Help With Blinking Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kushalsv, Feb 17, 2017.

1. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    #1 kushalsv, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Hello!

I have a problem with my windows 10 x64, need some help.
    First thing first, my specs

Intel Core i5 4690
    Asus B85MG Mobo
    Kingston HyperX 8G DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 1060 6G
    Seasonic S12 II 520W PSU

I installed Windows 10 and activated it via Microsoft Toolkit downloaded from here, It worked fine. Current build version -- Windows 10 1607(OS Build 14393.693) Installed my graphics drivers too, currently on 378.66. Restarted after installing, normal all fine. I mainly work on graphics so I installed the necessary softwares I use such as Adobe AE, PS, IL and Cinema 4D.

Now I shut down my PC and turn it on after a while, the boot screen with the spinning balls starts flashing/blinking on-off, this continues till I login to the desktop, same blinking/flashing with the lowest res set, think 800x600. My native res is 1440x900.

I can barely use the PC with the constant blinking/flashing. I turn off the PC and sometimes it reverts back to normal or starts blinking/flashing again. I have to keep restarting/Shutting down the PC to get it back to normal.

I grew tired of this and went to see if it happens on 7. So I made a fresh install of 7 and nothing happened there. So I thought I might have fixed it and came back to 10, another fresh install! Same blinking/flashing.

What do I do!? Please help.

EDIT :

OK I have forgotten to mention a few things.

I have an ancient dinosaur era Acer AL1702W VGA Monitor with a max resolution of 1440x900.
    My Zotac GTX 1060 6G doesn't have a VGA port, only a DVI Port (24+1 pin) and HDMI ports. I'm currently using a generic VGA to HDMI adapter/converter.

OK, Since I made this post I used my PC several times and rebooted it a few times just to see if I can reproduce the blinking, It hasn't happened yet. When it happens the screen blinks in 1~2 second intervals, I can use the PC even when its happening. I wanted to see if this was a driver issue, I opened up nvidia control panel it was fine, I opened up device manager and everything seemed fine. So, I shut down the PC and started it again, it behaved normally. I don't know when this blinking issue will pop up again.

I spoke to a computer tech guy in my neighborhood, and he gave me a couple of VGA to DVI adaptors,(DVI-I & DVI-D)they were 24+1 pin ones, I connected them up and my monitor said "Not supported" once and "Not connected", retried with the same results. But, my VGA to HDMI is working...so far. The tech guy also said, 24+1 pin DVI are sometimes not reliable/faulty. I don't know if he was correct. He also mentioned there was nothing wrong with my card or drivers, it is just the monitor/connectors. And the fact that my monitor is so old can also be an issue. IS he right? Please help. :worthy:

As of now, No blinking issues...yet.
    What do I have to do? Do i have to get a new monitor?

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Reboot in safe mode if there is no flickering/blinking then the problem is coming from the video driver

3. Himitsu

Himitsu MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I have this problem with my gtx 1080. Do you have 2 monitors on your pc? My problem was solved when I disconected one of them.

4. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    OK I have forgotten to mention a few things.

I have an ancient dinosaur era Acer AL1702W VGA Monitor with a max resolution of 1440x900.
    My Zotac GTX 1060 6G doesn't have a VGA port, only a DVI Port (24+1 pin) and HDMI ports. I'm currently using a generic VGA to HDMI adapter/converter.

OK, Since I made this post I used my PC several times and rebooted it a few times just to see if I can reproduce the blinking, It hasn't happened yet. When it happens the screen blinks in 1~2 second intervals, I can use the PC even when its happening. I wanted to see if this was a driver issue, I opened up nvidia control panel it was fine, I opened up device manager and everything seemed fine. So, I shut down the PC and started it again, it behaved normally. I don't know when this blinking issue will pop up again.

I spoke to a computer tech guy in my neighborhood, and he gave me a couple of VGA to DVI adaptors,(DVI-I & DVI-D)they were 24+1 pin ones, I connected them up and my monitor said "Not supported" once and "Not connected", retried with the same results. But, my VGA to HDMI is working...so far. The tech guy also said, 24+1 pin DVI are sometimes not reliable/faulty. I don't know if he was correct. He also mentioned there was nothing wrong with my card or drivers, it is just the monitor/connectors. And the fact that my monitor is so old can also be an issue. IS he right? Please help. :worthy:

As of now, No blinking issues...yet.
    What do I have to do? Do i have to get a new monitor?

5. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Jes do it a new monitor :)

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    Alright, I'll repost it there.

8. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    Help with Blinking Monitor

-- I was told to post it here from Windows 10 Forum --

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    right click background.. turn off custom scaling or if set to %125.. put on 100. then logof or restart.

if no good then..
    boot to safemode with networking by
    click power.. then holding left side SHIFT click restart.. let go of shift after 6 seconds or so.
    choose troubleshooting .. advanced. startup settings.. restart.. then choose F5 on keyboard. remove nvidia in device manager.. reboot.
    might have to uninstall driver 2 times for it to work.

10. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    #10 kushalsv, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    (OP)
    Ok this might sound extremely stupid of me, but hear me out.

I shutdown my system as I wanted to recreate the blinking issue. turned on the pc after 5 mins, as expected screen started blinking. I was patient this time and let the pc stay on as is, it stayed blinking for about 2 mins and stopped, the resolution was normal native. retried it a couple more times and same result. did my monitor just fix itself!?

EDIT:

In resolution settings, there is a hitch though. The native resoultion of my monitor is 1440x900, there it is showing as 1024x768! Please dont tell me my card is dead or something. I can play games and do gfx related stuff, no problems there.

Also in nvidia control panel, My monitor is usually named with its original name "Acer AL1072W", now it just says "Digital Display."

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its likely corrupt win 10..
    id run windows repair portable in safemode.. service permissions and registry. fix win updates also.
    seems its not installing properly the driver.. remove monitors in device manager also boot with 1 monitor at first.

12. kushalsv

kushalsv MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    I only have 1 monitor. Also this is a fresh install with the ISO downloaded from Microsoft site. I haven't made any registry edits nor have I messed with the system files. I'm not questioning you, just my thoughts.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its a glitch in win 10 and driver installs... permissions issues with device install and device setup manager.

if its new win 10.. i would check crc md5 of the iso.. or test ram, hdd

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Try to reinstall the driver using the Device Manager.