How to remove "uninstallable"' registered files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Georgey, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    I upgraded to Office 2016 when it was released but still receive updates for Office 2013. The old version is not listed among the installed programs nor is anything relating to it in the Office installation folder. I've tried many uninstallers including MS own Office remover in vain.

Finally I checked the registry and found several Office entries, both 2013 and 2016, marked "uninstallable". This when apparently no Office program was installed at all. Can I just delete these "uninstallable" keys, and then run MS Office remover? Would it not cause any harm or instability in my system? If not, how to get rid of everything related to any Office version and reinstall the latest on blank?

Thanks a lot.

2. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    #3 Georgey, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    (OP)
    I've tried your option 3, I referred to it as 'MS own Office remover'.
    Office 2013 is not listed by the program in your other link.
    Hence I'm going to remove the blocking keys manually. Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I delete the line 'Uninstallable' only, not the whole entry, right?

3. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    #5 Georgey, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    (OP)
    After this I checked for updates and nothing was shown for Office 2013.
    Thank you very much!

4. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    Something is still not right with Office. After 2013 updates were averted I received 36 important updates for 2016. Alright, I installed them, the message said successfully. Since then though I get again the same 36, sometimes by notification, but all other times when I check for updates too. Control Panel always says the installation was successful, yet next time the same.