How much do you know about your drinking water?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I've been using the filter for almost 2 months now and I have to say, the water tastes much better and I feel healthy.

Coffee and tea taste much better, and things like pasta and potatoes have a slightly different, but better taste.

The upper half of the filter smells like a swimming pool, so you can only imagine what's being removed from the water.

A little steep, but definitely worth the purchase.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #22 gorski, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Apart from serious amount of sterilisation s**t in the water, there because various industries had a lot of sideways products to get rid of - for a profit, here in the UK, there are old pipes (Plumbum) to worry about... Certainly, filters are a good idea! Starting with the magnetic one and then another one for all the rest of it...

But what is seriously dangerous is the cumulative effect of this, which I do not think we have a filter for:

And it's everywhere: (plastic) packaging, detergents... you name it!

Really, we're f***ed!!!!!

P.S. And if you listen to conspiracy theorists:

:D :D :D JEEEEZZZZZUUUUSSSSS!!!!! :D :D :D

P.P.S. Actually, just saw this:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #23 gorski, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Well, this is kinda interesting... in a gloomy kinda way...

:mad:

4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Yup. Phyto-estrogens in our diets and endocrine blockers in the water are responsible for -many- birth defects in this country, as well as decreased sperm counts in fertile males.

Oh, and the filter that I own removes flourides from the water. ;)

5. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    Most sewage treatment plants haven't changed much in the past 100 years or so. For example if I understand correctly
    in NYC they have a system that takes the bulk of human waste and separates it from the liquid then concentrates/drys
    it to a certain extent. Guess what they do with that waste? Sell it to farmers for fertilizer. :D
    Do you get any warning on your food that's been grown with that? No. Just like you don't get GMO/Non-GMO stickers
    on your food (It's law in Europe). Someone mentioned animal waste in the water, I don't really think the free range animals next to
    water sources is a big issue. The bigger problem is the industrial type facilities that have the animals all cooped up and have trenches
    for run off. A lot of those places end up running off into streams/rivers etc. With that you get all the typical animal waste problems
    plus we get antibiotics, steroids, growth hormones etc. Hooray.

From what I remember NYC is fed from one of the best watersheds around. (Which they want to start fracing.)
    As for the chlorine I think that's a problem happening all over.
    If you look at the news there is almost always some area that's being "flushed" for whatever reason, with that always comes
    the nice public pool smell. Then you have the "boil water" alerts.
    "Volatile organic compounds, fluoride, and an estimated 75,000+ other chemical compounds are not removed through conventional filtration"
    Not to mention all the medications that people have excreted out into the sewer lines. (Don't know if those are counted in the 75,000+ figure)
    That's partially why they are up in a fuss about men loosing testosterone, birth control and other estrogen containing substances end up
    in the water supply just like the medications. (Fun fact, those thermal printed receipts that are in use now contain a good amount of estrogen.) Clean water is being destroyed at an alarming rate. They are having to dig wells deeper and deeper to get to the same amount
    of water that was available before. If you look at companies like Nestle they are huge multinationals now. They have bought up almost
    all of the small spring fed operations and in most cases still bottle and sell them under their original names. The other trick in play is
    companies like Dasani (coca-cola) draws water from several sources and mixes it to obtain a flavor that matches the brand no matter
    where you are. Do they give access to water to the people who live on the land that they are extracting it from? No. There are people in
    poverty fighting and killing each other over access to wells that are deep enough to get whats left of the water table. Take a look at what
    all of the rich artists have done/been informed by their financial consultants. Start your own bottled water company! (Or liquor brand).
    As was said before there are a few types of bottled water. The spring fed (Which you just need to read the bottle to find out what sources
    it was drawn from). The local municipality (Tap water that they just filter). Then the tap water drawn/filtered with minerals added.

On top of all these issues, I personally have a problem with this: Who can afford to drink great water from a glass bottle??
    So we are left to the plastic bottles. Try to find out what that exact plastic is or what mixes it's made from. You can't. In fact, most of the
    companies don't manufacture their own bottles. So a good amount of the companies either don't actually know themselves or are just flat
    out lying about it knowing full well it's not good for your health. You may be able to get some sort of idea based on the number provided in the recycle logo but that doesn't mean much. One small upside of that is I can tell you when they recycle plastics they don't reuse any that's been used for food/drink to make new products of the same sort. All plastic off gases, so if that's true what is leeching into bottled water? We are all screwed one way or another. Life evolves over huge spans of time. We are killing everything and ourselves at a record
    pace. I'm not above anyone else, we all play a role but the industrial machine is going to keep churning as long as they are printing their
    own money. What I can do is pass on what I've learned and hope it may inform some people. The more who know and are shocked the
    more we can do to hopefully make real change. The general public has and is being dumbed down through false information and studies.
    I have learned a lot here and am grateful to exchange knowledge and ideas with everyone here.

There are some people making real moves as I'm sure you know.
    Perfect example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot_(water_vapor_distillation_system)

I feel like I may have said all of this before in another thread? :confused: Pardon me if I have.

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I think it comes down to creating fear for commercial reasons. Bottled water is typically overpriced, and in many regions probably still come in plastic bottles containing BPA's that leach into the water, along with other nasties. Tap water isn't 'pure' in terms of what society terms 'pure' as (pure is technically any water that is safe to drink, not water that is just water and nothing else). Most of these 'impurities' are just dissolved minerals, a bit of carbonic acid etc (that isn't bad!), but it does also contain other things like chlorine and fluoride. Chlorine is there to prevent biological activity, it's not really something you can go without in water and it be safe. Fluoride is there to harden your teeth to reduce tooth decay. There is by far a much larger amount of fluoride in toothpaste and mouthwash, does that mean we shouldn't ever brush our teeth and rely on the dentist for fillings? There are toothpastes that don't contain fluoride, but very few of these are actually any good. People who promote these toothpastes generally have a lifestyle that doesn't include processed sugar or carbonated drinks, so their argument of not having tooth decay and using them and avoiding fluoride is a result of them being 'hippies' more than anything else!

So, no point avoiding fluoride in tap water if you use an normal toothpaste, you need to use a decent non-fluoride toothpaste like Grant's toothpaste. Also you really need to cut out anything with high-fructose corn syrup (a very American thing), processed sugar (if you must add sugar use raw suger, or even better LoGiCane), and carbonated soft drinks (particularly those with processed sugar products in them). If you don't do this and drink non-fluoridated water and non-fluoride toothpaste (like I said, no point on non-fluoride water if you use fluoride toothpaste), I'm sure you dentist will be happy with the increased business in 10 years time.

7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I read lot of stuff about how plastic changes our life (in a negative way) and that this is maybe one of the (many) reasons why more and more people getting cancer. So whenever it's possible I try to drink water from glass bottle instead of plastic one. Or I stick with my coffee. :p

No one seriously can't tell me that it not changes something if everything comes with plastic and the stuff you eat/drink then absorbs things from it. I'm really worried about this.

Wish there would be more discussion on MDL about such things, because in media they want to promote their crap (to make money) and at the end you not know what is good for you or not. :mushy:

I find such topics interesting because (when it's to late) people whining about their life or that they got cancer but no one shows/tells you what to do how to lower such risks.

Btw funny fact about 'water' is that nestle and other corpish buy huge water reservoir and then they fill normal water in a bottle and sell it for 3 euros. :sneaky:

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    :g: You mean like George W. Bush's 98,840 acre parcel in the Paso de Patria area called "Chaco" in Paraguay which just happens to be directly over top of the Guarani Aquifer ?
    You know, the one he bought in 2006, in a country which in 2005 passed a law that allowed the country to harbor international criminals.

( The more diplomatic phrasing is that they granted immunity to U.S. military, [thus, including Commander-in-Chief Bush] from the International Criminal Court if indicted for war crimes or crimes against humanity. )

9. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Which make/model, please? Thanx!

Melted: this planet is 70% covered with water. This is not in Q. The issue is energy!

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: This is the filter I own. I also recommended it to JFKI. Hopefully, he'll share his thoughts on it as well.

http://www.propurusa.com/Propur-Prepper-Nomad_p_211.html

Best of health to you and yours. :)

Edit: Take a look at the tests results. They now include Radiologicals. ;)

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    So far I am very happy with it.
    It is amazing how good my coffee tastes now, the "chemical" bitterness is gone and I am using about half the sugar I used to.
    ( which was a heaping teaspoon per 12 oz. )

Thanks MJ. :thumbsup:

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Looking at the report for my town now.

Looks like it is high ( greater than 75% of MCL ) in
    Magnesium
    Calcium
    Copper
    Sodium
    Chloride
    Nickel
    Toxaphene
    Heptachlor Epoxide
    Lindane
    *2-Chlorotoluene
    **1,2-Dibromo - 3- chloropropane

* equals MCL
    ** reading is <0.5, MCL is 0.2

Looking at the dates there should be a new report next month.

I guess I should have paid more attention in chemistry class... Or maybe skipped out less. :dunno:

15. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    I wonder if the volatile organic compounds aren't tested for, or just left out?

16. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #36 CHEF-KOCH, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Because we talking about water, ...

... Let's say you have a filter system in your house it filters the water which comes from the water center to your house but how to deal with the rest?! From the filter to your e.g. shower? I recently saw old water drains/pipes and it was disgusting ... Full of dirt and stuff I better not talk about, and the guy said it's normal that it looks like this (in only 10 years .. warm water even speed up such a process).

[​IMG]

So you can't replace every year entire pipes in your house! So how to deal with this? :dunno:

Any ideas? I mean it's pointless to filter water and then rest of the system isn't filtered?! :dunno:

I shower :shower: 20 minutes every day ... I'm worried. o_O

We fly to the moan but haven't any coating against such crap :g: ...

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/co...ne#datasheet=lcss&section=Physical-Properties

Looks like this is what was causing my kidney pains and the red eyes after getting out of the shower.
    Boiling point of 195º so that was likely most of the "steam" when I made a pot of coffee which I don't get with the Keurig.
    Health symptoms:
    irritation eyes, skin, nose, throat; drowsiness; nausea, vomiting; pulmonary edema; liver, kidney injury; sterility; [potential occupational carcinogen]

Although https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/7238#datasheet=lcss&section=Top probably contributes to the red eyes as well.

According to http://www.propurusa.com/assets/images/Lab Report 15-134.pdf
    The first isn't listed and there is a 99.5% reduction of the second.

:dunno:

18. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #38 JFKI, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Very good point, but there is no "cure" for that.
    Water has been dubbed "the universal solvent", and it is.
    The condition you cite is caused by the water coming to a standstill within the pipes when it is not in use and all the "contaminants" settling out of it at those times. Water mains which are buried in the streets are just as susceptible.

Theoretically you *could* engineer a system where the water does not come to a standstill, but that would be wasting way too much potable water.

Edit to add: Around here when there is a fire nearby and the trucks draw thousands of gallons per minute from those water mains, you can count on brown water for about 2 days just because the water flow has loosened that sediment.

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: I looked for it too and it's not there.

My feeling is that if you have that chemical in your water, you'll be exposed to it from the shower as well as drinking it.
    In that case, you will either have to move or install a house-wide filter.

I would email the ProPur people and ask them about it. I wonder if it was omitted from the test, simply because it's been outlawed for use in America for many years. You might even recommend that they test for it, simply to put them on par with Britta, which claims to filter it out.

20. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep CK I agree and don't see none solution for this unfortunately because with billions of people's using water everyday who can trust in water quality? :g: