How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Andrea Borman, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Did You get Windows Mail Working on Windows 8?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. If yes did it work as well as on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Which do you prefer?

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Windows Mail

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Windows Live Mail

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  9. Was this thread helpful?

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. gegena

gegena MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2012
    No, and Id like somebody to please, help me!

2. depman

depman MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2008
    Why flog a dead horse? After years of being faithful to outlook express/ winMail finally gave up and tried Thunderbird....just loved it. Loads of add-ons lets you customize.

3. Matt0987

Matt0987 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks for the post. I am very frustrated with windows 8's email program. I did find the files on windows 7 and vista as you indicated. :worthy: Though Unlock did not work, Take Ownership did very well. It even removed the Unlock files that I was not able to install. I believe this little program will be very handy. I have Mail set up. Though I am having troubles with it accessing the incoming mail on one of the two accounts. It sends out fine. But nothing is being retrieved on this one account. I have been very careful to have all of the settings for my accounts exactly the same as on my Live Mail account settings on my old computer. The one I am replacing. But retrieval is not happening. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

4. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I am having exactly the same problem with my Hotmail accounts. It won't connect to the account it keeps asking me to re-enter my password. The same thing is happening on both outlook Express on Windows XP and Windows Mail On my Windows Vista laptop.

So I don't think it is anything to do with Windows Mail being installed on Windows 8 or Windows 7. It could be because Microsoft have converted Live Mail and Hotmail accounts to Outlook Mail.I can access my Hotmail accounts using web mail in a web browser but not with Outlook Express or Windows Mail. It has been like this for two months now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dgneuhard

dgneuhard MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm sorry to say, but I did what you posted How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8 and it's not working. When I click on Windows Mail it just sits and spins the hardrive. Any suggestions as to what I may have missed or did wrong. Using a new Dell laptop!

6. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    It should work if you follow the instructions as I said. I have installed Windows Mail on both Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 8 Release Preview. Both those versions of Windows 8 have now expired as they were only Beta versions.
    But I have not yet installed it on Windows 8 Pro as I have not got round to upgrading as yet.But my guess is that Windows Mail should work on Windows 8 Pro,as it cannot be much different to the Beta versions of Windows 8.
    Are you running 64 bit Windows 8? That could be the reason,as I have only installed on 32 bit,as I don't have any 64 bit Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dgneuhard

dgneuhard MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Yes it's a 64-bit system. I got thinking about the same thing so I went in and deleted Windows Mail out of the Program (x86) and pasted the Vista Windows Mail in there and tried but got same results. But now I'm thinking I should delete the Vista Windows Mail out of the Program Files being that is the 64-bit section. Does that make sense? What do I have to lose it's not working now, trial and error seems to work the best now days. If this works I will let you know. But if anyone else has tried getting Windows Mail working on a Windows 8 64-bit system with success please let me know. Thanks.

8. dgneuhard

dgneuhard MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    further research trying to register the msidcrl30.dll file. when do so get error DLLRegisterServer not found. command used was "regsvr32 c:/windows/system32/msidcrl30.dll". Also, found a Windows Mail 64-bit, but when copying into Program Files get message Need to provide Adminstrator permissions. click continue but never was able to provide administrator permissions. Using a Local Adminstrator account to do this, not understanding why having so many issues. Can't get the WinMail.exe loaded into Program File. I'm beginning not to like Windows 8!!!!o_O

9. Matt0987

Matt0987 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Somewhere, perhaps here, someone said something like, why bother with the old email programs? Just get Windows Essentials. "Really?" I thought. So I looked up Windows Essentials and downloaded it from Microsoft. It is Windows Live 2012. It is made for Windows 7 & 8. First I saved the file at download. Then I went to "Computer", then my "Download" file, clicked on WinMail.exe. During the set up process I was able to choose mail from a number of Windows Essentials applications. I installed it, set up my accounts, and it is running fine. It is Windows Live 2012. It is specific to Windows 7 & 8. Try it out!!!!! :biggrin:

10. dgneuhard

dgneuhard MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Ok got Windows Mail working on Windows 8 except for outgoing mail. Incoming mail working fine but can't get outgoing mail to work. The other day I came across where other people were having the same problem but now I can't fine where I saw it. Can someone let me know what the fix is to get outgoing mail fixed in Windows Mail on Windows 8? Thanks, in advance.

11. dgneuhard

dgneuhard MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    disagree! Windows Mail will work on Windows 8 just need some fine tuning!

12. gthos

gthos MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2013
    Vista Windows Mail "import" to Windows 8

Andrea: Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. An additional question I have is whether my previous Windows Mail (from Vista) will import and be accessible once Vista is gone? Thank you. Tom

13. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Well, I voted "Was this thread helpful?" on the poll :confused:
    (I couldn't find the "Blue", "Friday" or "South-Carolina" options, which would have been my first choice).

On the topic of Windows Mail/ Outlook Express: I use it everyday on XP and Windows 7 systems (on around 10 PC's, hundreds of messages a day), it's a very nice and simple system. Unbelievable how Microsoft managed to make this incompatible between OS's. Just goes to show how they can't even be trusted with making sure that something as basic as an email program should just keep on working for years and years. From this I've learned that I should use MS OS's for the OS part only, and use as little MS applications/ programs as possible...

14. gthos

gthos MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2013
    Import old e-mail messages into Windows Mail in Win8

Matt: What happens to your e-mail messages from your former program. Are you able to import them into the new Windows Mail and access them when using the Windows 8? Thanks
    Tom

15. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  16. Matt0987

Matt0987 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Yes, messages and accounts move to W/8.

17. Matt0987

Matt0987 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Well, I am here to eat my words. After a few days of using Live Email it is not working. Not correctly. A disappointment. It locks up once it has downloaded the emails and then is not able to download as they come in. :-( I have tried "Repairing" it, uninstalling it and re-installing it. That worked for a couple of days. But it does not seem to be a remedy. Windows 8 is such /?@#$%^&.

18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Not shure what this has to do with Windows 8 itself. Running Thunderbird for month now without any issues. For fans of MS products there is also Outlook and some options to activate full Office 15 :D.

19. Matt0987

Matt0987 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    Okay, I got to thinking, and remembered something about program conflicts from years ago. So, I removed Windows 8's mail. It also removed it's associated programs. Calendar and something else I was not using. Did this last evening. It has been 24 hours. No more problems. Windows Essentials 2012 Live Mail seems to be working as I hoped.