Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. woarke

woarke MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2015
    #41 woarke, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Thank you woarke, looks like the QT is parsing correctly and picked up on HP in #1.:thumbsup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #43 mxman2k, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    updated info

Just a note to say that a updated version of the project will be available soon ;), doing some extra testing then will be compiling it all ready for uploading :D

The main code is the same, just streamlined the cleanup process and made it more 'modular' for ease of any additional features in the future as the Windows 10 OS changes I can adapt the project faster.

A BIG thanks to BALTAGY :worthy: for his help testing almost as many revisions as I have lol.

Feature added:

+ Remove defaultuser0 if found and also corrected the registry so that the Winver.exe screen now shows the username instead of defaultuser0.

- A feature NOT active is a rename of the system drive to the name of the OS installed such as Windows_10_Pro. As some OEM's name the drive I added this in but for now it is not active so the drive name is blank as it was before, so is a 'possible' add-on feature if you would like it added.

Mx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Hi guys, whats "#12 BIOS MODE"? Seems to be always on LEGACY.
    I'm assuming it should be listing your install type, ie UEFI. A HP with win8 pro then upgraded to 10 pro would be in UEFI mode...
    Perhaps I'll get a chance tomorrow to test it myself!!!

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #45 mxman2k, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    (OP)
    Good question!

Hopefully here is the answer :) (or at least how the Query Tool works).

#12 BIOS MODE is checked against a parsed output of Msinfo32.exe, as most reports show they are using MBR for HDD partition information it will be classed as Legacy. Plus CSM must of been set to legacy non Win8/10, or the motherboard has a non UEFI bios.

If they are using UEFI mode and CSM set to Win8/10 only, then it should display [GPT-Secured Boot Enabled] or [GPT-Secured Boot Disabled] depending if secure boot is on/off.

This is only for the Query Tool display output and the information is not used in the Project itself at the moment.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    This would be a nice nice feature indeed. :clap:

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    @Mr.X this has been added :) works nice, took a while and a few attempts [ 7 !! ] to get it to play nicely with the project script but perseverance paid off lol.

Knew that script would come in handy one day, saves doing it manually. :p plus if M$ finally fix that the project just ignores the removal section.

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #48 mxman2k, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    The moment you all been waiting for...... :p

The updated Project is now available for download, see download link in first OP. Please read the change log for details.

Windows 10 users note you are no longer forced logged out before the 'Lets Start...' message, this will have to be done manually, from feedback it seems RS1 can do odd things if the setup has not fully completed first and force logged out, like apps and start menu glitches.

I too noticed this when using VM's slowed down to mimic a slower type of PC so to prevent any problems the log out is now up to you to do when you are ready.

Please do this when you are as this allows the user pic and log on background to be fully active. I had wrote a timed logout script that would pop up once the desktop appeared to inform you of the automatic log off, but RS1 seemed to ignore this and forced logged out anyway!

Vista/7/8.x is not affected.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Feedback, poor in contents but reassuring for you LOL

VMware only, Windows 10 Home Single Language and Enterprise 2016 LTSB :tasty::cool:

10. woarke

woarke MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2015
    #50 woarke, Oct 30, 2016
  11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    @woarke

I see the MSDM key was installed yet i am guessing the 'key' was originally for home/core (win8.x/10) or possibly not online in time for project to check activation?

For User-40.png, yes for Win10 that is correct, because the OS up scales to that 480x480 size if your picture is smaller than that size. So the files used in the project are bigger size/dimensions to match the OS's new user pic style or they look 'grainy'.

The original png files are smaller because they are simple vector type pictures and have more compressible data plus being 40x40 originally.

I have not touched the OEM's folder pictures - mainly because i'm not very good with images lol.

By looking at the build version was this a 'editied' ISO?, ie one with updates integrated?

As it is known sometimes modified ISO's can cause failures within the project, hence probably why the user-32/48/192 have failed to be replaced.

I ask because the project was designed/tested to fully work with baseline Win 10 ISO's ie 14393.0.

defaultuser0 not shown, wonder if M$ have finally fixed that with an update :g:

But as long as it worked that is good to know :)

12. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    #52 BALTAGY, Oct 30, 2016
  13. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    I was about to ask about defaultuser0 as well lol

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #54 mxman2k, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    (OP)
    As they say, a picture says a 1000 words lol. -- user-40 is replaced by USER810.bmp which is the advanced logon user pic, i think.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #55 mxman2k, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    (OP)
    As i had a few hours spare yesterday i set about converting all the USER810.bmp files to png format within the OEM's folder, in doing so, it made noticeably smaller file sizes compared with BMP type.

However, when re-compressing the OEM's.7z, even with ultra compression, the archive was ~4mb bigger (making ~32mb instead of 28mb). :eek:

Upon investigation because the png format seems to be highly compressed, the files can not be compressed further, due to way archive programs work it increased the final zipped file!

So instead of making the folder bigger (compressed), thereby making the project download larger, i have left it as it was.

Windows 8.x/10 uses the renamed bmp to png and not cause any problems - if m$ changes this in the future i have adapted the project to compensate to use USER810.png if it is available or use the bmp version.

Also fixed the odd spelling mistakes that crept in, Editon is now Edition.

This will all be added for the next project update when the time comes to make a new version.

For now while it is all working as it should, (fingers crossed), the current downloadable project is unchanged.

16. woarke

woarke MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2015
    You are guessing right - PC originally has Win10 Home license but I'm using Pro with Digital Entitlement

About OS Build Version: Thanks for pointing out. A cumulative update was integrated. Will test again if user picture (32/48/192) replacement still fail without touching the iso. However I didn't notice any problem up to now.

About defaultuser0: I can confirm it is not under c:\users.

@Baltagy: I didn't want to use the 40x40 pic - was only an example for mxman2k.

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    No worries woarke, i was just wondering, as long as everything looks and works ok.

On windows 10 the failed pics *should* not cause any problems for the main user as they will just be using the default ones within Windows.

18. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
  19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  20. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Nono by changing that regedit key in the method I described above I did not delete anything during OOBE. Microsoft itself admitted that they "forgot" to set that key. By adding it I just give to Windows the permission to get rid of defaultuser0 automatically after the first reboot after Windows finishes the setup so it doesn't delete anything until the setup finishes.

By just adding that one key after the first reboot it deletes the folder within USERS, the registry keys related to defaultuser0 inside the ProfileList and also it deletes it inside "net user". Basically Windows is allowed to do the self clean that it should do in the first place but it cannot do because a key is missing for some reason in this release.

But you're right when you talk about the name shown in Winver, that key doesn't fix that.

If you want to try it I'd be happy, but if you're fine with your method I'm happy anyway because this project is amazing anyway :worthy: