[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joaofelipecds

joaofelipecds MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2017
    Enthousiast. I used the steps to activate a Windows 10 Pro build 1607 permanently.
    But now i downloaded a new ISO with the build 1703 (creator's update).
    Do i have to do all the steps again? Generate another ticket?
    Or can i just clean install this new ISO and it'll get activated only by being online?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The established HWID/Digital License is valid for the lifetime of the hardware, at reinstall just skip any questions for keys.

3. joaofelipecds

joaofelipecds MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2017
    You relieved me! Thank you very much man!

4. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    This is an interesting Mix :) KMS (8.1) > (10) MAK > DL .. ha ha!

5. TheMightyChuck

TheMightyChuck MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Not working on Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.0).

I am getting 0x803F7001 error when activating.

Followed the instructions very carefully. I used Windows 7 x64 SP1 and Windows Loader 2.2.2. :( o_O

6. TheMightyChuck

Oct 18, 2013
    #1127 TheMightyChuck, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    ^

That's odd. I actually used VMware to simulate the activation process. I think we have the same process (W7 Daz activated to W10 Pro).

Here's what I did (I am currently on Windows 10 x64 VL. Planning to have a digital license since VLSC updates are meh). Let me know if I did something wrong:

1. Run Windows 7 x64 (X17-59186) on VMware.
    2. Activate the W7 using Windows Loader 2.2.2.
    3. Restarted my PC. After booting, checked the genuine status online. Looks good.
    4. Copied the gatherosstate.exe from Windows 10 Pro x64 using TechBench by WZT and generate GenuineTicket.xml. Saved it elsewhere.
    5. Install Windows 10 Pro x64 from same activated Windows 7 using VMware also (VMware-ception :D). By this time, internet is disconnected.
    6. Skipped the license key, selected Philippines instead of US/UK. Blah, blah, blah. After the first boot, I restarted my PC. Still disconnected from the internet.
    7. After Windows 10 Pro boots, copied the GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\. Not sure if this is okay since GenuineTicket.xml should be in GenuineTicket folder. But will try again next time.
    8. Restated my PC. After booting, I connect my PC to internet. Nada. Zilt. Zero. Not activated.

I will try again later this day if not putting the GenuineTicket.xml to the GenuineTicket folder is causing the inactivation.

===========

UPDATE:

Windows is activated with a digital license! That GenuineTicket folder seems to be the culprit.

Thanks for the tips! :clap:

===========

Additional dilemma:

I am now planning to reformat my Drive C to install the same Windows 10 Pro I downloaded using TechBench by WZT. Question, can I use the GenuineTicket.xml I generated from VMwared Windows 7 to activate my actual Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC? Not sure if that will be compatible. As much as possible I don't want to go through that hassle again. I want to install the W10Pro straight from my PC.

Hope someone can chime in.

===========

UPDATE 2:

It does not work. I guess I really have to install Windows 7 first to my PC. Oh well.

7. TheMightyChuck

Oct 18, 2013
    Welp. Almost gave up when I had to install-reinstall Windows 7 and Windows 10 Pro alternatively just to activate the latter for almost 4 times! :eek:

So, what did I learn?

After installing and activating Windows 7 in my PC, I keep forgetting to update the drivers of my motherboard (I am using a Gigabyte H97M-D3H, if anyone cares). I keep generating the GenuineTicket from the gatherosstate.exe of W10Pro without updated drivers. That's the reason I can't activate Windows 10 Pro.

After almost installing Windows 7 for 4 times, I finally downloaded from the manufacturer's website the drivers for Windows 7 x64. Everything from the CPU, to LAN, to whatnots. After installing the drivers, I restarted. After booting, I checked for any updates. Damn, almost 800mb update? Is this necessary?! I downloaded it anyway. I am desperate to activate my Windows 10 Pro that badly!

After installing the update, restarted. After booting, I checked again. Hmm, looks good now. Checked my activation online. All good. I shutted down my PC. Don't ask why. Then I turned it on again. This time, I generate the GenuineTicket.xml from gatherosstate.exe from the copy of my Windows 10 Pro. Saved it to my local drive (separate partition, duh).

Disconnect from the internet.
    Re-install Windows 10 Pro. After booting, I restarted.
    After boot, I copied the GenuineTicket.xml to the GenuineTicket folder (I learned my lesson). Restart again.
    After boot, connected from the internet.
    Checked my activation.
    BOOM. Windows is activated with a digital licence (license? come on!) linked to your Microsoft account.

Finally. :clap:

TL;DR: After installing Windows 7, please update your drivers! If possible, check for online updates. I think this is not necessary (checking online updates) but can be helpful before generating the ticket.

The instruction on the first page says it already. I'm just too stupid to ignore it. :p

Sorry for the rather long post. :D

P.S. I can't post any picture of my activated PC. I need 20 posts. Ugh.

8. mrjayviper

mrjayviper MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2013
    2 questions please

1. Would this work for OEM? Got a license key (being transferred to my desktop) for Windows 7 pro from my HP laptop. HP laptop will be using Windows 10 Enterprise provided by work.

2. Seems to me this skips the assisted technology upgrade path?

Thank you so much for providing the guide and answering my questions.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #1130 Enthousiast, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    This works for all activated Win 7 SP1 (eligible for HWID), it is meant for people who don't want to go thru the whole upgrade process and want to have a legit HWID.

10. RB2

RB2 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2016
    #1131 RB2, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    A friend has a Win 7 system w/ removewat(but he didnt have SP1, because there was a few hacks done by the system builder, so updates were turned off after initial install), I didnt want to mess with his hard drive and information, so we put it aside.

Started with fresh HD, put Win 7 on w/ an Ebay Win 7 key(from GB.Great Brittan, cost appx. $5, which presumably lasts maybe 3 months (advertised as lifetime though).
    Used Heidoc ISO downloader for the ISO Win 7.
    All good and registered.

Went to the Windows 10 download page, "cant insert link here"(new B)
    clicked "Download Tool Now",.....downloaded, installed, voila a registered Win10 pro installed over/upgraded
    from a cheapie Win 7 key. As the IT media correctly reports, you can still do a free upgrade with a valid Win7/8 system.

Did fresh install of Win 10 on top of that: all good!

Didnt use KMS, RemoveWat or Assistive Technologies download.
    But would have as part of the strategy if my 1st choice failed.

A lot less worry over whether KMS, RemoveWat etc will currently work with that weeks version of Win 10 installation to get registered.

All good!, less worry, cost $5

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's meant for Activated win 7 SP1 ((emulated by daz) oem:slp), not hacked/crippled by RemoveWAT.

12. mrjayviper

mrjayviper MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2013
    I supposed I need to sign in to my hotmail acct (on both Windows 7 and 10 or just on 10?) during setup so I can have a digital copy of the license? Thanks a lot!

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, you don't need to sign in with anything. Just install Win 7 SP1 Ultimate (for 10 pro) or Home Premium (for 10 Home) and get it activated, either official or by daz windows loader. And follow the instructions by yen.

14. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Worked ok for a laptop that came with win 8.1. Thanks for providing this method

15. avdjdqrd

avdjdqrd MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2017
    Hello,

After reading a lot of threads I have some questions I cant solve by myself.

I want to have Win10, so I'm going to use the thread method. Is a new pc

My computer have a Kaby Lake processor and the Bios on UEFI, can I install win7 and use Daz Loader? or I need to change to Legacy? if I change to Legacy can I come back to UEFI at some point?

The other thing is the drivers installation, the way is to install drivers after win7 installation, is there a method to do that? and as I understood there are only the drivers no need of updates?

Thank you very much for the help

16. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    - Install Windows 7 in legacy mode, activate with daz loader, iInstall drivers (optional but recommended), create/save ticket, then install 10 in UEFI without internet, put ticket in correct folder and reboot, it should activate when connected to the internet.

17. avdjdqrd

avdjdqrd MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you for the answer :)

I also read that I have to format the HDD, the HDD is a new one, I need to do something?
    I'm going to have 2 HDDs is better to do al this thing with only one connected, and when I have win10 install the new one?
    One is an SSD and the other HDD what is preferable to use?

What I have to do to install drivers? going to the motherboard manufacturer and download it? or there is an option in windows to do that?

Thank you again for the help

18. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 2 HDDs, but to avoid messing up you can do it with only the SSD connected, When starting Windows 7/10 installations, you can delete all the partitions (if any) and then choose the unformatted drive so Windows partitions/formats it for you. And yes, you have to manually download the drivers from the manufacturer, unless the motherboard has an installation CD with Wiindows 7 drivers.

19. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Why install windows 7 drivers :confused: there's no need for that.