[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martessi

martessi MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Is this still working? I cannot for the life of me get it to work and I've followed this process numerous times in the past.

2. oneLess

oneLess MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2013
    seven dazzed + genuine ticket
    today yes.

c

3. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #1103 johnye_pt, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes it is, I just upgraded a Sony Vaio which originally came with Vista Business.
    - Clean install of Windows 7 Pro, activated with Windows Loader
    - Created and saved Genuine Ticket to flash drive (I use a batch to do that!)
    - Clean install of Windows 10 Pro without Internet access
    - Copied Genuine Ticket and rebooted (same batch as above :D )
    - Connect Windows 10 to internet, activation happened in seconds.

If you want the batch, here it is:
    Code:
    @echo off

rem ##### REQUESTING ADMIN PRIVILEGES ##########################################

>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
      echo.
      echo.                    _______________________________
      echo.                   |                               |
      echo.                   |  REQUESTING ADMIN PRIVILEGES  |
      echo.                   |_______________________________|
      goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    set params = %*:"=""
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B

:gotAdmin
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"

rem ##### DETECT WINDOWS VERSION ###############################################

cls
    echo.

if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="x86" set batch_cpu=x86
    if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="AMD64" set batch_cpu=x64
    if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="IA64" set batch_cpu=x64

ver | findstr /i " 6\.1\.7601" > nul
    IF "%ERRORLEVEL%" EQU "0" goto :win7sp1
    ver | findstr /i " 6\.3\." > nul
    IF "%ERRORLEVEL%" EQU "0" goto :win81
    ver | findstr /i " 10\.0\." > nul
    IF "%ERRORLEVEL%" EQU "0" goto :win10

echo This batch only works in Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
    goto :finish

rem ##### CREATE GENUINETICKET.XML #############################################

:win7sp1
    :win81
    color 1F
    echo Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 detected.
    set /p answer=Create GenuineTicket.xml (y/n)? 
    echo.

if /i not "%answer%"=="y" goto :finish
    if exist "%~dp0\GenuineTicket.xml" del /q "%~dp0\GenuineTicket.xml"
    "%~dp0\gatherosstate_%batch_cpu%.exe"
    if not exist "%~dp0\GenuineTicket.xml" (
      color 4F
      echo GenuineTicket.xml not created, check if Windows is correctly activated.
    ) else (
      color 2F
      dir "%~dp0\GenuineTicket.xml" | find /i "genuineticket.xml"
    )
    goto :finish

rem ##### ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 ##################################################

:win10
    color 1F
    echo Windows 10 detected.
    set /p answer=Copy GenuineTicket.xml and restart (y/n)? 

if /i not "%answer%"=="y" goto :finish
    copy /y "%~dp0\GenuineTicket.xml" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket
    shutdown.exe -r -t 5

:finish
    pause

It requires gatherosstate_x64.exe and gatherosstate_x86.exe in the same folder, just copy it from Windows 10 DVD.

4. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #1104 crashnburn, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Interesting to see this batch file. Does it take care of all the steps (except the first one) that you listed?
    Where are you running the Batch file from.. ? (Location/ path) (Internal drive/ External USB) or it wont matter?

5. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I run it from a flash drive on Windows 7/8.1 to create the the ticket, then I run it again on Windows 10 to copy it back and reboot. In that same flash drive I have a (beta) batch to silently install programs/tweaks on Windows XP/Vista/7/8.x/10, but that one is still in development :D

6. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    So even if an MDL provided KMS (e.g. MTK) activated 8.1 machine (non genuine 8.x) is there something like it will go through a Full Win 10 upgrade and Activate (to genuine?) via MS (Digital License/ Entitlement) or via KMS?

7. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Activate your Windows 8.1 via MTK and make an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 TH2. You should get a HWID.

8. AlexRuiz

AlexRuiz MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I posted this on the main thread for windows 10 1703 15063 "Creator's update" but I am afraid it is less relevant there.
    I am having some activation issues that are strange when deploying images for windows 10 15063

If doing an in-place upgrade of a windows 10 install in a system that already had a digital license, it will activate fine.
    If doing a clean install in a system that already had a digital license, it will activate fine.

However, if deploying from an image to a system that already had a digital license, it will NOT activate.
    Base windows install created and tweaked in a system that already had a digital license where it activated fine. Image is created from this install. Then, deploying said image to a different system that already had a digital license, it will not activate in the new system
    The hardware is identical, so the image deployment is the faster route of configuration.
    When trying to run the activation troubleshooter in the new PC, I get the message "A digital license for windows 10 home has been found for this system running windows 10 home. Install windows 10 home to activate" :confused::rolleyes:

No sysprep applied to the windows install before creating the image, and the image is being created using Norton Ghost 11.5
    I have done it this way a lot of times in previous win10 builds (1511 and 1607) and it took a reboot at most for an image deployed in a new system to pick the activation.

Thoughts?

Mods: If the post needs to be moved to a different thread, feel free to do so.

9. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    As of March 31st, 2017, this still works flawlessly. Tested on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

10. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Still Upgrade to Creates Update Free

Hi,
    Ive Been Ask The Question Below

Can a user who as Windows 7 OEM (genuine) on their laptop still upgrade to Windows 10 build 15063 Once release & be activated & would it also be a free upgrade I know the offer ended last july but can it still be acheived as I read somewhere on mdl that there was a way

Thanks
    Technoman

If this is the wrong place for this then please remove

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Install 7SP1 in a vm, activate by DAZ' windows loader and upgrade or try the genuineticket.xml trick, and you'll know.

12. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    You've got 4 options:
    - Install Win7 in a VM, activate with Daz Loader and attempt an upgrade as indicated above;
    - Backup your Windows 7 and attempt an upgrade with DVD or genuineticket.xml + clean install;
    - Wait for someone to confirm here if the update still works with Creators Update (pull up a chair, it may take a while).
    - Ask me to go there and do it for you, but you'll have to pay for my plane tickets + hotel :D

13. pedrus

pedrus MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2015
    Hi, i have a question and hope someone is able to help me: Is it possible to use GenuineTicket.xml on a 1+ year old Win 10 Pro that is currently activated via MS Toolkit (AutoKMS)?

The thing is i normally upgraded from MSDNAA Windows 7 Pro to 10 the first time when it came out, then the same week 3 new hard drives failed (bad luck...) and i wasn't in mood to go through the long upgrade process, said screw it and just installed 10 with AutoKMS; installing 10 with 7 key didn't work too. I didn't use a MS Account back then, so the first activation got lost...

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you once established a HWID for the hardware and it didn't change (hdd shouldn't matter), the HWID should still be valid. You should only have to change the productkey to the generic one for your windows edition, to get the HWID activation back.

15. pedrus

pedrus MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2015
    Thank you, i uninstalled AutoKMS, replaced my key with the Win7 one (generic 3V66T didn't work) and now it works.

16. joaofelipecds

joaofelipecds MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2017
    I have a doubt.
    I used gatherosstate.exe in a Windows 10 14393 ISO, followed all the steps and activated it permanently.
    Now i want to do a clean install with Windows 10 15063 ISO. Do i have to use gatherosstate.exe to get GenuineTicket.xml and place in the new version of the windows? Or i have just to do the clean installation connected in the internet?

17. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    ok, now i have a trick sitution...

some of my client call me asking for support and afterall he ended up asking me to upgrade to win 10 creators update. he had win 10 (first rtm release) with kms activation on it.

I did a clean install of win10cu and, for fun, tried the ticket thing on it. I activated the installation using kms, checked the activation status, let the windows with the status teling its activated opened, unpluged the ethernet cable, generated the ticket, copied it to the folder needed, rebooted the pc, unninstaled/removed kms activation, activated ethernet and... WTF!!! windows 10 creators update is ACTIVATED by hardware enablement!!! wtf is going on?

Please, if anyone could, please try it in a vm to see if that sh$t really works or if it was somekind of feaking thing I did but didnt pay attention..

Im going to try it with a fresh install in a vm on virtualbox, but this could take sometime as im working like hell and have no time for now.. please, someone test it as I explained to see how things goes...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He probably already had a HWID for that hardware and you did a lot of unneeded stuff to get to it :D