MDL on mobile devices

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ancestor(v), Oct 5, 2010.

?

Which of the following options applies to you?

1. Yes, a mobile theme (style) would be nice.

65 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. No thanks, not needed, I don't use mobile devices for browsing the MDL forum.

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. I'm already using my mobile device and the current style works fine.

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. I'm already browsing MDL mobile but a style for this would be better.

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GrootWitBaas

GrootWitBaas MDL Novice

May 30, 2010
    There are a few applications on mobile devices. I use mostly TapaTalk on the iPhone, but there are more. From my understanding it is fairly easy to implement on a site. I do not know what others use, maybe a good idea to see what is used by most members.

3. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2010
    Speaking for myself, I would love to have this site all wodgeted up on my galaxy S!

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    On Blackberry 8520, everything is fine.....

5. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    nokia e 71...
    I browse..
    Everythings ok....
    Hope there would a mobile site for mdl....

6. X-MEN

X-MEN MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    everything works fine..in LG smartphone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Vbulletin has announced further changes regarding style variables at version 4.1
    This means you have to encounter style compatibility issues again after 4.1 is released. At 4.0.8 it was the same!

We have to wait until then...and then we can think about..all styles need to be updated a second time after 4.1 is finally released..

8. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    @Yen

But that wouldn't affect the TapaTalk plugin? Considering that the TapaTalk client works independently from the browser.

9. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Basically, we have 4 Operating systems for smart phone namely iPhone (Apple), Android (Google), Blackberry (RIM) and Nokia (Symbian). In USA, basically only the first 3 and unfortunately, Nokia is slipping very fast in the smart phone area.
    I have an Android phone HTC 4G phone and I am very impressed with it. iPhone was my first choice but exclusivity with ATT has a bad taste to my my mouth. Although Apple has opened up to let Verizon selling iPhone 4G or 3G, it was too late for me. Besides, for personal reason Verizon is not an option to me even if they are the only company left in this world, I will never sign up with Verizon ever. Which system to support? MDL head ache, LOL??

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The main reasons why we don't go for it are:
    The contents of MDL ;)
    Free version spamms at every post like: Sent from my blahblah device using Tapatalk...

I'm using the browser....no problem so far.

11. seniorgeek1969

seniorgeek1969 MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Unless i'm doing something wrong my blackberry curve (8510) always gives a page too large error

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I guess we need to think about that again. On my Samsung Galaxy S I use the internal browser and it works fast and well.(wlan). What about another browser? Miren browser is a good Android browser.
    But I guess not before my break plz have a look at my sig...:)

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Since the latest vbulletin update it has now included a default mobile style. To be chosen at the style selector at the bottom left of the site.
    Not tested yet if it is useful, though.

14. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I use the stock Froyo 2.2 browser, also Miren sometimes. The site displays very well imho . The chat box is glitchy though, no ability to scroll through the entries .

I've tried the vbulletin mobile style and would say it needs a great deal of tweaking , it displays very poorly. I have an HTC desire HD, 4.2 inch screen . Even so, the display is bunched up. Not good imho.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Vbulletin has added the mobile style to announce a new feature, nothing more. It would have been a miracle if they had released something useful at first release.

I have to agree. Froyo stock browser displays very well, so I do not make an effort to tweak the mobile style until it's useful, it's vbulletin's job.
    What about chat box full?
    I haven't tried the box on android.

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The same issue with chat box full, no ability to scroll.

17. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    It looks like crap in Opera Mobile because it (the browser) does not apply the styles correctly, for example: I have to scroll down all the smileys because they're not hidden like they should :p.

Anyone else having problems with Opera?

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Noop, Im not!!!!