How much do you know about your drinking water?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi All,
    Many of us live in places where the drinking water is sub-standard or possibly polluted.
    Please tell us about your drinking water and what you do to make it safe to drink.

Here's what I'm planning on doing.

https://purewaterfreedom.com/fluoride-filters/proone-d-nomad.html

I just bought this, and awaiting delivery.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Well, the real question is not how much I know about my drinking water, but rather how much those that prepare it know. And they assure me that it’s suitable for drinking without reservations.

As to what I can do if I don’t believe them, I can just buy drinking water from the supermarket. At about 2 Euros for 10 liters, it’s affordable, what I really hate is carrying it.

So I’m following an intermediate solution which is fitting a carbon filter to the tap. This removes added chlorine and suspended particles, possibly also some microorganisms. I believe or rather hope, this is the optimum arrangement, because the mineral composition of tap water is controlled, and is theoretically better than bottled mountain water, only it doesn’t taste so good.

3. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

seeing as many companies try to screw the consumer over by any means possible, there is not going to be much difference between bottled water and tap water. some maybe, but not enough to make a major difference to my lifespan, so i drink the crap from the tap. i might filter boiled water for tea through a tea strainer, but thats just to get any sizable bitsof limescale from the kettle out.

like Lew says about bottled water, its a couple in pittsburgh in a bathtub fillin them fxxxxxx bottles.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yup... bottled, mineral or "natural spring" branded types of water is just plain ol' tap water from a well. The more mineral it is, the less filtration. Distilled water is 100% water and nothing else, around here I can get a gallon for .85¢. It comes from a local milk company, maybe it is a by-product... I do not know.
    I get yearly reports from my township on our water quality, but then your depending on a govt agency that has been known to contaminate an entire city with lead. ( I live in Mich and the city of Flint was a news story) luckily, I live a distance from Flint

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: It could be. Perhaps it's steam collected from the pasteurization process and condensed into distilled water.

Have you had your electrolyte and essential mineral levels checked by a doctor? If you're missing certain essentials, then perhaps a multi-vitamin might do you some good.

Just a thought.

6. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#6 BrianCohen, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    clean this, filter that,,,,,

im with george on this one

7. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#7 BrianCohen, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
    the EU are fast tracking the Paris fossil fuel/climate change bill, conspiracy theory is that they want to get it in before fart or hilary(ous) get in then tell them to shove it. it was on the 6pm news.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    This country has vast amounts of corn grain and we should use that to distill our clean drinking "water"

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @bat.1: You're absolutely right about water. It's the ultimate essential. And as we get older, we need to take better care of ourselves.

Clean water is a start. ;)

@Joe C: And for the rest of us...Beer. :D

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Actually somewhere I read that beer was created because the water in the Nile carried too much bacteria and was getting people deathly sick and beer produced a natural antibiotic which prevented that. :dunno:

11. BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    #11 BaconCheeseburger, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    That burger you ate came from a cow that is highly likely to have lived near me. They fed that cow, corn, soy, hay and of course lots of antibiotics. But they also feed cattle sawdust, and if you had a cheeseburger they add sawdust to the cheese too. Don’t forget chicken $hit. Feedlots often have chicken plants nearby and cows will eat that and any other dead chickens or their parts they toss in.

So what does this have to do with my water? Well, all that cow $hit has to go somewhere. Pigs will eat some of it. But most is spread out on the corn fields. And the corn has been genetically modified to survive all the weed killer they spray on it. When it rains all that manure and chemicals run off into the local rivers. Now my city is one of the larger ones around here. And we are real proud of our ‘nitrate removal plant’ at the water works. Nitrate being another name for $hit. And our ‘nitrate’ plant is one of the largest in the country. Even so 5 or 6 months of the year my water bill comes with a warning, “Caution due to elevated nitrate levels infants, the elderly and people with health problems should avoid drinking the water.”

Are you’re sayin’ gee sumthin’ should be done! Our governor is in close contact with the big corporate farm executives. He has his lips pressed firmly against their sphincters. His plan is to take money from the state school funds and give it to the big corporate farms so that they can learn to maybe do something different. Maybe being the important word. In our modern corporate paradise we don’t want to have rules or regulations. So my local community is going to court to sue several other areas that have an abundance of corporate farms.

Are you thinking my what brave and noble people you are? Naw, all that $hit sludge from the ‘nitrate’ plant is poured back into the river downstream. And it’s a long way to the sea.

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    And just think, less than 300 years ago the buffalo population in the US was near to the human population of the globe.

Makes me wonder what the effects of all that buffalo excriment and urine had on the water tables.

13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: Lifespans were shorter back then. If you lived to the ripe old age of 30, you were doing quite well.

14. BaconCheeseburger

Aug 23, 2015
    There was once 30 million bison or as the song goes, "where the buffalo roam." This roaming area had natural marsh lands that slowed the drainage of water and filtered it. They drained the marshes, leveled the land and there are now 90 million cows. They no longer roam.

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    So what you are saying is that by slowing and filtering the sewage it just vanishes ? :confused:

Edit to add : OK, I'll work with your number of 30 million. Over how many centuries ?

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Well, I think it is phantastic how these fine young men whose kind still inhabit that greatest country on the earth have helped solve the problem of the bison....

[​IMG]picupload

If you want more information about those times, a fellow by the name of Cormack McCarthy wrote lots of books about that wonderful time.

17. BaconCheeseburger

Aug 23, 2015
    Marshland slows the movement of water and lets the dissolved manure settle into the soil. Marsh plants eventually become insects, bison, fish, birds, ducks, frogs, foxes, coyotes and wolves. Etc.

When nitrates, both organic and chemical, are allowed to drain too quickly into rivers it causes algae blooms. Algal bloom, check those out at wikipedia.

I would define the 30 million bison as how many alive at one time. That’s conservative, I’ve seen estimates of twice as many. This probably hit a peak just before the 1500s.

They are good eating. Tastier than beef and less fattening.

18. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm told the water is safe. It looks okay. There is no odor. I just can't explain why my throat clenches up when I attempt to drink it. Sticking to filtered/bottled, thank you very much.

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Regarding the buffalo existence, what I find most unfortunate is that one of their biggest exterminators is regarded as a legend of American heritage. I'm talking of course of Buffalo Bill.

20. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm from the Bronx I live in Washington state now when I came out here in 1961 I used to do a lot of hiking no map no compass I did a lot of highland lake fishing, drank water from streams lakes never got sick from it ! now they tell you not to drink from streams or lakes the animals go poop and pee in it o_O I'm sure glad they waited until after I went fishing to go potty . the water from the faucet was good at first but you get into a nice hot shower and it reeks of chlorine or get a drink you can smell it ! we have purified water delivered in 5 gal jugs now and shower at the ymca for some reason the water doesn't stink there . I still drink water from streams when I go to pick mushrooms the well mannered animals wait for me to leave before they potty in the stream :clap: the people should check where they are going to get water around here before they build and make sure nobody's building a garbage dump over the aquifer that your water comes from ! that's why they had to add chlorine to our water the water from the dump leached into ours and its needed to kill the bacteria :mad: at least I don't live near a nuke dump :D