Implement product key into bios MSDM table of VMware

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by triggat, Aug 4, 2013.

1. randymcnally

randymcnally MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I had a go and now have made a rom file. My vm boots ok now and as far as i can tell i'm no longer getting 1058 errors...

2. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Is there any way to mod the EFI bios of VMWARE Workstation 10 to include the MSDM table for Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard in EFI mode? :confused:

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    in the same boat (self imposed tech saavy), but i fail to understand the windows
    8/8.1 activation process itself completely.

i been trying to port coreboot to my brand new laptops, but the slic is killing me.

once i port coreboot, i will assume most users will install linux, but what if the
    user opts M$?

i hope i am able to explain it more properly in the following....

in the coreboot channel i was hushed, when i said NO M$ IN COREBOOT.
    reason they believe in freedom and a user opts M$ its his/her individual right, and
    i need to respect it. well said point....

fine with that, but while reading more about seabios i find slic is more or less
    related to acpi....

so it means i can include slic in the acpi and i can mod it up. But i have very
    limited technical knowledge on slic, how to proceed?

if it can be done on vmware, then it for sure can be done in seabios. anyone
    have info/knowledge on how to proceed?

to the best of my knowledge UEFI is more or less a prison and the coding style
    is a burden/overkill on the whole system.

When things can be simplified from hw init to boot block to blah blah! UEFI
    makes things more complicated beyond imagination.

TIA!

thanks!
    -paul

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. egawrangler

egawrangler MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    Care to re-up please? THX!! I don't know about anyone else but that URL looks down to me...

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Works fine, use IE & just download

8. egawrangler

egawrangler MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    Correct, my bad...ISP must be blocking the URL @ home.

So this is the 361H BIOS, I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the same process with the 385D BIOS?

9. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Although you don't seem to need the MSDM, it would be great if someone (like Yen:)) would create a 385D and 386D pre-msdm'd bios for us to play with. It's a shame the public one is based on an old version.

I'm all for DIY by the way but adding new tables is a bit beyond me..

edit: You can google the 7z archive shown in the screenshot in post 191 and use Yen's instructions in #104 to change the bogus key in that archive to a valid one. That will give you a working 385D with most of the heavy lifting already done for you. 386D would be nice still though for ESXi :)

10. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    I am trying this for the first time but I do not know what .vmx file to edit...I have one under C:program files (x86)\VMware\workstation\vmware-vmx.exe and a bunch of .vmx file for windows 8 in my documents where the newly created VMware file are. What is the exact name of the file I need to edit to include the .rom? I am a little confused on this last step. Thanks in advance. :)

Update: I found the file to edit and low and behold my windows 10 tech. preview is activated in VMware using win 8.x dummy oem-dm key.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yes for now, expect that to change at RTM, currently TP uses 8.x keys.

12. NiteCrew

NiteCrew MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    Hi all,

I would like to learn how to add MSDM table to untouch VM workstation 11 6006 file (bios). I was able to add both SLP and SLIC. But from reading this thread, it might not be simple for those with limited knowledge. Unless i'm missing something.

Thanks

13. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Hi guys, I just saw a mention of acpi.addtable.filename in vmx settings, hxxp://daveparsons.net/blog/2014/04/20/replace-acpi-tables-in-vmware-bios/
    Does that thing works? Seems like a neat solution for all the bios editing.

Tried quick searching, found nothing.
    I would try it myself if I had an ACPI MSDM table laying around. Maybe RWEverything can extract one from another EFI binary?
    Thanks.

14. bigfoot15

bigfoot15 MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Just extract it from the bios posted above your post

15. nuhi

nuhi MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    It works. ACPI tables can be added to VMWare dynamically with acpi.addtable.filename.
    Installed non-EFI machine, used bigfoot15's ROM from above, saved MSDM table via RWEverything.
    Used that BIN in EFI machine to add the table.

Thanks, will report if something doesn't work as expected, for now in UEFI managed to see the inserted MSDM ACPI table.

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is Donk - the author of Unlocker from Insanelymac (he does know his stuff!)

It definitely works, and way more intelligent way to get SLIC in VM

sebus

17. azlvda

azlvda MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    image googling "rw everything msdm table" and hex editor
    install ... activated :clap: