Mac may no longer be more secure than Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Katzenfreund, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    various sites have suggested that windows defender's protection doesn't match the standards. Though i agree that win10 is more secure.
    what are your thoughts on windows defender?

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Windows Defender indeed gets low ratings in comparative AV tests. You’d be (even) more secure with a free third party product, such as AVIRA, AVAST or AVG.

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Recommend to be cautious here :hmm:.

The main entry point for malicious stuff is the browser. Either a site attacks (even via hijacked commercials) or the user downloads a codec.exe since it was recommended for install, to view an uploaded HD video :cool2:.

Since most 3rd party AVs tend to install very invasive link checker and cut other holes in secured https, i would never ever recommend to install the ones you mentioned.

Fortify the browser and check carefully what you allow to install. Then Defender is quite sufficient.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I was quite okay with defender as my default av but surprisingly antimalware service was a major resource hog, i won a eset multi device security giveaway with 1 year license at mdl and it consumes far less memory than defender, i look forward to going back to defender after my eset's license expire hoping that it wouldn't consume that much memory then or else i would have to install avast o_O

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Can't complain here. Is mostly about 100 MB and only increases in case of scans. First thing i always do is to batch-exclude all my drives but c:. I scan my files manually with virustotal and don't need Realtime Protection to watch every move on those drives. Additionally all Cloud related is deactivated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    SORRY FOR BEING OFF TOPIC
    1.Your signature shows you are on 14393.726
    mine shows 14393.693 but still it doesn't shows me any updates, y so?
    2. How do i get notifications of new replies on threads i have replied on mdl??

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. Should be kb3216755 which was pre-release then got added to the cataloge, but not officially promoted by WU so far. Could change tomorrow.

#2. Subscribe to the thread and set to notice via control panel.

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Russia has a different philosophy on hacking / reverse engineering. They actually teach it in their schools.
    I respect that. You should give your children -every- advantage possible.

And no. MAC users will probably not be deterred at all.

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because most of Mac users I came across are totally ignorant & expect world to bow to them because they have money to buy Apple hardware (which therefore must be "safe & sound")
    Yet in reality they know nothing

sebus

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@sebus: LOL Yup! :thumbsup:

13. olmo47

olmo47 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    was matter of time, I think still a little better than Windows (my opinion and user)

14. olmo47

olmo47 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    Wow....I think "ignorant or not" (all) should respect, people preferences? I use to be windows user for years, I move to mac do to 'graphics' and I use both systems in my laptop. I won't put you down for being pompous.! however you have the right to chose your OS.

Kind Regards

15. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #18 hearywarlot, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Doesn't matter what you run, as long as you blindly run random programs under a account that holds access to important things, it could still destroy all your files and ruin your day.
    Though Linux and Mac users have the plus that they are accustomed to get their software through the repository and have to manually set downloads to executable, users can still fall for phishing.

Always make back-ups, install security updates, don't screw up your firewall and think twice (or thrice) before downloading certain programs.
    Also running Mandatory Access Control software help restrict programs what can be accessed.

16. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    WELL, My idea was ALWAYS BACKUP your stuff. Never know!

17. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Remember that when you backup, you do not leave the backup attached to the same system it came from or make sure your user account has no access to it.
    If your system becomes infected with ransomware, it will most likely destroy anything valuable on the backup device if it has access.

Also if the backup is on the same drive (different partition, etc), if one day the HDD begins to slowly die, it will take the backup with it.
    So always backup to a different HDD, maybe even from USB HDD or NAS.