How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Andrea Borman, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Did You get Windows Mail Working on Windows 8?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. If yes did it work as well as on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Which do you prefer?

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Windows Mail

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Windows Live Mail

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  9. Was this thread helpful?

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #1 Andrea Borman, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #2 Andrea Borman, Jun 21, 2012
    (OP)
    Outlook Express despite my best efforts, and copying all of the program files from Windows XP onto Windows 8, did not work,nor does Outlook Express work on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

This is because Outlook Express is bundled with Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP and with the earlier versions of Internet Explorer on Windows 2000,Windows 98,95 and Windows NT.

Microsoft bundled Outlook Express with IE4,IE 5 and IE6,but it was not bundled with IE7 and later versions of Internet Explorer. And that could be another reason why outlook Express does not work on Windows Vista,windows 7 or Windows 8. as IE6 is not compatible with Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8.

But Windows Mail is not bundled with Internet Explorer,which is probably why it works on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #3 Andrea Borman, Jun 24, 2012
    (OP)
  4. rogersjr

rogersjr MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    #4 rogersjr, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks for the information on how to install my vista windows mail in windows 8. It works perfectly. If however I click on an email address within an email or, I suspect, on a webpage it takes me to the windows 8 mail app. Is there a way to make clicking on email addresses open my windows mail program that I installed from vista? John Rogers

5. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well I am on Windows 8 now and I am using Windows Mail. And I just got a message through Windows Mail that my thread has had a reply. When you click on an web link in Windows Mail it takes you onto that webpage in your default web browser. And when I click on an email address on a web page,Windows Mail pops up just like outlooks Express does on Windows XP. And I can send an email directly from Windows Mail. And you know that Windows Mail also works on Windows 7 as well as on Windows 8.
    Andrea Borman.

6. MinaJunior

MinaJunior MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2010
    #6 MinaJunior, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Windows 7

Windows Mail can be found on Windows 7 (in a folder named "Windows Mail" under Program Files), but it's not in use, and the software itself (the file WinMail.exe) is hidden and marked as a system file, and cannot be loaded.
    Windows Mail can be re-enabled in Windows 7 by the following actions:

• Connect to Windows as the Administrator user.
    • Right-click the C:\Program Files\Windows Mail folder, and go on the menu to the "Properties" option, press the "Security" Tab, Advanced, there go to "Owners" Tab, Edit, select "Administrators", tick the option "Replace...", and press Apply.
    • Rename the msoe.dll file in Windows Mail directory (so you'll be able to replace it with another file).
    • Copy Windows Vista's msoe.dll file to the folder (c:\Program Files\Windows Mail\Msoe.dll on a Windows Vista machine).
    • Go to "Folder Options" in Control Panel, and untick "Hide protected operating system files", and change the radio button on "Hidden files and folders" to "Show hidden files..." mode.
    • Unhide the file WinMail.exe
    (Note that copying the folder from Vista into 7 will not work)

Windows 8

Windows Mail can also be re-enabled on Windows 8. If you copy the Msidcrl30.dill from Windows/System32 folder on Windows 7 into the Windows/System32 folder on Windows 8.

7. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  8. ShortOnMyDo

ShortOnMyDo MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I use thunderbird. Simply backup the Thunderbird folder in the hidden AppData folders (Local and Roaming) Put them back in the same Windows 8 folder and all your accounts and mails are restored!

9. rogersjr

rogersjr MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    It's a a mystery to me. My Windows Mail as set up per your YouTube video works in all situations except when clicking on email addresses within emails or email addresses on webpages when it opens the useless Windows 8 Mail App. I suspect that the solution lies within the registry. John Rogers

10. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi, I think the secret is what Andrea said in her post:

Windows Mail cant be set as the default (option is grayed out) but if you uninstall Windows Live Mail then normal Windows Mail takes over, give it a try and see if that works out, let us know.

cheers!

11. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  12. rogersjr

rogersjr MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Any hints as to how to uninstall Windows Live Mail? I cannot find it anywhere. John Rogers

13. Cali4niaWK

Cali4niaWK MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I believe you simply rerun the Windows Live Essentials program you have installed 2009, 2011 or 2012 to uninstall the Windows Live Mail program. If it dont then completly uninstall Windows Live Essentials and reinstall it again but uncheck the Windows Live Mail option and all should be good. HINT: You wont lose anything if you decide to reinstal WLM again.

14. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well I have WLE 2009 on both Windows 8 and Windows 7,not 2011 version. And I used to have Windows Live Mail 2009, but I uninstalled it because I was using Windows Mail.Windows Live Mail 2009 can be run alongside Windows Mail and Outlook Express.And they both work. But only one email client can be set as the default program.

Windows Live Mail 2009 can be removed from uninstall programs in control panel under Windows Live Essentials. It should be the same for WLE 2011 and 2012.

15. Gabqc

Gabqc MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows mail working on windows 8 exception for send to that said that have not email program. I tried to install windows live mail and is working ex: send a picture with right click on picture and send to same think in ie10 when you select file and send link or page by email. If I uninstall windows live mail and only keep windows mail I can't do that.

I see when windows live mail was installed in default program I have mapi item that present and cannot uncheck but this mapi item does not appears on windows mail I think the problem is there but have no idea how fix

16. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    #16 Heidegger, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Deleting the Windows 7 or 8 Windows Mail program file,then replacing it with the Windows Vista Windows Mail program file works. Then you also have to copy the Msidcrl30.dill, dill file Windows System 32 in Windows 7 or Windows Vista into Windows System 32 on Windows 8, before Windows Mail will run in Windows 8. But once you have done that Windows Mail works on Windows 8.

There is just one latest problem.And that now on Outlook Express,Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail none of those email programs can connect to my Hotmail or Live.com email accounts. But that's got nothing to do with Windows Mail or outlook Express. I think it's because Hotmail is now becoming Outlook Mail.And now Microsift are trying to encourage users to upgrade their Windows Live or Hotmail account to Outlook.com Mail.

I only started having this problem a months ago,but before that I could connect to my Hotmail accounts in both Outlook Express on windows XP,Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail 2009.But not now.

18. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    running fine here

19. Striperguide

Striperguide MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2012
    I purchased a new Dell with Windows 8, I have a laptop now with Vista and use Outlook but found out that does not work on Win 8 I guess. Anyway I reached and saw I should be able to use Windows Mail, I tired it and found it does not work on Win 8 so I followed the instructions to delete it and copy the program from my vista system, I did and then moveD over the Msidcrl30.dill file and tired to register it and gives me fail to load error. Please help I really need to get an email program working, so I so use to Outlook Express I'm at a lost. I do not Gmail or Yahoo mail.