as internal, you could probably just buy another external housing for it and replace the bad part

I would put my bets on the USB side being bad rather than the HDD itself, they don't tend to just stop spinning like that :)

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @MrMagic well dude this is very strange :g:I already attempt all that I know including plug hdd with another psu but nothing hdd don't spinning more probally dead ;) thanks for the help anyway :)

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea very strange, usually drives die in different ways, clicking etc, not just stop spinning

Time for a new drive then :)