How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Andrea Borman, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Did You get Windows Mail Working on Windows 8?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. If yes did it work as well as on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Which do you prefer?

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Windows Mail

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Windows Live Mail

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  9. Was this thread helpful?

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. segolene

segolene MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm using Windows 8 , 64 bit Version. I have two Programme folders: Programme and Programme x86 both containing a Windows Mail folder.

I followed Andrea Bormans advices, disabled the original Windows Mail folders by renaming in Windows Mail8 and created a new Window Mail folder with the files I copied from Vista Window Mail. I also copied the file msidcrl30.dll from Vistas C:\Windows\system32 into \system32 of Windows 8 and, to be sure, also in the Window Mail folder.

Unfortunely it doesn't work. When I try to start Windows Mail I get the message "Windows Mail could not be started because msoe.dll cannot be loaded". The file msoe.dll is in the Window Mail folder.

Could anyone tell me how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.
    segolene

PS. You're always telling about *.DILL files but I see only *.DLL files. For me DILL is an aromatic herb!

2. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    The Windows Mail program file was taken from my Windows Vista computer but the msoe.dll
    was taken from my Windows 7 computer. Also I deleted the Windows 8 Windows Mail program file that is inactive using Unlocker.
    I have not got round to installing Windows 8 Pro yet. But I was using Windows Mail on both Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 8 Release Preview,and it worked on both those versions. It should work on Windows 8 Pro unless they have changed the operating system in some way from Windows 8 RP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. howzit

howzit MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2013
    #43 howzit, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Yip, not working in Windows 8 Professional....

I did all by the instructions transferring it from my Windows 7 pc....
    No luck, its as if the system goes into infinite loop and eat resources...
    Eventually I need to hard reset my laptop to get it working again.

Please help

4. rshelton111

rshelton111 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi Andrea, I followed your instructions and it seemed that all was well until I clicked the WinMail icon and it launched but never appeared. I can check Task Manager and it shows TWO WindowsMail processed launched and running but there is no physical program running. Any ideas? Robert Shelton

5. rshelton111

rshelton111 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi Andrea,

Thanks for all of your assistance. I have followed your steps but with only partial success. I tried several other methods, none of which worked. I have concluded that in Windows 8 Pro 64 something else is needed for compatibility OR Microsoft is so bent on selling their new mail system that they have put in some sort of "block" to keep Windows Mail from working.

Thanks again,

Robert Shelton

6. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    It could be the reason,unless you could install Windows Mail from 64 bit Windows Vista on Windows 8.
    Also a lot of software from older versions of Windows does not run on 64 bit Windows.
    Another reason why I never have 64 bit Windows,I always have 32 bit Windows.
    When I do install my Windows 8 Pro it will be the 32 bit version not 64 bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. maxtorix

maxtorix MDL Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I cannot understand why Mail build 6000 works on 7600, 7600 works on 8400, why they are not functional on the same builds from where they come?!

8. Haaklong

Haaklong MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2013
    I honestly hope they'll put it back in with Windows 8.1 (Blue) because before Windows 7 a desktop e-mail-client was ALWAYS included
    dating back to Microsoft's Outlook Express, I really hope they'll return it soon, because installing them as a Windows Essential is just
    lame, ¿if they're so ''essential'' then why didn't Microsoft just bundle them? although Microsoft has phased out Windows Live so we can
    expect it from Microsoft to start bundeling them now.

9. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well you can get Windows Mail back with Windows 8 Pro. As it's the same thing as with Windows 8 RP. You just copy over the files,though I don't know about 64 bit. As I have only ever used 32 bit Windows 8 and it works on there.

10. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #51 Andrea Borman, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Well I have installed Windows 8 Pro yesterday and Windows Mail is working. The same as it did in Windows 8 RP as you can see in my screenshot. I have installed 32 bit on my netbook.

Windows 8 Pro..JPG

11. pevans47

pevans47 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    Windows Mail POP3 server problem on WIndows 8

Thanks for the information on installing Windows Mail on Windows 8. I copied the Windows Mail folder from my Vista PC to my new Windows 8 PC. Even though I took ownership of the existing Windows Mail folder in Windows 8 I could not delete it nor could I get the Unlock All software working properly so I simply renamed the folder 'Inactive Windows Mail' and that seems to work.

My wife's E-Mail is working perfectly but on my account I can't log in to the POP3 server, it keeps on prompting me for the password but doesn't recognize it. The password and account properties are identically set up for both accounts and are the same as those on the VIsta PC, where both Windows Mail accounts work fine. Do you have any ideas that may help to solve this problem?

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #53 PaulDesmond, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    dinosaur POP3 was finally set to IMAP
    secureimap
    securesmtp
    are new settings as of now

lol found this one on an old machine with outlook 2013 installed. Suddenly Outlook didn't work any more and settings had to be changed to IMAP > now perfect

13. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    [h=2]Poll: Did You get Windows Mail Working on Windows 8?[/h]

• Yes
    • No
    • If yes did it work as well as on Windows Vista or Windows 7?
    • Yes
    • No
    • Which do you prefer?
    • Windows Mail
    • Windows Live Mail
    • Was this thread helpful?
    • Yes

Reading this over and over, I believe this is a "survey" and not a "poll"

14. pevans47

pevans47 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I did try that but my E-Mail server is a POP3 and changing settings to IMAP resulted in WIndows Mail not finding the mail server. My E-Mail server is responding that it has received an incorrect user name or password (although it's the same as on the Vista PC). Server Error is 0x800ccc90 and Error Number is 0x800ccc92.

15. empireum

empireum MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Good guide. It works! :D

16. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    It is the same problem on Windows Vista with both Windows Mail and Outlook Express on Windows XP. This I think is because Live Mail and Hotmail is now called Outlook Mail. So Microsoft have changed the server. As when I try to set up my Hotmail account on Windows XP OE and Windows Vista WM I get the same thing. It keeps on asking me for my password. Windows Mail and Outlook Express work fine with my G Mail and AOL account but not Hotmail.

17. pevans47

pevans47 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    That doesn't seem to be quite the same problem I'm having. My mail server is managed by my Internet Service Provider here in Canada: Rogers Communications, and they have a POP3 server. I realize this is an ancient protocol but I have asked them before and they do not support IMAP; probably because they want everybody to move to webmail and save them the expense of upgrading their mail server. It's relevant that Windows Mail works fine for two accounts on my Vista PC and one account on my Windows 8 PC. As this error is only on one account on one PC I'm begining to think it's specific to the user. Perhaps there is a registry error?? I believe the error codes may be relevant to my problem so I will copy them again here. My E-Mail server is responding that it has received an incorrect user name or password (although it's the same as on the Vista PC). Server Error is 0x800ccc90 and Error Number is 0x800ccc92. I could always phone my ISP's technical support but I generally find they are only equipped to answer simple questions.

18. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well on my Windows XP and Windows Vista computers,I had my Hotmail account set up.Then a few months ago Microsoft changed it to Outlook Mail. Since then none of the Hotmail or Windows Live accounts work in Outlook Express or Windows Mail. Not on Windows XP or Windows Vista either. So I think it's to do with that.

19. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #60 Enigma256, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013